Thread: Any mers with pacemakers/icds

Any mers with pacemakers/icds

I am a new mermaid, but also just had my first pacemaker put in 3 months ago. I am wondering if anyone else has a pacemaker or icd and how the water or swimming with your tail and arms affect the pacemaker. I’m well past the initial lead healing time so I shouldn’t have to worry about pulling a lead loose, but I wanted to see if there was anyone else who has one that has more experience then this guppy.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Dunno. I'd imagine if you asked a doctor about it they'd give you a good answer.

I’m a sales rep for a big pacemaker company and see & work with patients with pacemakers all day long, every day. Swimming in a mermaid tail won’t interact or hurt the pacemaker. As long as your physician has cleared you medically to swim and/or freedive, you can swim with your tail with a pacemaker. There are some diving depths that you need to be aware of but those usually only an issue if you scuba dive. You would need to call the pacemaker company’s tech service to find out exact depths because each device is different. Freediving/mermaiding you probably aren’t reaching those depths. Normal arm movements that are required with swimming are fine. Make sure you are going to all your appointments and checks. There is always a risk of pulling or fracturing the wire but it is a small risk and swimming a few times a week shouldn’t be an issue. I have patients who golf every day, who body build and even one who is a rock climber & snowboards. Remember to listen to what your physician says. If they say no swimming, then no swimming. The pacemaker is there to allow you to get back to normal activities!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Aerial Princess

Florida Springs Mermaid
    "You Can Swim With Us!"
    https://www.facebook.com/floridapods/

Tampa Bay Mermaid
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidaerialprincess/