Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HALLE BAILEY CAST AS THE NEW ARIEL

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook

HALLE BAILEY CAST AS THE NEW ARIEL

Halle Bailey is Disney's pick for their live-action version of the Little Mermaid. This is set to be released in 2020. A very interesting choice. Evidently, she can sing quite well. It will be interesting to see if the die-hard fans of the cartoon version can let go of their pre-conceived image of Ariel with the big blue eyes and blazing red hair and adopt a completely new version. Will Smith made the transition as the genie in the live action version of Aladdin so hopefully, Halle can too. She will certainly be beautiful.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Intresting choice, but refreshing. Hope she will shine as a new Ariel in the upcoming movie
    Your imagination is your only limit

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    I’m glad they cast a singer! I still don’t plan on watching the movie but her voice is tempting me... Like a sailor drawn to the siren’s song... Anyway, I still hope they dye her hair red cause that’s like, iconic, but it’s not a huge deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Read Halle *Berry* (like Catwoman or Jinx from 007) first and thought, isn't she too old to convincingly play a teenager? Stupid me...
    Her voice is brilliant, and what I have seen from her (admittedly, it was just one music clip linked at BBC, but it totally convinced me) her expression and everything is so much Arielle, I think she will be fantastic!

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

I really need to rant about this because it's been eating at me lately. I have been getting so much backlash for looking forward to this that it's pissing me off.

Real talk; I'm a huge fan of the Broadway musical Hamilton and I was chomping at the bit for this film since I heard Lin-Manuel Miranda was going to be working on this remake. Give me my Hamilton mermaids, I need it in my life. Now all the racist backlash about this casting is just getting me down, and a lot of their arguments against it are insanely stupid. "The world would lose it's mind if they cast Tiana as white!" they scream. The world is already losing it's mind anyway? I don't get the point. LMM gave us a black Aaron Burr, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington and nobody really complained. And they were real people!

Let Ariel be black! White Ariel isn't going anywhere! We can both have our mermaid princesses, ffs.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    My favorite part is when they try to say that it's "unrealistic" because the story takes place in Denmark. If we're really gonna play the realism game, "realistic" mermaids would look nothing like Ariel. They'd look more like hairless versions of the mermaids from Siren or something. I'd totally be down for Disney to do that, ha ha. Make Ariel look horrifying! I think it's stupid to try to completely copy the original anyway, like, we can just watch the original. I'm still worried that they aren't going to make any meaningful differences to the story and the script. Beauty and the Beast remake sucked cause it was so close to the original, and the changes they made weren't meaningful and seemed to exist solely as a response to nitpicky criticisms of the original.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Mulan remake since I think there's more potential for them to make changes. I wonder how they could change The Little Mermaid while still keeping it good? Like, maybe they could play up the harm that humans do to the merpeople, and Triton's hate for the humans, and he's ready to declare war on them but Ariel's love for the prince stops it and brings peace and harmony between the groups? I dunno.

In the original story by Hans Christian Andersen, there is nowhere written the colour of her (the little mermaid)hair, skin, tail or top. What was written is her real name: Pearl

Junior Member Pod of Cali Kidiu's Avatar
    I’m really looking forward to the live action, Halle has the perfect face for sweet, innocent Ariel.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    The only reference in appearance is The Little Mermaid's eye color in the original Hans Christian Andersen book and even that has been re-printed from "blue as the deepest cornflower" to "bluest sea" or "sea-green." I'd rather see her with those changes than trying to stick some ugly bright red wig on her that looks horrible against her skin tone just to make it match some Disney cartoon. Disney already changed so much of the original storyline to begin with! At least they found a lovely young actress that can really SING!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    People need to stop worrying about what the actor looks like, and focus on how well she can do the job.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Regardless of Andersen's original setting, Disney made a lot of changes when they animated it. Their animated version is clearly set in the Caribbean with its mangroves, Caribbean flamingos, and animal sidekick with a cool Jamaican accent.

Not sure why Disney went with a pale skinned, red-haired mermaid in that setting. Of course she should have darker skin! It sounds like they are making a visually appropriate choice for the live action version if they are keeping the setting from the animation.

HALLE BAILEY CAST AS THE NEW ARIEL

You know what I think would be the coolest? The Broadway show of The Little Mermaid made Ariel’s family interracial (though they did this thing where they had half of Ariel’s sisters black, and the other half white). King Triton was played by this awesome black actor while Queen Athena (while she didn’t make an appearance) was presumably the white parent.

So here’s what I propose for Disney, if they ever see this: do that again for this movie, and have Queen Athena show up in a flashback or at least some kind of painting somewhere...portrayed by Jodi Benson, the original Ariel. Please, please, please, pretty please!
    Ma ki ga walphish irs ar ciel~

Ok so I’m gonna be the devils advocate in this thread I don’t want to argue just want to state my opinion!

The little mermaid animated movie is a big part of how I survived a mentally and emotionally abusive and neglected child hood! It help me deal with many tramas!

As such I’ve been looking forward to seeing her on screen with a real actress ever since I was a child and have alway pictured her looking similar to the cartoon witch is what is supposed to happen when you are recreating the cartoon! Every little mermaid movie that has come out since I’ve been disappointed because they didn’t have the songs they didn’t have the setting! And there have been rumors for years about the little mermaid being made real with the same music and everything from the cartoon! So the excitement has been building for years and then to be slapped in the face by we are going to change the main character of the film witch also has down stream effects of changeing all her family and most likely the prince as well! And the iconic music will be changed! So it won’t be what we’ve been hopeing to see for years! It will be something completely different! And now since they claim it as the live action remake! We will have to wait years more to get them to remake it closer to the cartoon if they even ever do! I think it’s awesome that Disney is trying new stuff just don’t do it with a classic that has had expectations and hopes and dreams for years! Make a new empowering story something that can stand on its own with out needing a crutch from an existing story!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Ok so I’m gonna be the devils advocate in this thread I don’t want to argue just want to state my opinion!

The little mermaid animated movie is a big part of how I survived a mentally and emotionally abusive and neglected child hood! It help me deal with many tramas!

As such I’ve been looking forward to seeing her on screen with a real actress ever since I was a child and have alway pictured her looking similar to the cartoon witch is what is supposed to happen when you are recreating the cartoon! Every little mermaid movie that has come out since I’ve been disappointed because they didn’t have the songs they didn’t have the setting! And there have been rumors for years about the little mermaid being made real with the same music and everything from the cartoon! So the excitement has been building for years and then to be slapped in the face by we are going to change the main character of the film witch also has down stream effects of changeing all her family and most likely the prince as well! And the iconic music will be changed! So it won’t be what we’ve been hopeing to see for years! It will be something completely different! And now since they claim it as the live action remake! We will have to wait years more to get them to remake it closer to the cartoon if they even ever do! I think it’s awesome that Disney is trying new stuff just don’t do it with a classic that has had expectations and hopes and dreams for years! Make a new empowering story something that can stand on its own with out needing a crutch from an existing story!

They can change the main character and still keep the same story songs. I could be wrong but didn’t they do that with Cinderella about a decade ago? The Lion King remake was very much the same although the talent behind them are different.

When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    They can change the main character and still keep the same story songs. I could be wrong but didn’t they do that with Cinderella about a decade ago? The Lion King remake was very much the same although the talent behind them are different.

Don’t know if they remade Cinderella like that I only watched the live action they did recently! Haven’t seen lion king yet but am very much looking forward to it since they kept the voice actor for mufasa!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    The first Cinderella remake was in 1997 produced by Disney. There are two live remakes and your probably remembering the 2015 movie and not the 1997 movie. The one in 1997 actress is Brandy playing Cinderella. The story was pretty much the same. Brandy was way more famous than when that movie happen. I'm confident Disney will keep true to the cartoon version of the Little Mermaid and bring in a new generation of people to love the Little Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Don’t know if they remade Cinderella like that I only watched the live action they did recently! Haven’t seen lion king yet but am very much looking forward to it since they kept the voice actor for mufasa!

When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Add Keiris on Facebook
    The version of Cinderella featuring Brandy was also a remake of an earlier version starring Leslie Ann Warren in the title role. It was charming and would be aired every year on tv. The Brandy remake had the same music with a few additions and featured a completely multicultural cast. Asian Prince, white wicked stepmother, one black stepsister, one white, a white king and Whoopie Goldberg as the Queen. Whitney Houston played the Fairy Godmother. Disney started switching things up quite a few years ago which gave a whole new dimension to the way people could interpret a cartoon fairytale.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The first Cinderella remake was in 1997 produced by Disney. There are two live remakes and your probably remembering the 2015 movie and not the 1997 movie. The one in 1997 actress is Brandy playing Cinderella. The story was pretty much the same. Brandy was way more famous than when that movie happen. I'm confident Disney will keep true to the cartoon version of the Little Mermaid and bring in a new generation of people to love the Little Mermaid.
    The additional songs were also from the musical version by Rogers and Hammerstein, which I always loved it basically makes the film MORE musical and upbeat than the older animated version.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica