Thread: Merfolk in Winter

Merfolk in Winter

With winter upon us here in the northern hemisphere I am finding myself increasingly desperate to swim. I’m not all that confident with cold water swims and more than that my Mertender is not very keen on accompanying me in my fools errand.
    I know Courtney Mermaid has a great video out recently about this topic but I’m interested to know, particularly from the lovely mers of the far north, how do you keep yourself satisfied? Either in the water, or out.

Do you know if there are any indoor pools in your area open to the public? This weekend I'll probably go to the nearby college's indoor pool for some mermaiding. I haven't gotten a chance to swim for a while and it's really making me stir crazy.

The last time I tried mermaiding outside during the winter I quickly got a headache from the cold water so it really isn't an enjoyable experience for me haha.

A lot of merfolk take this time to work on projects such as making or fixing tops, tails, jewelry, etc. Finfolk for example, appears to be working this winter with Mermaid Kariel on designs so that is how they are staying busy this winter. It's a good time for working/planning for next swim season.

You can research places to swim at when the weather gets warmer or make plans for a mini trip to go someplace to swim.

Finally, you can get to know other merfolk and see if there is a nearby pod you can join. They might even have winter activities they do that you could jump in on.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    i have two pools near me (Simi Valley, CA ) that are kept at 80f all year. One is the community pool, and the other is at 24 hour fitness. In addition, I keep my hot tub warm. I let to pool get cold, but will warm it up if people want to come over and swim.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Do you know if there are any indoor pools in your area open to the public? This weekend I'll probably go to the nearby college's indoor pool for some mermaiding. I haven't gotten a chance to swim for a while and it's really making me stir crazy.

The last time I tried mermaiding outside during the winter I quickly got a headache from the cold water so it really isn't an enjoyable experience for me haha.

A lot of merfolk take this time to work on projects such as making or fixing tops, tails, jewelry, etc. Finfolk for example, appears to be working this winter with Mermaid Kariel on designs so that is how they are staying busy this winter. It's a good time for working/planning for next swim season.

You can research places to swim at when the weather gets warmer or make plans for a mini trip to go someplace to swim.

Finally, you can get to know other merfolk and see if there is a nearby pod you can join. They might even have winter activities they do that you could jump in on.
    Those are some awesome ideas!

I definitely need to do some research on indoor pools. Maybe call some and ask if they have a policy against tail swimming (tho at this point just getting in the water would be nice)

I’m also planning a camping trip to some local waterfalls this spring. Focusing on that would definitely help.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Since tails take a long time to dry during winter, I only use my monofin when I go swimming in winter. And a thick 3mm wetsuit to stay warm. The pool I go to, is indoor pool and the water is warm but I feel so cold when I leave the water!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Since tails take a long time to dry during winter, I only use my monofin when I go swimming in winter. And a thick 3mm wetsuit to stay warm. The pool I go to, is indoor pool and the water is warm but I feel so cold when I leave the water!
    I hadn’t even thought of the drying issue!