Thread: Fake?

Member Undisclosed Pod

Thumbs up Fake?

Hi
    So, I have an issue. Whenever I talk to my sister ( she is younger by about 1-2 years) About mermaids, she keeps on saying that they are "fake" And that she likes "real" Ones better. She keeps on trying to act older than me, saying "I like dark, scary real ones, but you like cute, fake ones!" And she keeps on saying it like that isn't mean, and is stating it like a complement. And yes, I know That technically, they are "fake", But cant she stop trying to ruin mermaiding for me? And cant she find a nicer term, Like pretend? Or, just say nothing of that sort? This has been bugging me for awhile, and i would like some help.

Madeleine

PS. Yes, I have told her that saying its "fake" is mean and is hurting my feelings, but she won't stop!
    Last edited by MadeleineTheMermaid; 07-21-2019 at 09:02 PM.

So as a mom to a Siren (who very proudly declares sirens are more “real” since they’re a predator type) and an older sister who dealt with the same thing from my 2 year younger sister... I think she is purposefully saying these things to you because she knows it bugs you. There are so many things she thinks you have over her, it’s inevitable since you’re older and sibling rivalry is something all us siblings have had to work through. Instead of trying to change how your sister identifies you, change how you feel about her egging you on. If ignoring doesn’t work, embrace it. When she says it’s “fake” just respond with something like “fake = fantasy, which means fake let’s me be whoever I want to be!” Another suggestion would be when she feels like starting an argument over it, completely ignore what she said and invite her to do something mermaid related with you. Who knows, maybe you can find a common bond over it! Best of luck to you, sweetie 🥰

Mermaid Belukha

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineTheMermaid View Post
    She keeps on trying to act older than me, saying "I like dark, scary real ones, but you like cute, fake ones!" And she keeps on saying it like that isn't mean, and is stating it like a complement.
    Let's explain it this way: There are different kinds of mermaids. Your sister describes a morgan or a siren while you describe something like a Nereid.

But cant she stop trying to ruin mermaiding for me?
    You can only ruin it for yourself. Plan B is ignoring her.

And cant she find a nicer term, Like pretend? Or, just say nothing of that sort?
    It does not make a difference if you switch terms if the intention is still the same (for example you still know that she wants to insult you) because the new term will just inherit the issues of the old one.

Or, just say nothing of that sort?
    Probably the best option.

This has been bugging me for awhile, and i really need some help!
    Have you already talked to your parents privately? Or to some trustable teacher, friend etc.?
    This sounds like you are a victim of mobbing.

PS. Yes, I have told her that saying its "fake" is mean and is hurting my feelings, but she won't stop!
    then let's switch to nereid

Member Undisclosed Pod
    OK, thanks for the replies. I will try to use this advice, but, we'll see.