Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: has anyone else broken a Luna??? and fixed it???

Oh that's fantastic that your getting a replacement. MeliPixie you'll have to record the repair if you get it off swordwhale so we can see how you repair it. I'm interested

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Anytime! Can I ask, do you plan on repairing the fin or just throwing it away? Since you are getting a new one for free I wonder if you might let me take it off your hands instead of throwing it away. I'll happily pay the shipping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ahhhhhh....one would never throw away a perfectly good but damaged item (my parents were products of the Great Depression and WWII)... especially one this cool. At the very least one would hang it on the wall ... or pass it on to someone.

...but I actually got some sil-poxy and am going to fix the break, then expand the foot pockets (the Luna is great except WHY ARE ALL THE DAMFINS DESIGNED FOR TINKERBELLE?!?!?)(I have size 10.5 feet with lumpy arthritis) ...brainfarting about getting some silicone kitchen ware (like a potholder or the cutting mats we have at the arts and crafts store) to use to expand the foot pockets a wee bit. It's good sil-poxy practice for future problems, and if I totally goober it, I still have a nice wall hanging. I had thought about passing it on to someone, but I think I'm going to experiment...

The top of the fin is all one piece from ankles down to the fin tips, but the bottom of the foot pockets is a short, thinish piece of silicone that could be cut and expanded without messing with any other part of the fin. Might be enough space for the lumpyfoot to be happier.

It may become (with slight modifications) to go to for inside the Fin Fun tails (it sticks out slightly now).

A friend has self published some books that include mermaids, and we have a mermaid theme at book events. Had a blast last weekend sticking people in mermaid tails for pics (the Luna blew on a perfectly normal size foot with the usual care). We may need an extra fin...

Quote Originally Posted by swordwhale View Post

ahhhhhh....one would never throw away a perfectly good but damaged item (my parents were products of the Great Depression and WWII)... especially one this cool. At the very least one would hang it on the wall ... or pass it on to someone.

...but I actually got some sil-poxy and am going to fix the break, then expand the foot pockets (the Luna is great except WHY ARE ALL THE DAMFINS DESIGNED FOR TINKERBELLE?!?!?)(I have size 10.5 feet with lumpy arthritis) ...brainfarting about getting some silicone kitchen ware (like a potholder or the cutting mats we have at the arts and crafts store) to use to expand the foot pockets a wee bit. It's good sil-poxy practice for future problems, and if I totally goober it, I still have a nice wall hanging. I had thought about passing it on to someone, but I think I'm going to experiment...

The top of the fin is all one piece from ankles down to the fin tips, but the bottom of the foot pockets is a short, thinish piece of silicone that could be cut and expanded without messing with any other part of the fin. Might be enough space for the lumpyfoot to be happier.

It may become (with slight modifications) to go to for inside the Fin Fun tails (it sticks out slightly now).

A friend has self published some books that include mermaids, and we have a mermaid theme at book events. Had a blast last weekend sticking people in mermaid tails for pics (the Luna blew on a perfectly normal size foot with the usual care). We may need an extra fin...
    You'll have to take some pics of the process if your able to fix and alter it if you could, It would be good reference material for the future x

That sounds like it could be a great fix! I'd love to see pics of your progress as you do it. A sil-pat might be a good thing to use for the extension piece?

Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Cool! I will take pics.

I seem to have a camera glued to me most of the time ... I think I burned through two sets of batteries and more than one 8gb SD card on one week trip. One card announced it was full at the top of the Assateague Island Lighthouse... after waiting in line to climb up there. You shoulda' seen me peering at the teeny screen trying to figure out what I could delete.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel

^
    this is the reason why I'm scared to invest in a Luna.
    I'm looking for a super comfortable fin that is nice for doing tank/aquarium stuff, but the idea of having to pay that much (costs an arm and a leg here) only to have it rip after a few uses is highly offputting.

There is just a single review on the fin on amazon, rating it one star saying the quality is bad, and two pics showing the exact same rip as above!
    The customer said she'd only used it around ten times.

I feel like with something like this, and the damage I've seen, what are yas doing in the sence of, are you being rough with getting it on etc. I've got one and I cant see how its able to rip and totally tear off.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    There are plenty more reviews on the US amazon I saw.
    Many said they were super careful, yet that same rip happened again and again.

I can't verify how careful they really were, of course, but overall this fin is rated quite low with many people having had that rip happen, compared to, say, the Mahina or new Linden monofin which have few bad reviews and only a handful of people stating their strap came off/broke.

So I'm torn. But I'm not going to pay 150 bucks for this fin with so many bad reviews.

I am absolutely careful with this fin. But silicone us much more delicate than rubber. What happens is, with use, the corners of the foot pockets form cracks, where the strap meets the pocket and anywhere there is a right angle. Then all it takes is one too many uses, and RIP! That is why I recommend to everyone I can, if you're getting this fin, also invest in a tube of sil-poxy. Reinforce those angles and connections first, before you ever swim with it, and save yourself the heartache (and headache!) of a broken heel strap. It's a good fin, but just like most monofins, it has its flaws. You just need to work around them!

(Also, $150?! When I bought mine I paid $99!)

I got mine based on several online reviews by more serious or professional mermaids and they love the Luna and have not had issues. I have a Mahina and a Linden and if I'd got the Linden first I probably wouldn't have any other fins. Not to say anything bad about the others, the Mahina is mad powerful and looks great, even with only leggings... very realistic, especially in a natural water setting as it surfaces. I have to use either coconut oil or baby powder to get my enormous feet into the largest size, then it's fine.

The Linden has wider foot pockets and is super adjustable. It's also light, fast, maneuverable and fits in the Fin Fun skins. And it floats. I also use a bit of baby powder to slide it on over the neoprene socks.

The only downside is the buckles on the side are a wee tad bulky, but I'll trade minor bulky for good design and adjustability any day. The Fin Fun Atlantis tails have heel fins which hide the lumpy bits.

I'm gonna say the Luna is still fine, but treat it gently and don't tug on it. Use baby powder or lubricants and reinforce if you can.

The Mahina seems relatively indestructible.

If I was going to suggest a first fin, I'd say the Linden. It's also cheaper. And if you have teeny Tinkerbelle feet, you can get the even cheaper kids size.

I will admit the Luna has great movement in videos!

The first part of my video is me in the Chesapeake Bay with the Luna inside a Fin Fun skin... yep, the water is murky.. nope, don't try to sit on bay rocks... you'll stain your tail... https://youtu.be/ePFpFcNgMqo?t=9

Quote Originally Posted by swordwhale View Post

The first part of my video is me in the Chesapeake Bay with the Luna inside a Fin Fun skin...
    Looks fun! Do you have any photos of the fluke, with the Luna in it? I'd love to see how it looks up-close before I invest in a Fin-Fun tailskin

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    From a technical standpoint, the rips would not happen had it been a rounded or curved corner instead of a square one.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    From a technical standpoint, the rips would not happen had it been a rounded or curved corner instead of a square one.
    You're absolutely right! It's a flawed design, sadly. That is why I always recommend reinforcing those angles with sil-poxy as soon as someone gets a new Luna. I have 2 now, one repaired, and the other immediately reinforced upon receiving it!

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    You're absolutely right! It's a flawed design, sadly. That is why I always recommend reinforcing those angles with sil-poxy as soon as someone gets a new Luna. I have 2 now, one repaired, and the other immediately reinforced upon receiving it!

Have you got some pictures of how you reinforced it please I'm scared mines gonna rip now

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Have you got some pictures of how you reinforced it please I'm scared mines gonna rip now

I don't at the moment, sorry. Basically I just added a tiny bit of sil-poxy into those corners in order to round them out and make them stronger.

If other folks had similar problems with the Luna, that doesn't say much about the quality of the material used. It is good that it is still under warranty, and that Finis is will to replace it. I have a Foil, and it's been holding up O.K.--knock on wood LOL. Good luck with your replacement Luna! :-)