Thread: Anyone have a Lunocet Monofin they'd consider selling?

Anyone have a Lunocet Monofin they'd consider selling?

Aloha fellow Mers!

I've been venturing farther out to sea, and I'm looking for a stronger tail that's comfortable to wear for longer sea voyages. A local freediver had a lunocet monofin, and I /really/ liked it comfort-wise, fits my techno-mer aesthetic perfectly :-). I contacted the lunocet website, but they said they have a many month backlog of orders.

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with Lunocet monofins as part of tails?

Does anyone have a Lunocet Pro monofin (they're not using) they'd be up to sell to complete my sea voyaging tail?

🧜🏾*♂️

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I know of 2 mers who use the Lunocet in a tail.
    Not sure how they get around the cycling shoes part, though (surely those would show badly in a tail?).

because of the shoe problem (no way to regularly use shoes in water, they'd get mouldy in no time) I haven't gotten a Lunocet myself, even though I really want one.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    A few notes:
    Shoes: cycling shoes are designed to get wet. They are made from materials that are resistant to mold. Wash them out, dry them well, you're fine. They have the great advantage that they come in all sizes, so you can get ones that fit you perfectly, allowing you to wear your tail all day without pain.
    But they have many other issues for tail use.
    They have a up-turned toe that makes a lump in the tail.
    You need to tighten them with either laces or Velcro straps. This makes them hard to put on and take off, as you have to get your hands down inside the tail. With a cloth tail its not an issue as you can fold it down far enough. but anything thicker will be problematic. This also makes it very hard to pull your feet out of you want to kick off the tail in an emergency.
    On my Lunocet, I replaced the cycling shoes with a 1/4" thick polycabonate plate to which I bolt swim fin pockets. They are less lumpy, easier to put on and get off, and easier to clean. They also come in a much wider range of sizes than monofins, making getting comfy ones easier.

For the tail skin, I have done two types. The first covered the entire fin, including the flukes. It was hard to use as you had to assemble the fin inside the tail, bolting on the two flukes with your hands crammed inside the spandex. I don't think that would work with a silicone skin.

The second is a sling tail, one that does not cover the flukes, like the Mertailor fantasea sling tails. I started with two orca tail skins from Fin Fun, did some cutting and sewing, and have a skin that works well. The orca pattern looks good with the black Lunocet flukes, although moving forward I want to examine more colorful options. I needed two as I an a big guy, and the Lunocet is an extended monofin. It required some trimming of the Lunocet flukes to make it work right. This is also the design I am going to pursue for a silicone tail.

That said, any silicone tail makers who read this like to make me a sling tail for my Lunocet? I have money.....
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by merman108 View Post
    ... I contacted the lunocet website, but they said they have a many month backlog of orders...
    Once there was a man who wanted a tree to shade a room of his house. He bought a sapling and told his gardener to get it planted this week. The gardener had much to do already and asked why he had to do it so quickly, after all it will take 5 years for the tree to grow enough for shade. Alarmed, the home owner replied:
    "Five years?? Then you better get it planted today!"
    Merman108, if they are that far behind, then place your order RIGHT NOW!

Let the storm rage on!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    thanks for all the info, Storm.

replacing the shoes with regular swimfin pockets is no doubt the best solution.
    I just wish they already came that way. If they did, I would have gotten a Lunocet long ago.

How do you find the propulsion in the tailskin covering the fluke?
    Is it much slower than the one with the sling tail?
    Seeing as the Luno is supposed to work differently than regular monofins.

Having the skin cover the fluke did not seem to make much difference. I have not used the full tailskin in a couple of years, but I do know that when I tried the sling skin, I was delighted with how much propulsion I got. But even with the skin covering the flukes, it felt like it had more propulsion than any other tail Ive tried.
    If you are wondering as to what is the best way to have flukes that are not just black rubber, I have a few ideas.
    Find paint that sticks to that rubber.
    The flukes have an aluminum spar inside them. Make a new set of spars and cast silicone flukes about them. That is, make new flukes. We know how to color silicone. Also, this gives an opportunity to use the right airfoil cross section on the fluke (Lunocet did not), or make flukes with other shapes. Note: The Lunocet fluke rubber is Shore 60A.

Let the storm rage on!

Oh man, this is great info. I placed an order, but it turns out the manufacturer is on an unknown-length hiatus and based on the current backlog, they're cancelling orders for the time being. Bummer. So the quest to find somebody who isn't using their Lunocets begins in earnest!

Could you say more about the airfoil cross section? Are you using a NACA airfoil shape or....?

Ultimate swim fins says its an NACA0009, but its not. The shape is pulled in just in front and just behind the point of maximum thickness.
    If it were me, I would use the S8025, designed by Michael Selig.

Let the storm rage on!