Thread: Swimtails- muddy stain issue...anyone else?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Swimtails- muddy stain issue...anyone else?

Okay so this happened to my friend who has an older Swimtail that she bought from another friend ( who got it in 2017ish I think)? So we went to the lake that is a bit muddy and her tail which is a blue mako tail got really stained from all the mud and it took her a lot of scrubbing apparently to get these mud stains out. Now I have gone to the same lake in my Mertailor Moonkelp in the regular fantasea fabric, and a pink Suntail and I have not had this problem. Has anybody else had issues getting muddy stains out of their Swimtail like this? Or could have possibly because it's a scuba knit fabric? If that's the case that makes me terrified to take my Mertailor Whimsy tails to the lake.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Was she rolling in the mud?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    hmmmmmmmmmmm... the only exact experience I have with this is spandex in lakes, and scuba gear in lakes... mud and crap comes out of them fine...

there is also the concept of "keep your fins off the reef" in scuba diving... doing your best to not contact the bottom/rocks/other lifeforms

I was, in fact, rolling around in pebbly sand on a Delaware Bay beach in my Fin Fun Tidal Teal and had zero problems.

If swimming in natural water, you could try various ways of keeping off the mud... tarps at the get in and out spot, rafts or pool noodles to float you out to where you don't touch the mud, mertenders who look out for your stuff... a dive weight and rope can anchor your floaty in a convenient spot, or hand the float to a mertender.

My theory for one of my favorite (sandy, but with some potential gook) beaches is to wade in with the tail, then put it on in deeper water.

Yeah, no fun to mess up a nice tail...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Was she rolling in the mud?
    I do more rolling around in mud and sand than she does. I love it. Like I said my tails are unscathed.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    I'm still trying to sort out the various fabrics. Courtney Mermaid uses "spacer fabric". I have Fin Funs in basic spandex (seem pretty forgiving, like my old diveskins). I feel like to more expensive it is the more fragile it is...

The Moonkelp looks cool...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I haven't seen a Swimtail in person, but I'm guessing the fabric of it is more of an open weave structure than the other tail brands. Open weave means that the fabric looks like it has tiny holes all across it, when you stretch it. With normal spandex, you don't see the little holes nor notice it because the fabric is a tighter weave. These little holes tend to "catch" more stuff and are harder to keep clean.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 06-18-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

My black betta skin from Swimtails (made circa mid-2018 and used in various kinds of water over the past year) has only ever picked up stains from the silt on the sides/rocks at Crescent lake, and a little bit of muddiness from Lake Washington. The stains were on the edges of the fluke where it's mostly white... and they have actually gone away without washing. Then again, I have been swimming in different lakes (gravelly bottom, but lots of algae in the water) and chlorinated pools. Perhaps the chlorine bleached the stains out? Or maybe it was just rinsing them extra well from the inside after swimming in some nasty chlorine....

I've faced this experience but in a muddy little stream on my fabric tail.... I gently sprayed off the excess mud/dirt inside my bathroom, then gently rubbed the whole thing with a good stain removal soap bar meant for washing clothes, rinsed(gently sprayed it again), did this cycle for quite a while yes...I got too tired and finally I soaked it in warm water with surf excel detergent powder(meant for tough stains), (before I put the tail in I made it really foamy with my hands first) the whole night and the next day I threw away all the old water from the previous night, replaced it with new warm foamy detergent water, then started rubbing the fabric gently against each other(regular washing by hands and it was finally gone)....Tip: - Sometimes fpr overtime tough stains it's best to wash it by hands coz sometimes even the better washing machines just can't do justice(speaking from experience)....trust me I freaking hate stains too on anything

Sent from my CPH1613 using Tapatalk

This was the tail and stream I was talking about

Update, We washed the tail (same one posted for sale recently) oxyclean and almost everything came out except two little stains. You really have to look for them in order to see them though.

That's aaabsolutely fantastic!!!... Well done!!!...I'm sooo happy for you