Thread: THE INJUSTICE!!

Member Undisclosed Pod

THE INJUSTICE!!

Hi,
    so, I just got my first finfun tail (Asian Magenta) And I really want to swim in it. we don't have a pool at my house, So I WAS going to swim at the YMCA (Independent health In Buffalo) BUT THEY WONT LET ME!!! I am so disappointed, So does anyone have any idea On Other places I could swim, And How I could convince them to let me swim At the Y. Thanks for Listening(Reading, I guess?) To Me complain about THE INJUSTICE!!!
    Me
    (Madeleine)

The whole of the UK pretty much doesn't let you swim in a tail. I'm only able to because I do mermaid swimming lessons.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Call the local pools in your area. Another thing you could try are, hotel pools. Call in advance and offer to pay for the use of the pool.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I've been consulting with a couple mermaids and came up with a big email that I sent to the manager of my local pool. 2 weeks on and still havent heard anything. Gonna send it to the council now. Mermaiding is massive and monofin swimming is a Sport so they are gonna have to get with the times sooner or later

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    The whole of the UK pretty much doesn't let you swim in a tail. I'm only able to because I do mermaid swimming lessons.

That sucks! I feel really bad for you.

I've sent a massive email to my local pool but 2 weeks later I still havent heard anything. I'm gonna email them again and if I have to I'll send the same email every day till they answer me. One will be sent to the council too. I've said I'll pay for my own lane and even take public liability insurance out on myself.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    I've sent a massive email to my local pool but 2 weeks later I still havent heard anything. I'm gonna email them again and if I have to I'll send the same email every day till they answer me. One will be sent to the council too. I've said I'll pay for my own lane and even take public liability insurance out on myself.

If you do that, they might consider you a pest and say no. Better to wait a week or two, then call them on the phone.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    The pools that are anti-mermaiding are taking the easy way out. What they should do is have a swimming test for anyone who wants to use one, the way we have tests for scuba diving. Back in the days of Sea Hunt (look it up) on TV, lots of people went to sporting goods stores, bought scuba gear and did stupid stuff and sometimes got themselves killed. Now we have certifications.

Just watched a video with Nerdmaid Faith and the Mermaid Seamstress and they mentioned someone who was like "I don't have any certifications, I just taught myself"... they were kind of appalled. They have various certs from lifeguard to freediving and scuba.

I don't think we need anything that extensive. Nor do we need to swim like those competitive high school kids (uh, do you have an outboard motor on your feet???). In scuba pool class, we had to do x number of laps (might have been 8) across the pool, anyway you wanted, any speed, just don't touch bottom... show us you can not drown in deep water. Show us you know how to use your fin and get out of trouble, and stay out of it in the first place.

Here in southcentral PA, I have at least one lake, a school pool, and the Chesapeake Bay beaches that don't care if you use a tail or monofin.

We may be at a place where we need to educate the public, the pools, and create ways to invite new mers in, but safely.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar

THE INJUSTICE!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineTheMermaid View Post
    Hi,
    so, I just got my first finfun tail (Asian Magenta) And I really want to swim in it. we don't have a pool at my house, So I WAS going to swim at the YMCA (Independent health In Buffalo) BUT THEY WONT LET ME!!! I am so disappointed, So does anyone have any idea On Other places I could swim, And How I could convince them to let me swim At the Y. Thanks for Listening(Reading, I guess?) To Me complain about THE INJUSTICE!!!
    Me
    (Madeleine)
    One day just show up there with just the monofin and ask if you can use that to strengthen your core muscles. After a couple weeks, ask the lifeguard if you can use the skin to it. Half the no with some pools is they don’t understand what it actually is unless it’s seen in person. I had another mer No undone at the local ymca here about 2 years ago using this method. I hope you get some progress.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies