Thread: Not having permission???

Not having permission???

I went to post my first photo on a post and when I tried it popped up saying I don't have permission to post one why is this n how do I get permission?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Its been turned off for everyone as a site cost saving measure. You have to put the photo somewhere else and include a link to it in your post.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

How do I do that? I'm using my phone cuz I don't have a computer.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
    How do I do that? I'm using my phone cuz I don't have a computer.
    First, you need an online hosting site that provides direct links to the photo, like Imgur or something like that. Google Drive is said to work, too, but I have not tried it. Dropbox does NOT work!
    You upload your image to the hosting site, give public read permissions if necessary and copy the link to the image. Usually there is some kind of button on the site, but if not, just open the picture in your browser and copy the link from the browser address line.
    Then you paste that link in your forum post, and you should be done.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Well I was gonna just go ahead and make a new insta just for my mermaid stuff n link it that way n see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
    Well I was gonna just go ahead and make a new insta just for my mermaid stuff n link it that way n see if it works
    That his called hot linking. If you use the link from sites that don't give you permissions (like the image hosting sites do) you are stealing that site's bandwidth. They have protocols in place to stop hotlinking. So while your photo may work for a few hous or days, even a few weeks or months, the site you hotlinked from will eventually "break" your link, thus making the photo not load on here anymore. A lot of photos have disappeared from the forum for this reason. Even back when we had server hosting space (which we ran out of I think it was last year) for this site, people would still hotlink from Facebook. So now a lot of reviews, tutorials, and other threads have broken images in them. That's why we are recommending image hosting sites specifically.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

No special algorithms needed. Your browser just tells them where you are coming from.

https://developer.mozilla.org/de/doc...eaders/Referer (German, switching de to en will likely give the English version)

The reason is that many offers are ad financed so if you embed the image, the ads are not shown - so no revenue for the site. You can still make a link to the page itself.

If you have some money left, I recommend hosting the images by yourself on a VPS or web hosting because then you can only break it by yourself. This would require a computer BTW.