Thread: Resurfacing, physically changed with a soaring spirit

Red face Resurfacing, physically changed with a soaring spirit

Hello all,

I was active on this forum some years ago under the name Merman Grim (or Daemon). I was getting to know people and even met up and swam with a local mer. The state of the world's ocean (polluted) really got to me and I felt like it was dragging down my interest in mermaiding. I sold my monofin and other things and eventually moved from Portland, OR to Boise, ID. Since then I have finally accepted that I'm transgender and have started my transition to a woman. I saw a documentary on Amazon about mermaiding and that, along with other things my reignited my interest! I'm looking forward to exploring all this (and making friends) as my true, happy self who is in love with life. At this point I am not focusing on a tail or swimming quite yet (but definitely will soon) but have started converting my bedroom into an underwater scene with a wave projector, looping underwater ambient audio and led floor lighting (picture attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dee Tal; 12-24-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    welcome back!

great idea with your room.
    I did something similar with mine (all green and blue lighting etc), and I found it makes everything better to have the look and feel of underwater at home.

Thank you both! Here's a video of the project. The lighting and sound didn't pick up well so it's much better looking in person. I plan on switching the projector to white color and use various transparent film gels to get a lighter blue-green color. I also have plans for vintage furniture painted a light color and using air-dry clay to make tons of tiny barnacles to attach to them.

Last edited by Dee Tal; 12-25-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

Add Echidna on Facebook
    underwatery fuurniture is also a nice touch (jellyfish lamps, emitting a bioluminescent-like light for example).

I noticed the wave projectors all have a quite dark and dim blue light, which makes sense because it's advertized as a sort of night lamp.
    If you need a brighter light during the day, I suggest getting diaphanous drapes in a nice bluegreen colour.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Welcome back beautiful merfish!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    underwatery fuurniture is also a nice touch (jellyfish lamps, emitting a bioluminescent-like light for example).

I noticed the wave projectors all have a quite dark and dim blue light, which makes sense because it's advertized as a sort of night lamp.
    If you need a brighter light during the day, I suggest getting diaphanous drapes in a nice bluegreen colour.
    I plan to make a jellyfish out of some plastic bags and possibly illuminate it with some of those tiny "fairy lights" and suspend it with the thinnest fishing line I can find. I think it will turn out well based on the DIY instructions I came across. For the drapes, I have two walls that need them and I will likely go with black blackout drapes and work on covering the walls with black (not paint) somehow. I want the room to look as realistically underwater as possible so I will have a clear divide of style between vintage, human furniture (that will look like it was abandoned before there was water) and everything else will be strictly aquatic.

I'm going for a very dark theme where I want the walls to appear to just be distant unlit water. I'm also thinking about making a "block poster" out of an underwater scene image and printing it out on like 40 sheets of paper that can all be lined up together for one of the walls. I will definitely explore bio-luminescent looking everything as that is perfect for what I'm going for. The overhead light fixture is a smart bulb hooked up to an Echo Dot so I can fully illuminate the room for practical purposes with a spoken command.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Welcome back beautiful merfish!
    Thank you! <3
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Tal View Post
    I plan to make a jellyfish out of some plastic bags and possibly illuminate it with some of those tiny "fairy lights" and suspend it with the thinnest fishing line I can find. I think it will turn out well based on the DIY instructions I came across. For the drapes, I have two walls that need them and I will likely go with black blackout drapes and work on covering the walls with black (not paint) somehow. I want the room to look as realistically underwater as possible so I will have a clear divide of style between vintage, human furniture (that will look like it was abandoned before there was water) and everything else will be strictly aquatic.

I'm going for a very dark theme where I want the walls to appear to just be distant unlit water. I'm also thinking about making a "block poster" out of an underwater scene image and printing it out on like 40 sheets of paper that can all be lined up together for one of the walls. I will definitely explore bio-luminescent looking everything as that is perfect for what I'm going for. The overhead light fixture is a smart bulb hooked up to an Echo Dot so I can fully illuminate the room for practical purposes with a spoken command.

sounds very cool!
    I have experimented with underwater motif wallhangings, as well as paravents.
    I found that those do not look realistic enough though unless they are illuminated somehow.

I love your idea with the walls being like distant, dark water.
    For a living room maybe a bit too dark in the long run, but should be perfect for a bedroom.

I agree that this wouldn't work well in a living room. It creates this perfect "cave" of peace and solace in the bedroom though. I end up getting to sleep so fast now with the lights and sound.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome back
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Welcome back!

Congrats on the start of your transition!

I ADORE what you did with the wave projector!

Sent from my SM-N960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Thank you both.

Junior Member Pod of Cali
    Hi Dee! I wrote my introductory post today and, except for the whole returning part, the rest of your post sounded eerily similar to my own. I’m pleased to meet you! -Kailey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! It's lovely to meet you as well!

Welcome back. As a fellow mer who transitioned from male to female, it was one of the best things I did for myself. I am now slot happier and finally feel like myself in my own skin. I could do without crying over the stupidest things, and monthly cramps, Nimitz it comes with the territory.

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork

Thank you. This journey has been amazing and of course at times a little painful. For me, crying has been bittersweet. It feels good to let go and own my tears at some things but other times (like when frustrated) I could live without them. If I ever have to physically defend myself I will probably be this amorphous blur of tears and fists.