Thread: some advice please?

some advice please?

Ok y’all so I am in a odd position and I figured talking to y’all might help!

So my boyfriend wants to take a trip to either Saint John or saint thomas In November or December! He told me if I wanted to go I would need to get in shape and lose weight first! My boyfriend says he spends all his time snorkeling when he goes!

Now I need to lose about 30 pounds! And get in healthy range for my body type! So that stresses me out! But the thing that is kinda worrying me is when ever I swim it is usually in a pool! So there is no current or anything to fight against! I have never experienced a current or rip tide! Since I have never swam in the ocean more than chest high! This all makes me nervous!

Do y’all have any advice for ocean swimming / snorkeling? In general as well as mermaiding there since it is such a beautiful location? If I can lose weight in time I will send my measurements to Mernation for my tail witch will prob take a few weeks to make! And I’d like to take it with me to get some awesome
    Pics and vids!

I’m so torn and confused on all of this!

I’ve also been diagnosed with von willibrands disease witch is a blood disorder causeing bruising and it takes me a long time to stop bleeding! ( found this out on Monday when I spent a good 12 hours bleeding when I cut my finger ) so I am also wondering how this will affect my swimming in a heavier silicone tail ( right now I have mertailor and finfolk fabric tails ) I just have a lot bouncing around my mind right now! What are y’alls thoughts? Sugestions and advice?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Ok y’all so I am in a odd position and I figured talking to y’all might help!

So my boyfriend wants to take a trip to either Saint John or saint thomas In November or December! He told me if I wanted to go I would need to get in shape and lose weight first! My boyfriend says he spends all his time snorkeling when he goes!

Now I need to lose about 30 pounds! And get in healthy range for my body type! So that stresses me out! But the thing that is kinda worrying me is when ever I swim it is usually in a pool! So there is no current or anything to fight against! I have never experienced a current or rip tide! Since I have never swam in the ocean more than chest high! This all makes me nervous!

Do y’all have any advice for ocean swimming / snorkeling? In general as well as mermaiding there since it is such a beautiful location? If I can lose weight in time I will send my measurements to Mernation for my tail witch will prob take a few weeks to make! And I’d like to take it with me to get some awesome
    Pics and vids!

I’m so torn and confused on all of this!

I’ve also been diagnosed with von willibrands disease witch is a blood disorder causeing bruising and it takes me a long time to stop bleeding! ( found this out on Monday when I spent a good 12 hours bleeding when I cut my finger ) so I am also wondering how this will affect my swimming in a heavier silicone tail ( right now I have mertailor and finfolk fabric tails ) I just have a lot bouncing around my mind right now! What are y’alls thoughts? Sugestions and advice?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    First of all, what is he to tell you to lose weight? Asking you to maybe get into shape, i.e. capable of endured swimming, ok, that I can *maybe* understand if there is a lot of snorkelling planned, as I can't guess your current training level, but telling you to *lose weight* is... Argh!

As for going into the ocean with a tail and having not much experience, I would not recommend it, especially not in a silicone tail if you are not comfortable without one. I would suggest getting used to swimming and snorkelling in the ocean with just fins and a mask first and switch to the tail later, using a fabric one first as you can get out of it way more quickly should the need arise. But ask the others there.

And finally for your medical condition, this is something what I would maybe check with a doc first, as in the water and at the beach there is always the risk of cutting and bruising yourself, be it on a shell or on a glass shard or other rubbish or even being tossed onto the beach by waves.

So, hopefully I haven't made your thoughts even more confused. Keeping my fins crossed that it will be a great trip for you!

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

I've never experienced a current or riptide but I have been snorkeling in the ocean before. It was an incredible experience! You really shouldn't miss out. I got to see sharks and a manta ray and some fish came right up to me. However, if you are concerned maybe you should try finding a guide. Someone who is local to the area and is experienced in swimming in the waters there. They may be able to tell you where it is safe to go and not to go and will be there to help if things go wrong. As for tail swimming, I always try to stay in shallow, populated areas when I go tail swimming. And that's just with my fabric tail. Wherever you do end up swimming, don't go alone and make sure there is someone on the shore to help out if you need it. As for your health condition, perhaps you should discuss it with your doctor and see what he/she recommends you do in terms of safety concerning your condition. Be sure to post plenty of pictures on here! I'd love to see the new tail!
    "There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really ridiculously good-looking."
    -Derek Zoolander