Thread: Recovering from a knee injury, getting fit again!

Recovering from a knee injury, getting fit again!

Hey all! Happy new year I busted my knee figure skating last year and I’m just about getting the all clear from the doctors ( 3 1/2 months later ). Does anybody have any experience with getting back into the water/a fin after an injury? Obviously I’ll be building my fitness back before going anywhere near my fin/tail!

Specifically I had a patellar dislocation (0/10 would not recommend ), any good vibes appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I'd say check with your doctor first before going swimming. Tell them exactly what kind of swimming it is, fin swimming, don't just say swimming. Describe the movements etc. Then he/she will have a better idea of whats involved and and how it will affect your knees.

If everything yes, just slow swimming in monofin in shallow water. That way, if you get tired or something, you can stand up or float. you still have the security of the floor beneath your feet. instead of treading water with sore knees.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Glad to know you are recovering! I had a bad fall from surfing board 2 yrs ago but luckily it is not that serious. Just listen to your doctor and therapist so you can get back to skating and extra careful next time!

Normally knee injury will take 1-3 months to heal or worst it will take 1 year. Better to follow your doctor and therapist advise for faster recovery.

Well folks, it’s been almost a year since the injury and with COVID taking me out of PT with basically a “you’re functional and know your limits”.... moving to a new apartment building with a pool has me back in the water. I took my fin up there for the first time this weekend with no issues and SO MUCH JOY!

Super late at replying to this haha but I broke my ankle last November and finally got to swim around April or so, swimming is actually helping my ankle heal and get stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean.Mermaidd View Post
    Super late at replying to this haha but I broke my ankle last November and finally got to swim around April or so, swimming is actually helping my ankle heal and get stronger!
    Ooh yay! Good for you! I was figure skating before the injury, so my therapy was conservative until I could get back to conditioning for the ice... well 2020 put the end to that! Glad swimming is helping your healing too ^_^