Thread: Ariel's tail (Cosplay)

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar

Ariel's tail (Cosplay)

Hi guys !

My new project is to make Ariel's tail for my futur cosplay photoshoot. I've never swum with a monofin, I just want to take pictures on the beach (or half beach half sea) because I don't want to die
    Cosplay community is not a big help for realistic tail making (a lot of people just do fabric tail with printed scales or sequins), that's why I'm here with professionals .
    I have some questions, because I don't want to start something too difficult (and it's sure I don't want fabric tail). I don't care if a method is very long because I plan to do it this winter so I'll have time.

- I've seen 2 methods : Liquid latex on neoprene (not Alex PLUS because it's not available in France, just regular liquid latex) or aquarium silicone. Which one is the best method ?
    - Latex tail are fragile or not ? For exemple if I seat on a rock, will it scratch or torn the tail ?
    - Is it better to buy a real monofin or do a custom out of PVC ? Or maybe even skip the monofin ?
    - Can I make the tail in 2 parts ? Or it will be weird at the junction between tail and flukes ?

I hope you can give me some advise and tips, I hope my post will be a minimum clear as english is not my native language (Sorry )

- I've seen 2 methods : Liquid latex on neoprene (not Alex PLUS because it's not available in France, just regular liquid latex) or aquarium silicone. Which one is the best method ?
    * none of those as they both are very bad for nature, best it to buy dragonskin silicone (https://formx.fr/)

- Latex tail are fragile or not ? For exemple if I seat on a rock, will it scratch or torn the tail ?
    * yes it will torn

- Is it better to buy a real monofin or do a custom out of PVC ? Or maybe even skip the monofin ?
    * buy a real monofin (https://www.scubastore.com/plongee/p...opalmes/1081/s)

- Can I make the tail in 2 parts ? Or it will be weird at the junction between tail and flukes ?
    * best is to make it in 1 part (see my pics on making my silicone tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...als-(pic-heavy) or https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...l-and-extra-s))

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Dragonskin was my first choice, and then a saw the price It's too expensive just for a land photoshoot. Like I said, I don't want to go into water in the tail because I don't want to die xD
    Liquid Latex is used for FX so normally it's not toxic, as they use it for masks or wounds.

As I don't want to swim in it I was thinking about making a small fake monofin in Lexan to have a super floppy fluke (I really like this style, I don't like when the fluke looks like you have a shovel at the end of the tail).

Your heart shaped scales are soooooo gorgeous I want the same scales now xD How do you attach the tail and the fluke together ? I can't keep it seperate to be more comfortable, to remove quickly the fluke while shooting (so my boyfriend won't have to carry me to move me xD)

Nowadays they use dragonskin for masks and wounds too as latex don't stand up to the use of it, it tears very easily and over time it gets brittle and crumbles. I know as I made latex eartips and wounds for LARP and cosplay. They first get very hard and stiff and then they crumble. That's the reason most tails, masks and wounds are made in silicone as it keeps usable much longer than latex.

Even if you don't swim in it, but will be in the water, it will affect the wildlife.

As for the 2 parts, it will show in most of the pics as there will be gaps.
    I made a lycra base for my tail and "glued" all the hearts and the fluke to it with some more dragonskin. If you see all the pics, you will see how I made both tails.
    My partner also can't carry me, but I put my tail on at the place of the photoshoot and then my partner remove all the stuff so that it's not in the picture.