Thread: Extended, thick mermaid tails

Extended, thick mermaid tails

Hello!

I would love to buy a professional silicone mermaid tail and I’ve been doing research for quite a while now.
    But I never seem to find thick, extended, no-leg show mermaid tails like the ones in H2O: Just Add Water and Aquamarine. The tails I found are beautiful, but the material is too close to the legs and the heels are too visible.

Do you know where I can find a tail like that?

Lots of love,
    Mermaid Jodi

PS: I don't know how to apply images haha

[IMG]file:///Users/joelle/Desktop/893ab92a2056d1426150380e5a5cd954.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///Users/joelle/Desktop/Screenshot%202019-06-05%20at%2000.22.47.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///Users/joelle/Desktop/H20-Just-Add-Water-h2o-just-add-water-31403862-600-399.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///Users/joelle/Desktop/Mermaids-Costumes-h2o-just-add-water-26141931-399-301.jpg[/IMG]

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Tails like H2O, while looking very realistic, have as tradeoff a limited manouverability.
    You will neep helpers to put you in the water and get you out again (the things are very heavy and you can move even less than in a "normal" tail).
    Plus, they will easily cost double that of a tail on the market.
    There is probably a reason why such tails aren't regularly made and sold, they are movie props.

You might be able to snag one which has been used and is sold after.
    I know some mers here have attempted to make a similar tails themselves, but I haven't seen a ready to use version so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Tails like H2O, while looking very realistic, have as tradeoff a limited manouverability.
    You will neep helpers to put you in the water and get you out again (the things are very heavy and you can move even less than in a "normal" tail).
    Plus, they will easily cost double that of a tail on the market.
    There is probably a reason why such tails aren't regularly made and sold, they are movie props.

You might be able to snag one which has been used and is sold after.
    I know some mers here have attempted to make a similar tails themselves, but I haven't seen a ready to use version so far.
    Thank you so much for your honest answer!
    You are completely right and it must be quite difficult to use.
    Do you happen to know a mer who makes them and sells it for private use?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    you could search for "extended tail"-threads, there are a few. Maybe someone made one and is willing to try.

Alternately, you could go for an extended fin (like the Lunocet or Dol-Fin) and make a tailskin for that.
    The Lunocet in particular looks quite ok in a tail, it's fast and it certainly gives you a longer, more streamlined look.
    It also seems to fit in most Magictail skins. Good luck!

Hey Joelle, I am not sure if you know this but the H2O tails the actresses wear on that show? they actually have 2 separate tails. The dry land tail which is floppy, and their swimming tail (very stiff fin) which as Ecidna pointed out requires helpers (safety team). They have to be put in and taken out of the water. Also you may have to wear weights, (foam is used to help hide heals and smooth out tail). Oh and they had to have a body cast taken for it. so yea real expensive, plus difficult tail. (I'm working a show right now so I did put in a couple of calls when I saw your post yesterday too see if anyone had line on tail props. No luck. From what I was told is IF something like that goes up for sale it is usually to an auction house where it goes for $$$$$$$$). But if I hear of anything else I will let you know

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    There is a mermaid here, that made her own heel-less silicone tail. I can't remember her name though. I know the tail is blue...

You could aim for a tail that has heel fins. That kinda hides the obvious heel bump.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 06-08-2019 at 01:15 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    A few notes:
    The foam used for the H2O tails was silicone foam. It is an open cell foam, so it can flood with water. Its expensive, and tears propagate easily in it.
    I own a Lunocet, and made tails for it. It has the issue that there is a gap between your toes and the fluke, and the cloth of my tail would sag into that gap, looking rather ugly. I tried bridging the gap with a neoprene sleeve, with limited success. I did nothing to hide my heals, which also looked rather bad. I plan on trying to use foam blocks to try and make something better looking.
    It does have excellent propulsion.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

You can check out crowcaw fx , i know that he's made an extended tail before

Quote Originally Posted by Mermoviemedic View Post
    Hey Joelle, I am not sure if you know this but the H2O tails the actresses wear on that show? they actually have 2 separate tails. The dry land tail which is floppy, and their swimming tail (very stiff fin) which as Ecidna pointed out requires helpers (safety team). They have to be put in and taken out of the water. Also you may have to wear weights, (foam is used to help hide heals and smooth out tail). Oh and they had to have a body cast taken for it. so yea real expensive, plus difficult tail. (I'm working a show right now so I did put in a couple of calls when I saw your post yesterday too see if anyone had line on tail props. No luck. From what I was told is IF something like that goes up for sale it is usually to an auction house where it goes for $$$$$$$$). But if I hear of anything else I will let you know
    Wow, thank you so much for this piece of information! I didn't know that about H2O!
    I can imagine it being too heavy to swim in and really expensive..
    Thank you for making those calls, you didn't have to, but thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by danger369 View Post
    You can check out crowcaw fx , i know that he's made an extended tail before
    I have contacted him and will be designing a tail for him to make! Thank you so much for referring him to me

Check out @mermaid.real.aquata on Instagram. She has some really well done extended tails that hide the heels beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    I'm really not keen on the extended tails myself.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I'd like to know why

For me I can always see where the feet end and I just dont like the look of them. This is not a dig at anyone that makes them or likes them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

look at the tails of sikiredfins they´re really comfortable and it´s pretty fun swimming in them!
    or mermaid real aquata
    crowcaw-fx

When I was first getting into mermaiding I also liked to fantasize about an extended tail that looked more "realistic" than knees and ankle joints on a tail. But after getting used to seeing most mermaid tails, watching an extended tail in motion gives me a headache. They're MORE flexible than a human spine, and look weird since we still have our hip joints, which cannot be hidden. So it goes from looking like a solid human to a broken fish tail, and it looks dizzying and painful.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

They're MORE flexible than a human spine, and look weird since we still have our hip joints, which cannot be hidden. So it goes from looking like a solid human to a broken fish tail, and it looks dizzying and painful.
    Since a mermaid is part human, it makes sense that there would be some muscles / joints, it would look super weird if mermaids didn't have a butt, for example. Here's another extended mermaid tail style. She's very graceful in her swimming. What do you think of this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4YIeqpZcs

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by she11sea View Post
    What do you think of this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4YIeqpZcs
    mermaid Aquata is a legend
    first extended tail I've seen that looks flawlessly realistic, AND she's able to swim gracefully in it.

Her tails are absolutely perfect for people who like extended tails, as well as those who go for the dragon-serpent-mersona
    (mermaids are the female version of dragons in many cultures).

But I can also see why someone might prefer the shorter, "normal" tails looks-wise- they appear a bit more human, so to speak, and are probably a lot easier to manage.

I want to love the long tails too, but I agree with Blue Corvidae...there's three joints and it sets off my "uncanny valley" response. We'll never achieve the bendiness of a real fish without CGI. But I totally see why folks like them. To each their own!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook