Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Making a H2O just add water mermaid tail

  1. #1
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel

    Making a H2O just add water mermaid tail

    Heyyyy everyone!

    Here I wanted to share the process of making my H2O just add water mermaid tail


    The tail plan is to make a mold for the fluke and fill it with pigmented silicone.

    And for the body I wanted to use neoprene, and paint it. And then glue scales to it with silicone.


    So I started off with a mold.


    But it broke...


    So I bought stronger plaster and tried it again.


    This is how it looks like

    This time it did work


    Then I filled it with colored silicone



    And thatís how it looks like now!

    The next step is to make the other side and start on the body

  2. #2
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Love it! I follow you on IG and I'm loving the result!

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  3. #3
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Love it! I follow you on IG and I'm loving the result!

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  4. #4
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel


    May the best cut out win

    So this is pretty strong plastic. Itís actually meant for desk chairs. (To keep the floor from scratching)




    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Dundas Valley, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,541
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Hey, I noticed the cuts are not equal on both sides.

    On a large piece of paper, trace one side of the fluke/monofin that you think looks the best, then mark with dotted line where the middle is on the plastic sheet. Then using the paper, line it up against the dotted line and trace around for the other side of the fluke/monofin.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  6. #6
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Hey, I noticed the cuts are not equal on both sides.

    On a large piece of paper, trace one side of the fluke/monofin that you think looks the best, then mark with dotted line where the middle is on the plastic sheet. Then using the paper, line it up against the dotted line and trace around for the other side of the fluke/monofin.
    Hi! I know the cuts arenít equal, because I wasnít done cutting them yet. First I took over the fin I made. That I cut, and later I will trace them with paper and cut them again. (Itís just to make sure it actually fits)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    The paper tracing is supposed to be done before u even start sculpting the fluke/fin/scale.

    Here's how I do it.
    If in doing a fluke I either buy a bigg piece of paper or two and fold it mid way, I pick the side I'm best at drawing and with the paper folded in half draw one half of the fluke the entire thing the tattered edge the big spines. Then I trace it to the other side. This ensures both fluke halves are perfectly symmetrical and there be no need for ugly edges that look thick.
    Hope this helps.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  8. #8
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel

    Making a H2O just add water mermaid tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    The paper tracing is supposed to be done before u even start sculpting the fluke/fin/scale.

    Here's how I do it.
    If in doing a fluke I either buy a bigg piece of paper or two and fold it mid way, I pick the side I'm best at drawing and with the paper folded in half draw one half of the fluke the entire thing the tattered edge the big spines. Then I trace it to the other side. This ensures both fluke halves are perfectly symmetrical and there be no need for ugly edges that look thick.
    Hope this helps.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    I DID trace it before I sculpted it. I did fold it and I did it on the plastic as well.


    But thanks for the help you two

    (If you donít believe me hereís proof lol)

    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wMsmD14

  9. #9
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Working on painting the neoprene

    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wMsmD14

  10. #10
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of the sea View Post
    I DID trace it before I sculpted it. I did fold it and I did it on the plastic as well.


    But thanks for the help you two

    (If you donít believe me hereís proof lol)

    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wMsmD14
    I believe you lol. Just saying cause I read the last few messages and assumed you were having a symetry issue.

    Keep it up

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  11. #11
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    I believe you lol. Just saying cause I read the last few messages and assumed you were having a symetry issue.

    Keep it up

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Nope not anymore

    Thank you!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    R you using polycarbonate sheets for the monofin?

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  13. #13
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    R you using polycarbonate sheets for the monofin?

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    No Iím using Polyurethane plastic, why? Is it better to use polycarbonate?
    Would love a opinion from a more experienced tail maker

  14. #14
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    I honestly have no experience with polyurethane, but from my research and practice I can vouch polycarbonate (lexan) is the best for custom shape home made monofin blades it will not break. Many tail makers use this for their custom fins.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  15. #15
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    I honestly have no experience with polyurethane, but from my research and practice I can vouch polycarbonate (lexan) is the best for custom shape home made monofin blades it will not break. Many tail makers use this for their custom fins.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Okay thank you! Iíll keep it in mind, and see if I can get it near me (as long as it isnít crazy expensive

  16. #16
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel


    Working on the paint, but I ran out so itís not completely done yet. Guess I have to wait until my new paint comes in.

    Also the scales and foam are on its way here. Until then thereís nothing left to do then wait...


    ^_^ happy swimming

  17. #17
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of the sea View Post
    Okay thank you! Iíll keep it in mind, and see if I can get it near me (as long as it isnít crazy expensive
    Homedepo or custom cut online. Custom cut but not cut to fluke shape only square dimensions...

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  18. #18
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of the sea View Post


    Working on the paint, but I ran out so itís not completely done yet. Guess I have to wait until my new paint comes in.

    Also the scales and foam are on its way here. Until then thereís nothing left to do then wait...


    ^_^ happy swimming
    Are you using sequins? And what did u paint that base with? Acrylic does not bond with silicone.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  19. #19
    Member Princess of the sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Swimming in the ocean
    Posts
    34

    Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Are you using sequins? And what did u paint that base with? Acrylic does not bond with silicone.

    Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
    Yes Iím using clear sequins! The base is neoprene with fabric paint

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Dundas Valley, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,541
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Oh you did?

    Well don't mind me then. I'm quite OCD about uneven things!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •