Thread: Cressi footpocket sizes: Quite large for the stated size

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar

Cressi footpocket sizes: Quite large for the stated size

Just got my new Cressi Gara Modular fins, and the footpockets turned out to be really big, bigger than my 10-ish year old ones. Ordered European size 42-43, as I had them in my old fins and they fit my 40ish feet snugly when wearing 3mm socks, perfect for open water use. But the new ones are really huge! The footpockets are really loose, even with socks, although the stated size is the same (42-43) on both fins. There are some trifold rubber straps for fixing the fins to the feet, and they work fine, but maybe thicker socks would be necessary, too.

It seems that the new sizing already implies the use of socks, at least that would make some sense. I normally have something between 39 and 41 without socks, depending on the footpocket shape, and the new 40-41 should be ok, if I use socks. Just something to keep in mind, I think.

Anyone else noticed this? And how do you choose your fin size? Any hints?

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I found this in the description. My guess is that is why you found the difference.
    "The foot pocket's volume has been revised after aggressive anatomic studies, in such a way as the volume is proportional to the widening effect that the foot causes depending on the foot size. It doesn't follow a fixed proportion size by size because proportionally a small foot fattens" more than a big foot when putting the foot in the foot pocket."
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I found this in the description. My guess is that is why you found the difference.
    "The foot pocket's volume has been revised after aggressive anatomic studies, in such a way as the volume is proportional to the widening effect that the foot causes depending on the foot size. It doesn't follow a fixed proportion size by size because proportionally a small foot fattens" more than a big foot when putting the foot in the foot pocket."
    Hm. Maybe that is the case. Ordered the 40-41 version also, just in case. And other fellow freedivers confirmed that sometimes those sizes differ, and that it is best to try them on. Problem is, they are really niche products, and most dive shops around here don't stock much freediving fins and just order as required, so a bit of a hen-and-egg issue there...

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app