Thread: Fluke protection?

Fluke protection?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone have any advice for protecting the tips of your fluke? I have bought a swim tails tail, but I swim at a pool and it has small holes from rubbing up against the pool wall. Is there a way to prevent this?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Coat the tips in silicone. Or train yourself not to lean, stand and drag yourself on the pool wall and bottom.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Suntails has a good vid on doing diy silicone tips. I've used their method and it works great. Very easy to do.

https://youtu.be/ju3YRb7HPPk

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I've never seen coating the tips in silicone done for a Swimtails tail skin. I'd worry a little bit since the skin where the Mahina is usually shrinks a bit when the monofin is removed. Has anyone done it for a Swimtails?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalynn View Post
    I've never seen coating the tips in silicone done for a Swimtails tail skin. I'd worry a little bit since the skin where the Mahina is usually shrinks a bit when the monofin is removed. Has anyone done it for a Swimtails?
    I think you're going to have that shrinking issue with any tail. That's why you put the fin in it while you apply it so it can hold its shape. I'm going to do it with my mertailor at some point

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    Nyola and I have used aquarium silicon to coat our Swimtails tips and lower seam edges. It worked fine for us.
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwilena View Post
    Nyola and I have used aquarium silicon to coat our Swimtails tips and lower seam edges. It worked fine for us.
    What equipment did you use? Can you see the silicone in videos?

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirenea View Post
    What equipment did you use? Can you see the silicone in videos?

I used a 75 gm tube of this product - http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/s...ealants/glass/ - just did the tips and the seams where the Mahina stretches it.

I've not noticed it in videos, but I don't think we've taken a lot of video since we put it on.
    We're scheduled for a swim tonight, so I'll take some video and you can judge for yourself.

We got the idea from one of Mermaid Kat from the Mermaid Academy - she recommended using aquarium silicon just to preserve tips from wear and showed us the ones she'd done.
    She even layered it on the bottom of the fluke where people stand and wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirenea View Post
    Can you see the silicone in videos?

I did an okay job on mine, and it can't really be seen in pics. Not sure on vids. My job was kinda lumpy. I figure if it is smooth it is harder to see. When it is spotted in pix it just looks like a wet or shiny patch. Pretty hard to spot unless you're looking for it. It definitely doesn't stand out as "ewww, what's that"

Add Kwilena on Google+
    As promised, Nyola and I went to the pool this evening and took some video. Our job wasn't the smoothest! Once the tails are dry I'll take some stills as to how they look with the applied silicone.
    They look better in the water!https://photos.app.goo.gl/3T1s7p2xP3tz3gcP6

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I did an okay job on mine, and it can't really be seen in pics. Not sure on vids. My job was kinda lumpy. I figure if it is smooth it is harder to see. When it is spotted in pix it just looks like a wet or shiny patch. Pretty hard to spot unless you're looking for it. It definitely doesn't stand out as "ewww, what's that"

Thank you so much! Your tails looks fabulous

I've put a thick coating silicone on the tips of one of my tails too and it seems to be working fine... It just looks a bit ughh though

Sent from my CPH1613 using Tapatalk