Thread: DoZo Fiberglass Monofin in a tail-skin?

DoZo Fiberglass Monofin in a tail-skin?

Hi! I've been lurking on the site for sometime, but I dont know that I've ever posted. So here we go!

I've been swimming with monofins for around 10 years, I started with a rapid and now have a Nemo-wave medium stiffness fin. I LOVE it, but of course its HUGE and not going to fit in any commercial tail skin. I've never swam with a tail skin, and I really want to!

I'm leaning towards the DoZo ( https://www.freediverworld.com/produ...e-colour=black ) seeing as I'm accustomed to a decent amount of propulsion.

I'm pretty sure I could use it with a FinFolk tail skin, but I've heard the flukes on those tend to fill with water and cause a lot of drag.

Has anyone paired a Mertailor Whimsy 3 tail-skin with a stiff blade? I LOVE the look and flop of the Whimsy 3 silicone monofin, but I'm afraid I'll hate the lack of propulsion. If I were to attempt this I'm sure I'd have to make a liner for the fluke to go around the fin. Has anyone attempted it?

Thanks!

I think you're on the right track -- the DoZo looks a lot like the Finis Shooter, which I know has been used in various tailmakers' silicone flukes for some time. You could always ask your tailmaker (Mertailor, Finfolk, or otherwise) if they'd be willing to build a tail around the DoZo monofin...?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    No knowledge of the Whimsy, but I have a Spellbound. It also has a floppy monfin. I expected it to have poor propulsion, but is is actually quite good. I think the reason is the tips bend up and act like winglets on an aircraft wing, increasing performance. The only monofin I have with better propulsion is the Lunocet.

Be careful about thinking you can change the monofin. It may be glued in.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by nightshades View Post
    I think you're on the right track -- the DoZo looks a lot like the Finis Shooter, which I know has been used in various tailmakers' silicone flukes for some time. You could always ask your tailmaker (Mertailor, Finfolk, or otherwise) if they'd be willing to build a tail around the DoZo monofin...?
    I'd love to, but I know I couldn't afford a custom one right now. I'm leaning towards a tail-skin/fabric thing for now. The DoZo is only an inch difference from the shooter, and dimension wise I'm pretty certain it would fit in the Finfolk tails at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    No knowledge of the Whimsy, but I have a Spellbound. It also has a floppy monfin. I expected it to have poor propulsion, but is is actually quite good. I think the reason is the tips bend up and act like winglets on an aircraft wing, increasing performance. The only monofin I have with better propulsion is the Lunocet.

Be careful about thinking you can change the monofin. It may be glued in.
    Thanks for the info! That's helpful. Have you used a fiberglass monofin? I'm hoping someone can compare that to the silicone. The Lunocet looks way cool also!

Luckilly I know with the fabric tails from both Mertailor and Finfolk that the monofin wont be glued in. (thank goodness for youtube reviews!) So I know I could put different fins in them...its just a question of how well it would function after, heh.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I made an angled fiberglass insert for a FinFun skin. It had graduated thickness and everything. it worked reasonably well, but I made it too soft. Then the tip got bent and broke. I tried adding a layer of glass, made a mess, and tossed the entire thing.
    Ive also made monofins from polycarbonate and polypropylene of various sizes and thicknesses. So far, I rank propulsion performance, worst to best:

Mahina (makes alot of drag)
    FinFun (too floppy, too small)
    Various stiffened versions of the FinFun I have made (stiffer helps, but still too small)
    Spellbound
    Lunocet
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I made an angled fiberglass insert for a FinFun skin. It had graduated thickness and everything. it worked reasonably well, but I made it too soft. Then the tip got bent and broke. I tried adding a layer of glass, made a mess, and tossed the entire thing.
    Ive also made monofins from polycarbonate and polypropylene of various sizes and thicknesses. So far, I rank propulsion performance, worst to best:

Mahina (makes alot of drag)
    FinFun (too floppy, too small)
    Various stiffened versions of the FinFun I have made (stiffer helps, but still too small)
    Spellbound
    Lunocet
    Thank you! That gives me a lot of hope for the Fantasea 3