Thread: What are your favorite swim socks?

What are your favorite swim socks?

I'm looking to get some neoprene socks for swimming with my Mahina. I put it on the other day and I could immediately tell that without some, it will give me blisters around my ankles.

I was thinking of just running over to a Dick's and picking up whatever pair(s) they carry.

Good idea? Bad idea? What socks do you use and what do you love about them?

Looks like this thread that started out about sculpting a silicone fluke onto a Mahina evolved into a thread about swim socks.

https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...a-Merfin/page2

Looks like the ones to get are neoprene or spandex, that go up over the ankle strap. Hmm ok!

Get neoprene ones. You should be able to get them at a sporting goods store or even a local dive shop. Keep in mind though, that if your Mahina already fits your feet snuggly, adding neoprene socks might make it hurt to wear. That is what happened to me. My mahina fits fine, but when I put on the neoprene socks I have trouble fitting my feet into the monofin and then when I do, I get bad foot cramps. Part of the problem might have to do with the neoprene thickness. I think my neoprene socks are 3mm. However, I wouldn't get them too thin because then they might not protect your feet as well.

I definitely recommend getting the socks though. As I just posted in the other topic, I still have scars from where the mahina rubbed my feet.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Keep in mind though, that if your Mahina already fits your feet snuggly, adding neoprene socks might make it hurt to wear.
    I mean.... define "fit"

I've worn it twice now on dry land and I'm pretty sure if I tried to swim in it without socks it'd chew up my feet. The foot pockets *should* be a full size-and-a-half large for me, but it hits in all the usual Mahina places and really digs in (while being loose in other places).

I guess I'll run by a dive shop and see what I can find as far as thicker socks go. If worse comes to worst I can always try cutting it, like so many mers before me.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidEmber View Post
    I'm looking to get some neoprene socks for swimming with my Mahina. I put it on the other day and I could immediately tell that without some, it will give me blisters around my ankles.

I was thinking of just running over to a Dick's and picking up whatever pair(s) they carry.

Good idea? Bad idea? What socks do you use and what do you love about them?
    I shaved down the mahina where it was rubbing- the scars from one hour of using it were there for a year- but I have found that any socks work. My favorite are some unisex thick white cotton socks but whatever is in my metaphorical gym bag (the trunk of my car) seems to protect my feet from rubbing in molded fins.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidEmber View Post
    I mean.... define "fit"

I've worn it twice now on dry land and I'm pretty sure if I tried to swim in it without socks it'd chew up my feet. The foot pockets *should* be a full size-and-a-half large for me, but it hits in all the usual Mahina places and really digs in (while being loose in other places).

I guess I'll run by a dive shop and see what I can find as far as thicker socks go. If worse comes to worst I can always try cutting it, like so many mers before me.

Thank you!
    The Mahina fits tighter on land. When you wear it in the water it fits a bit looser or at least the way it fits you in the water just feels different then on land. Mine has been cut and that helped some but I still have issues with it unfortunately. It's a shame because it really is a great monofin!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I think I'm going to start with neoprene socks and see how those feel, and then maybe cut my Mahina if it comes to that.

Thank you for your replies!

Good luck I hope the socks do the trick!
    Happy Mermaiding!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants