Thread: Alternatives to gap wraps

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Alternatives to gap wraps

I have finally purchased a silicone tail, and I want to get started on something in anticipation of the classic gapping at the waist. I don't like the look of silicone gap wraps, particularly mernation's and the way they have those weird vertical lines. I am thinking of experimenting with being frugal and using stuff I have laying around like a ton of spandex. I'm wondering if a 'belt' of braided spandex attached to a plastic buckle will do or if I need to go another route. Also thought about a sash or sarong style but idk if that would be strong enough to hold the waist to my body. I've also seen weight belts with weighted sea critters which I really like. However I don't know if having a weighted belt is really for me or not. For my first one I would prefer to be as minimalistic as possible, and not have a bunch of junk hanging off my waist. Anyone have other ideas?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Diving belt and spruce that up?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Fishnet belts, decorated with sea stuff, seem popular.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Fishnet belts, decorated with sea stuff, seem popular.
    I hate the look of fishnet belts...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Diving belt and spruce that up?
    Good idea but I'm wondering if the stainless steel belt buckle I see on some of them will hold up

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Good idea but I'm wondering if the stainless steel belt buckle I see on some of them will hold up
    Believe me, they will. The stainless steel buckles are some of the toughest and sturdiest pieces of the whole dive equipment.

Maybe you need to camouflage them a little, or go for special freediving belts. They sometimes have buckles with a center pin, much like ordinary belt buckles, which, in combination with a rubber belt, still act as a quick release. They could serve you better, as they are not as obvious technical and might better integrate into the overall look of the tail. They too are made from stainles steel, so are very durable. Just google "freedive belt", there are lots of pictures.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

I've seen several mermaids use belly dancing scarves around their waist so those seem to be popular.

I would also cruise sites like Amazon and look for really cheap fabric scarves you could use. You could even check thrift stores and get an old belt or scarf just to try it out or to up-cycle it.

I made myself a latex belt and when I went to mermaid in it, it wouldn't stay put around my waist so whatever you wear around your waist needs to be tightened down really well and possibly have several areas where it ties or hooks to keep it from shifting.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus