Thread: ear pain when ppl jump into water?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel

ear pain when ppl jump into water?

so here's the situation:

the only pools here deeper than a puddle are those with a diving pit in the "deep end".
    Diving of course not meaning real underwater diving, but people jumping off the platforms

I already noticed that kids jumping from the edge or the lowest springboard make a huge splash and loud sound underwater.
    Last time I was there, they opened the towers, and a bunch of kids kept continuously leaping from several metres high, and the sound was so loud underwater it hurt my ears even though I tried to keep a distance, but the pit isn't really large unfortunately.

So I had to stand to the side for a really long time during which I couldn't swim because the impact was just too much from the higher towers.
    Anyone else experienced this, or am I just being "overly sensitive" as the nice pool assistant told me with rolling eyes?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Hmm, that does sound like a concern, considering sound does travel faster and farther in water than people realize - especially with cavitation impacts like someone hitting the water from a height. It's one of the reasons the way divers get each other's attention is by slapping an open palm against a fist to make a 'clack' sound, or tapping something on their tank like a knife or rock.

People can be super sensitive to sound, myself being one of those, particularly with high frequencies like the squeal of an overstimulated child, so it's not at all unsurprising that it would translate to the clap of someone hitting the water like that.

A possible suggestion that might take a while to adjust to is use some ear plugs while swimming to block out the ruckus caused by over-exuberant jumpers? Also that pool assistant probably should have had a little more customer-service training, as the pool should be able to be used by anyone visiting.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocoree View Post

A possible suggestion that might take a while to adjust to is use some ear plugs while swimming to block out the ruckus caused by over-exuberant jumpers?
    I always wear ear plugs, but they have to be vented with the depth I'm going to, and while they muffle sound above water a bit, they do nothing for underwater.
    Although I guess they keep at least some of the compression waves out.

Screaming children above water are not so much a problem as long as the plugs are full of water.
    Those who did an underwater squealing competition next to me, though, were unpleasant ^^

You had not much contact with loud noise in your childhood like me. So everything is naturally louder for you.

For example if I listen to music, I was asked if it is loud enough for me.