Thread: Waterproof DIY

Cool Waterproof DIY

Hello fish friends!

I'm going to make a top and headpiece out of an old bra and some quagga mussel shells harvested from a schoolship I work on. What kind of adhesives do you guys recommend for sticking organic material to fabric?
    In addition to the mussels I have a set of large scallops I can use for the classic mer-boob look. Those are heavier; should I use something different?

Additional fun anecdote: When my cousin Luke was much younger, he loved watching the little mermaid with his sisters. For, like, three years he would call bras "boob shells." He would bring up bras and swim tops just to ask about our boob shells. It was cute and hilarious.

TY!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Don't use hot glue. It doesn't stretch, and cracks easily.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I prefer to drill little holes and sew everything onto a base.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    From what I also understand of it - Chlorine will also degrade hot glue, and while E6000 is a viable adhesive, a lot of caution is to be advised using it because of the nature of its fumes - it's known to store in fat cells, and when those cells get used, it releases back into the body and can give you a pretty bad time for a while if you had a lot of exposure to it. Stay safe, work in a well-ventilated area!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    If you are gonna use E6000, I recommend reading this thread: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...ighlight=e6000
    It just highlights what E6000 can do if you're not careful while using it as the stuff is super toxic.
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

I wouldn't use it if I was gonna be swimming in the ocean or lakes etc. I dunno what it will do with wildlife, plus I'll be using it to stick sequins to so this tail pool and dry land only

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I think once it's dry it should be fine, it's just the uncured stuff you have to be careful with.
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer