Thread: Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod

Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

[redacted]
    Last edited by CoriTheMergirl; 08-05-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yup, I have been in it for 11 years, it just changes platforms.
    At first yahoo groups, myspace and deviantART were the hot spots with a forum called seatails

Then it was mer yuku and FB slowly started

Then mernetwork was the big place

Now it's more FB and instagram.

Tail making is expected to become a billion dollar industry this year (I shared an article about that before) and is becoming more affordable and accessible.

I've watched only 1 or 2 mermaids in the world get to do aquariums, and now it's become standard.

We now have multiple cons when we could barely pull off one in the past.

Meetups are standard, everyone can meet someone now, when before we were spread out across the world with few and far in between

[redacted]
    Last edited by CoriTheMergirl; 08-05-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar

Will the merfolk community grow in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by CurrentTheMerboy View Post
    That's awesome to hear! I didn't know so much was going on!

If I knew there were more mermen joining, I'd be even happier.
    Mermens are everywhere and we don’t exactly announce when we show up. Gender isn’t a big deal at meetup as it’s automatically assume there going to be people from all walks of life.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

The first merfolk I met and swam with was a merman that I found out went to my college and started mermaiding the same time as me.

However, he told me not to use his real name. He was worried that being a merman would affect the way he was viewed by people from a professional standpoint.

So there might be tons more mermen out there but they are just far more secretive. I remember reading one merman's accounts on here of him always swimming at times when people wouldn't be around and he made it a point not to be spotted because where he lives such a 'feminine' thing as mermaiding would be frowned upon for a man to do.

I don't think mermaiding is nearly as feminine as some outsiders make it out to be. The general public just doesn't understand the physical demands of mermaiding and how hard core it is with the foot blisters, breath holding, core workout, water up the nose, etc.

We are certainly seeing more and more mermen and also mermen are getting more popular on social media. Mermaiding is open to anyone and honestly the more mermen the public sees the more you will have guys inspired to jump into the hobby.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

[redacted]

There will be so many children (and hopefully adults too) be inspired by the upcoming live action remake of the little mermaid. I'm just mildly concerned about bogus alieexpress/wish tails and monofins about to cause accidents due to parents not wanting to shelf out money for a safe and proper tail/monofin, because they simply don't know any better. Thankfully my local pool, after friend and I made the staff aware of the dangers these, because they didn't have a clue. They didn't know these cheap monofins can shatter, no quick releases etc. I'm so happy they allow mermaiding, but I'm even more happy they ask my friend (a long time professional mermaid) for some legit advice about safety. They got absolutely no plans to ban it, but instead educate parents better on the danger of shitty quality gear.

But yeah, kinda holding my heart for accidents or worse to happen due to bad tails/monofins once the movie releases. Not to mention people overestimating their kid's swimming ability etc, just throwing your kids with a monofin into the ocean. You know, the typical unintended ignorance on the topic.

On the other hand, I can't wait to see more boys and girls (and hopefully some grownups too) hyped to learn to swim as a mermaid. The more the merrier!

[redacted]

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Interesting thread - hadn't realised that things were moving more on to instagram/facebook (I'm not sure if I understand instagram, but I'm on facebook - any recommendations on mermaid-related facebook groups to join?).

I'm also thinking about setting up some sort of merman page on facebook/youtube etc - I've noticed that some people seem to put mermaid/merman in front of their name, and some put it after their name, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which way looks best?

Many thanks .