Thread: Motorised monofin

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel

Motorised monofin

This thing looks sketchy. Every swimmer in it, is using their legs to get that extra bit of propulsion going. And that big hole in the middle of the fin? The water goes straight through, there is no resistance. I'm no expert nor a freediver, but eh...

I suggested that it would be better if the blade was a stiffer grade, holeless and the motors were by the ankles. I'm on the assumption that it is a motorised monofin with an engine.

But they say, that the "motor" relies on the strength of your kick to get you moving. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using your dolphin kick?

What do you technical mers think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfB...57176721856859
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    they say it's sort of an electric push that you get from using your kick (?). Not sure if that classifies as a "motor".
    First I thought this was a variety of underwater scooter, but apparently not.

They claim their fin is faster than any other in existence, which is quite a bold statement.
    The guy laboriously swimming in it certainly doesn't look too fast, but maybe he's simply not good at dolphin.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    All I could see was a guy fin flopping underwater, there was no sense of swimming any faster than without the motor and normal monofin
    Your imagination is your only limit

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I would say these guys are just trying to get their product sold.

Their statement "experienced freedivers use very soft fins" isn't true at all, it totally depends on the diver in question.
    I asked if they have any data to back up their claim that their fin is the fastest.
    That should be good^^
    seeing as their advertising diver is hardly getting forward

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The hole looks like its an afterthought, it was added when they realized the fin was hitting the duct on the propeller. Its not going to hurt propulsion much.
    Overall, the users look slow. But then they also don't dolphin kick that well.
    It sounds like they have a sensor in there that turns on the motor when it detects you are kicking, so it's sort of a booster. There are bicycle boosters that work the same way, they run when you pedal.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I really can't tell it adding much to the swimmer's speed? If they showed us with the motor on vs off then maybe we could see a difference. I like the softness of the fin, but this seems like a product very much geared toward advanced swimmers, who I agree, are more likely to use a stiffer fin...putting a motor on a fin is an interesting idea, but it could use some work.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    To my question whether they have any data, like speed test comparisons, to back up their claim their fin is the fastest;
    they replied with....repeating their whole sales pitch, without any mention of having done any actual speed testing.

aka, they are talking out of their blowholes.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    To my question whether they have any data, like speed test comparisons, to back up their claim their fin is the fastest;
    they replied with....repeating their whole sales pitch, without any mention of having done any actual speed testing.

aka, they are talking out of their blowholes.
    Lol! Money grabbers!
    Formerly known as ireneho