Thread: Hero 7 and new editing software

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar

Hero 7 and new editing software

So, just ordered my Hero 7 with dive housing and underwater colour correction filters. Yes, I once said you can fix it in post, but for one it is easier if it is at least partially fixed beforehand, and second when you get such a huge colour imbalance as underwater, chances are that the blue channel goes into overdrive, basically making attemts to correct it very hard and depriving you of adjustment margins.

Went for the 7, as the Hero 8 just came out and the "old" model, which is way good enough for me, experienced quite a price drop.

Another new thing I found is a new editing software. It is way easier to use than Blender (which is for making digital effects and 3D animations, not primarily for cutting a film), smaller and has a faster output. It is called Olive (https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/), is open source and available for Windows, Linux and Mac. Officially it is still in alpha, but is really, really usable already. Unfortunately there is no manual, but with some video tutorials on Youtube, one gets a hang of it really quick.

The toolbox seems very limited at first, but is big enough to fulfill all cutting needs I came across up until now. And honestly, who truly needs a star swipe? And if you really, really do, there are ways to implement it with the tools at hand and maybe a painting program like Inkscape or Gimp. As said, Youtube is really helpful there.

One point I *do* miss are the measuring tools, like histogram and the color scope. They would really help in tuning in the contrast, colour and such. But maybe one can request it as a feature. As said, it is still an alpha. A very stable and usable one, but alpha nevertheless.

Will go for a dive trip tomorrow and hopefully bring back some footage. If I find the time (it also is NaNoWriMo), I'll put up a video soon, so you can see how the camera and tool chain worked out.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

I can recommend kdenlive as a video editor. It is open source and very powerful.

https://kdenlive.org/en/

Hope it has the features you are missing.

Congrats! I'm looking at a Hero 7 White to replace my dodgy old knock-off GoPro clone.

For editing video, I really like DaVinci Resolve. It's got a lot of features (like histogram, scopes, color grading, audio mixing, motion graphics, etc.) and is available as freeware.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I don't find the filters help until you're really deep TBH. We love our 7 and our 8. Never planned on having both but my husband likes having a back up. We use vegas pro for our video editing but I find the built-in correction features a bit overkill and hard to tweak

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I don't find the filters help until you're really deep TBH. We love our 7 and our 8. Never planned on having both but my husband likes having a back up. We use vegas pro for our video editing but I find the built-in correction features a bit overkill and hard to tweak
    You are right, you won't need them in a pool or shallow, clear water, but for scuba footage they work really well (and this mer likes to ditch the tail and strap on tanks at times, especially when the water gets below 10°C ).

I did a side-by-side comparison in a lake at about five to seven meters (about fifteen to twenty or so feet, if I am not completely mistaken), with visibility also around the same, due to small algaes, so the water had a quite greenish tint. And there the magenta filter made a *huge* difference, way more than I myself expected. But that is not the ordinary mermaiding area, I must admit. And shallower than five to maybe ten feet it seems in fact better to ditch the filter.

The low light capability of the Seven relly surprised me. It handled even dark areas of the lake, which is made for divers, with caves, statues and all, really well.

What are your thoughts about the Eight compared to the Seven? From the specs it appeared to be not that epic of a difference to justify the additional one hundred euros for me, plus the model of the previous year tends to have some bugs fixed already, so I went for the Seven. Hope I haven't made a mistake there.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    My husband actually did a side by side of the 7 and 8 compared with a 4 as well. You can see the 8 is slightly clearer, slightly wider shot, and more stabilized. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    My husband actually did a side by side of the 7 and 8 compared with a 4 as well. You can see the 8 is slightly clearer, slightly wider shot, and more stabilized. That's about it.
    Okay, so exactly as I guessed. Thanks for comparing!

Your tips inspire me, tell me are you make black and white photo?

In the dynamic landscape of commerce, efficiency is key to success. Discover the pinnacle of transactional efficiency with the top POS systems of 2024. These cutting-edge solutions empower businesses to streamline operations, enhance customer interactions, and drive growth. Whether you're running a restaurant, retail store, or coffee shop, these POS systems offer unparalleled convenience and functionality. With advanced hardware and software integration, managing transactions has never been easier. Stay ahead of the competition by adopting these innovative solutions designed to optimize your business processes. From inventory management to payment processing, these
    POS system are revolutionizing the way businesses operate in the digital age. Experience seamless transactions and elevate your business to new heights with the top POS systems of 2024.