Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimtails reopening

Swimtails reopening

https://aquariusmermaid.com/blogs/ne...ls-to-aquarius

It looks like the wife who wasn't the main problem (correct me if I'm wrong) is reopening under a different name. I'm excited, I love my betta tail and honestly Swimtails made my favorite tails on the market.

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Yeah I saw it! She makes beautiful designs!

^_^ happy swimming

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    batch of 100 or less a few times a year? certainly sounds exclusive. let's see how this goes, how well her plans are in place
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I was originally very excited to see this as I would have loved a betta tail. And these are stunning.
    I can understand creating a unique product, and making it exclusive.
    But that price... Oof. That stings the merwallet.
    (Can't put a price on quality and art, I know. I guess I was expecting closer to the Swimtails prices...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I mean the wife was still the problem. The husband and wife owned the company and made the decisions together and still stole/misused 4 designs that are documented here, didn't refund people and didn't send tails. The husband's additional issue was that he harassed people online. Companies often do this to avoid or cope with bankruptcy. I think it's sad people get so desperate for tails they're willing to keep taking risks or invest in bad companies. It's the same company, with a different name.

AniaR, wow, a bad company rife with drama. Seems like it’s getting harder to find professionalism these days.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calisai View Post
    AniaR, wow, a bad company rife with drama. Seems like it’s getting harder to find professionalism these days.
    So much truth

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    I was originally very excited to see this as I would have loved a betta tail. And these are stunning.
    I can understand creating a unique product, and making it exclusive.
    But that price... Oof. That stings the merwallet.
    (Can't put a price on quality and art, I know. I guess I was expecting closer to the Swimtails prices...)

Honestly looking at the prices they seem about the same what I paid for my betta.

Store Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I mean the wife was still the problem. The husband and wife owned the company and made the decisions together and still stole/misused 4 designs that are documented here, didn't refund people and didn't send tails. The husband's additional issue was that he harassed people online. Companies often do this to avoid or cope with bankruptcy. I think it's sad people get so desperate for tails they're willing to keep taking risks or invest in bad companies. It's the same company, with a different name.
    I didn't realize it was both, though I did know about the design/stock photo lapse. Honestly I'm still excited because their tails were the only fabric tails on the market I really consistently liked. There's two by mertailor but I don't want to buy another monofin, I like the mahina too much.

Store Blog

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    It doesn't seem like she's off to a stellar beginning if she's commandeering another tailmaker's company name.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    It doesn't seem like she's off to a stellar beginning if she's commandeering another tailmaker's company name.
    is she, though?
    Aquarius is a very generic term (and not even spelled the same way as the other tailmaker).
    I bet she chose it without knowing there was someone who had "trademarked" a variant of the word.

If someone trademarked a word like "star" and then insisted that no one else in the world could ever use the word again because it's now theirs, well. That would be a bit silly.

I wish her the best of luck, her designs are beautiful.

My concern with this whole thing is, who's word do I take? How is any of what either party say trustworthy?
    The history of Swimtails just makes me super suspect of anyone claiming they are the "original designer", without indefinite proof.
    I dislike my immediate skepticism of both parties. But I would be veeeeeery reticent to part with my money after all the drama, finger pointing and poor business practices.
    (Disclaimer: I don't wish to ruffle feathers ((or fins)) nor make anyone feel belittled. If either of the people really ARE the OG designer then kudos. You have a wicked talent.)

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    Honestly looking at the prices they seem about the same what I paid for my betta.

(sorry, double post)
    The price listed when I looked a few nights ago are definitely more expensive.
    (I'm going on AU here)
    Old website: around 350 for betta tail.
    New website: around 420/440.

So maybe it is just an exchange rate thing.

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    is she, though?
    Aquarius is a very generic term (and not even spelled the same way as the other tailmaker).
    I bet she chose it without knowing there was someone who had "trademarked" a variant of the word.

If someone trademarked a word like "star" and then insisted that no one else in the world could ever use the word again because it's now theirs, well. That would be a bit silly.

I wish her the best of luck, her designs are beautiful.
    I think the same, it's very generic and different spelling. What about the Finis Aquarius Fin ? ^^

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    The PayPal option to pay is new and welcome.
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

I've just read that Trinity who owns Aquariuz tails is not happy with the name being the same as her's and has started legal proceedings. Also read that she got in touch with the former swimtails owner and shes not willing to change her buisness name. Here we go again!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    (sorry, double post)
    The price listed when I looked a few nights ago are definitely more expensive.
    (I'm going on AU here)
    Old website: around 350 for betta tail.
    New website: around 420/440.

So maybe it is just an exchange rate thing.

That is a touch of a jump, I know when I got my betta the grand total was $425 USD, but that was with the fin and everything so maybe that's why I wasn't super surprised? Idk. Lol

Also to add to the name thing, I didn't realize there was another maker with that name. It looks like it's spelled differently though, and Aquarius is very general.

Store Blog

I feel like the husband may have been the problem with the business side but using stock photos without appropriate licensing was DEFINITELY design side (squarely her own fault) and now with the dispute about the name, it seems she doesn't respects other people's rights... or the law. I mean kudos for fixing the problem of over committing and (supposedly) ousting the jerk who was messing up other things, but if you want to be respected and taken seriously and, oh, I don't know, remain in business... you don't put that all at risk by not doing your due diligence in making sure you aren't choosing a name that's too similar to something already used and you DEFINITELY don't react by being rude to the person whose trademark you are infringing or even potentially infringing on.
    I'm not sure whether I think this is intentionally ignoring trademarks and copyright/licensing agreements but really the first time WHOOPS it's a mistake, when it's brought to your attention you 1- fix the problem and 2- apologize. You don't double down on your mistake. If she's not INTENTIONALLY ignoring these laws, she has no excuse for not hiring her own lawyer or business consultant that will make sure she's not making these similar mistakes all the time, because if it's not intentional she should be actively trying to avoid similar mistakes.

I also love my Mahina and would love another tail for it, but at this point I've already got a new monofin and fabric tail and if I happen to eventually get another fabric tail for my Mahina, bonus. I was excited that MAYBE she was doing things right this time but nope, already more drama.

Not the greatest of starts for the new buisness. Not great at all
    Quote Originally Posted by chickcasa View Post
    I feel like the husband may have been the problem with the business side but using stock photos without appropriate licensing was DEFINITELY design side (squarely her own fault) and now with the dispute about the name, it seems she doesn't respects other people's rights... or the law. I mean kudos for fixing the problem of over committing and (supposedly) ousting the jerk who was messing up other things, but if you want to be respected and taken seriously and, oh, I don't know, remain in business... you don't put that all at risk by not doing your due diligence in making sure you aren't choosing a name that's too similar to something already used and you DEFINITELY don't react by being rude to the person whose trademark you are infringing or even potentially infringing on.
    I'm not sure whether I think this is intentionally ignoring trademarks and copyright/licensing agreements but really the first time WHOOPS it's a mistake, when it's brought to your attention you 1- fix the problem and 2- apologize. You don't double down on your mistake. If she's not INTENTIONALLY ignoring these laws, she has no excuse for not hiring her own lawyer or business consultant that will make sure she's not making these similar mistakes all the time, because if it's not intentional she should be actively trying to avoid similar mistakes.

I also love my Mahina and would love another tail for it, but at this point I've already got a new monofin and fabric tail and if I happen to eventually get another fabric tail for my Mahina, bonus. I was excited that MAYBE she was doing things right this time but nope, already more drama.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Did she oust him though? her website is registered under his name.

As far as the name trademark, the owner of Aquariuz has a case because if someone misspells it (or auto correct changes it) and a potential client buys from Aquarius and not Aquariuz it not only has caused the first party to lose money but if the client doesn't realize it and leaves a bad review for the wrong company then there is potential for further loss of revenue.

This is exactly why the World Wildlife Fund sued (and won) the World Wrestling Federation to make them change their initials, loss of revenue
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song