Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

  1. #1

    Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

    Looking around the forums, I've seen some interesting posts about the mercommunity; How it's viewed by the general public, the challenges professional and even hobbyist mers experience, and the challenges us mermen face in a predominantly female community.

    So a question I have, is do y'all think that the merfolk community will grow in the future? And more specifically, how will it grow?

    I feel there is already a large amount of people online who are interested in merfolk - my time on Deviant Art makes that much clear. But I wonder if tail swimming will become more popular as time goes on.

    I can imagine that things like the upcoming Little Mermaid live action remake from Disney might cause a spike in merfolk interest, but in my mind, if tail swimming increases, it will probably be extremely slow and steady. Unless you have some famous people picking it up, the community doesn't get a crazy amount of exposure.

    Along with the growth of the hobby in general, I wonder what it would take for the merman portion of the community to grow, and not just grow, but for public perception of it to change.

    I've heard some suggest that mermen should be depicted more often as the darker type of merfolk, like a warrior of the ocean, a possible solution. I should note however, that I've always wanted to be a more normal looking merman.


    I don't know for sure what the future holds with this. Anything could happen of course, and I'm sure that the community will probably grow over time, but as for the merman side of things, I'm feeling that it will, at least for a very long time, be perceived as something bizarre for straight men to do. Even the mermaids are viewed as weird to the general public.

    So, what do y'all think. I'm interested to hear your input.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,586
    Yup, I have been in it for 11 years, it just changes platforms.
    At first yahoo groups, myspace and deviantART were the hot spots with a forum called seatails

    Then it was mer yuku and FB slowly started

    Then mernetwork was the big place

    Now it's more FB and instagram.

    Tail making is expected to become a billion dollar industry this year (I shared an article about that before) and is becoming more affordable and accessible.

    I've watched only 1 or 2 mermaids in the world get to do aquariums, and now it's become standard.

    We now have multiple cons when we could barely pull off one in the past.

    Meetups are standard, everyone can meet someone now, when before we were spread out across the world with few and far in between

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Yup, I have been in it for 11 years, it just changes platforms.
    At first yahoo groups, myspace and deviantART were the hot spots with a forum called seatails

    Then it was mer yuku and FB slowly started

    Then mernetwork was the big place

    Now it's more FB and instagram.

    Tail making is expected to become a billion dollar industry this year (I shared an article about that before) and is becoming more affordable and accessible.

    I've watched only 1 or 2 mermaids in the world get to do aquariums, and now it's become standard.

    We now have multiple cons when we could barely pull off one in the past.

    Meetups are standard, everyone can meet someone now, when before we were spread out across the world with few and far in between
    That's awesome to hear! I didn't know so much was going on!

    If I knew there were more mermen joining, I'd be even happier.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,514

    Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by CurrentTheMerboy View Post
    That's awesome to hear! I didn't know so much was going on!

    If I knew there were more mermen joining, I'd be even happier.
    Mermens are everywhere and we donít exactly announce when we show up. Gender isnít a big deal at meetup as itís automatically assume there going to be people from all walks of life.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

    Survivor of cyberbullies

  5. #5
    The first merfolk I met and swam with was a merman that I found out went to my college and started mermaiding the same time as me.

    However, he told me not to use his real name. He was worried that being a merman would affect the way he was viewed by people from a professional standpoint.

    So there might be tons more mermen out there but they are just far more secretive. I remember reading one merman's accounts on here of him always swimming at times when people wouldn't be around and he made it a point not to be spotted because where he lives such a 'feminine' thing as mermaiding would be frowned upon for a man to do.

    I don't think mermaiding is nearly as feminine as some outsiders make it out to be. The general public just doesn't understand the physical demands of mermaiding and how hard core it is with the foot blisters, breath holding, core workout, water up the nose, etc.

    We are certainly seeing more and more mermen and also mermen are getting more popular on social media. Mermaiding is open to anyone and honestly the more mermen the public sees the more you will have guys inspired to jump into the hobby.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus



  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    The first merfolk I met and swam with was a merman that I found out went to my college and started mermaiding the same time as me.

    However, he told me not to use his real name. He was worried that being a merman would affect the way he was viewed by people from a professional standpoint.

    So there might be tons more mermen out there but they are just far more secretive. I remember reading one merman's accounts on here of him always swimming at times when people wouldn't be around and he made it a point not to be spotted because where he lives such a 'feminine' thing as mermaiding would be frowned upon for a man to do.

    I don't think mermaiding is nearly as feminine as some outsiders make it out to be. The general public just doesn't understand the physical demands of mermaiding and how hard core it is with the foot blisters, breath holding, core workout, water up the nose, etc.

    We are certainly seeing more and more mermen and also mermen are getting more popular on social media. Mermaiding is open to anyone and honestly the more mermen the public sees the more you will have guys inspired to jump into the hobby.
    I think that some of it might also have to do with how tail-swimming is presented to people. If someone sees a guy swimming with only a monofin, they might think, hm, that's kind of interesting.

    If a guy swam with a tail, but it's only a simple cover with no texture, it would be viewed as weird, but then when a guy swims with a tail, and it full on is made to look like a merfolk tail, that's when people are really weirded out. The line where it crosses (at least for most of the general public) from watersport to cosplay, because all they see it that someone is swimming with a tail.

    Thinking about it, tail-swimming is one of the rare communities where, I suppose for lack of a better term, internet culture can serve a practice purpose of exercise.

    Even so, people see the tail, and you're no longer doing something interesting or fun, you're a weird person they don't want to be around.

  7. #7
    There will be so many children (and hopefully adults too) be inspired by the upcoming live action remake of the little mermaid. I'm just mildly concerned about bogus alieexpress/wish tails and monofins about to cause accidents due to parents not wanting to shelf out money for a safe and proper tail/monofin, because they simply don't know any better. Thankfully my local pool, after friend and I made the staff aware of the dangers these, because they didn't have a clue. They didn't know these cheap monofins can shatter, no quick releases etc. I'm so happy they allow mermaiding, but I'm even more happy they ask my friend (a long time professional mermaid) for some legit advice about safety. They got absolutely no plans to ban it, but instead educate parents better on the danger of shitty quality gear.

    But yeah, kinda holding my heart for accidents or worse to happen due to bad tails/monofins once the movie releases. Not to mention people overestimating their kid's swimming ability etc, just throwing your kids with a monofin into the ocean. You know, the typical unintended ignorance on the topic.

    On the other hand, I can't wait to see more boys and girls (and hopefully some grownups too) hyped to learn to swim as a mermaid. The more the merrier!

  8. #8
    Yeah, I really hope the movie helps the community. Thankfully there are some budge tail companies like fin fun, that from what I understand give a decent tail-swimming experience without being too expensive. From what I understand, I think fin fun tails also have a quick release on their monofins, and they're fairly safe.

    Plus, fin fun is located fairly close to me, in Idaho. If I were to ever get a tail, it would be through fin fun.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •