Thread: Black Mahina softer and lighter?

Junior Member Euro Pod

Visit Mermaid Selphy's Youtube Channel

Black Mahina softer and lighter?

Hello Merfolk!
    I have a question about the black Mahina monofin. A friend of mine bought one and she said the black Mahina is softer and lighter than the orange/green ones. I tested it and yes! It is. But how? Do you know something about it? How does this difference come?

Greetings to y'all!

Wow, I can't believe no one replied to this thread! I was actually about to post the same thing when I came across your topic.
    I started off with the orange mahina merfin in medium and I love the fin, but I don't like how it hurts my feet. I finally decided to just buy the black one in a size large to see if that would solve the foot issue.

When I un-boxed the black one, I instantly thought it felt different. The main difference is it isn't as stiff feeling as the orange one I have. I laid the black one over the orange one and they are the same size. The black one is more floppy and smoother to the touch. The foot pocket straps feel softer and the foot pockets in general feel softer.

I do think the black one feels a little lighter as well.

When I took the black one to the pool, I wore neoprene socks with it and it didn't hurt my feet at all like the medium. In fact, there was zero hurt.

It has me thinking that maybe the black version should be recommended to those who are having trouble with the mahina hurting their feet since it is softer. Of course I can't say for sure because in my case I think the main problem was I just needed to go up a size.

Mahina is probably using a softer type of rubber to make the black monofins. I wonder if they are using a softer rubber for any newer produced monofins in the other colors as well, or if this is just a material difference in the black fins?

Anyways, I'm just excited to finally have a Mahina that doesn't hurt my feet.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    this is really good to know.
    I like the Mahina's propulsion, but not only does it feel like a medieval torture device on my feet (I have the turquoise one), it's also quite heavy and stiff.
    Even underwater, it feels like a huge stone tied to my ankles, which makes fancier movements very difficult.

Maybe I'll try the black one and see if it is better.

Same here I had the blue and orange one in medium and even though I could swim in them they were just uncomfortable. I got the black in large to see if going a size up would solve any of the discomfort and found the black to be a lot softer and floppy. Have not had the chance to swim in it yet, I just hope it's not too loose.

For me it is too loose if I don't wear the neoprene socks with it in the water. So I went from not being able to fit neoprene sock into the medium to not being able to go without socks in the large because without them it won't fit. I would rather have that though instead of blisters.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    I wonder if it has to do with the recycled rubbers than make up the black ones vs the classic ones. That is definitely interesting though.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

To those who have both: which one swims better, *regardless of foot comfort*? Do you prefer the stiffer blue / orange; does it give more propulsion? Or do you prefer the floppier black one?

Sent from my SM-N960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    The Mahina are made from recycled rubber and black rubber tends to have a different density than any other. Someone else alerted me to this after having actually contacted Mahina, I guess each colour is slightly different.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Maybe the black ones are made from recycled tyres, and the colored ones from premade rubber products?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Now here's my take: I think that the different rubbers also change blistering. It might be just me and my indestructible unicorn feet but I find that my softer black one actually rubs MORE than my blue one!

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmaid Faith View Post
    Now here's my take: I think that the different rubbers also change blistering. It might be just me and my indestructible unicorn feet but I find that my softer black one actually rubs MORE than my blue one!

Which would you say swims nicer, which has more propulsion?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLiara View Post
    Which would you say swims nicer, which has more propulsion?

I'd say that I'd probably prefer the blue mahina with the added propulsion

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Dang! I was hoping to hear that the black one was better on the feet for sure. I miss my old blue Mahina so bad, but I couldn't find anything to fix the blister problem

Are you wearing neoprene socks with the fin and where do you get your blisters?

My orange mahina gave me blisters underneath my ankle bone and on my heel.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

I have the mahina and took it for a test swim. I found that if you wear socks with it it doesn't hurt at all. The material is 100% softer than both the blue and orange one, and it feels kinder to the feet. You can swim way longer with it without cramping! Definitely was worth getting

Sent from my SM-G950U using MerNetwork mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u702M6kKyRE

Found this video that really shows the difference in how stiff the two colors are!