Thread: Water Maiden of Darkness

Water Maiden of Darkness

Hello,

I’m a “new” member – I joined a few years ago but at the time couldn’t invest in a tail. Every year Colossalcon comes around and I dream of having a beautiful tail and hanging out in the wave pool (one of my favorite things to do at Kalahari, regardless of tail).

I’ve done cosplay before, but it’s never felt quite right if it’s not a character of my own design. My goal this year is to be a beautiful water maiden of darkness – but I have a few questions before I invest.

1. I have an undiagnosed medical issue, part of this is cramps in my legs and feet (I do not plan on swimming currently, so no danger of harming myself). Will this affect my ability to wear a tail? From what I understand you need to point your toes.
    2. What is a good company to purchase a tail from? I’ve looked at many of the links in the tail buying guide, but it seems that it needs some updating. As my first tail, I don’t want to invest thousands if I find it’s not feasible for me long-term, but the fabric tails don’t look the best.

With the above point, I made a list of the current status of the shops in the tail buying guide. Hopefully this is helpful, as a new member I found it a bit frustrating to find some were no longer in business.

Commercial:
    AquaTails – Closed – Website leads to a placeholder and it seems that the owner has confirmed closing.

1. Screenshot

Delfina Mermaid – Open
    Finfolk Productions – Open
    Finfun Mermaid Tails – Open
    Flip-Tails (Mike Van Daal) – Unsure – Facebook and Instagram updated February 2019.
    House of Mer – Unsure – Website leads to a placeholder. Twitter updated March 2018, Facebook and Instagram updated July 2018.
    LaNyahMerparel – Open – Etsy shop not yet linked.

1. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaNyahMerparel

Mazu’s Mermaid Emporium – Open
    MerBellaStudios – Open – Etsy shop is on break.
    Mermaid Citrine – Unsure – Instagram updated May 2019, Facebook updated September 2019.
    Mermaid Island Tours – Unsure – Website can’t be loaded. Facebook updated October 2019.
    Mermaid Jessica – Unsure – Facebook updated September 2019.
    Mermaid Kat Shop – Open
    Mermaid Magictail – Open
    Mermaidreams – Open – Facebook unavailable.
    Mermaid Rentals – Closed – Website available for purchase.
    Mermaid Tail Factory – Unsure – Website can’t be loaded. Facebook updated October 2019.
    Mermaids in Motion – Open
    Mermaid R Us – Closed – Website leads to a placeholder. Facebook unavailable.
    MerNation – Open
    MerrowFins – Open
    Mertailor – Open
    Merthology Creations – Unsure – Facebook updated September 2019.
    Miami Beach Mermaids – Open
    Once Upon a Mermaid – Open
    Otter Bay Suits – Open
    Planet Mermaid – Open
    Purple Mermaid Studios – Closed – Owner has opened a new shop called Mer Queen Creations.

1. Screenshot
    2. New Website: https://merqueen-creations.ecwid.com/
    3. New Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/merqueencreations

Rogue Siren Studios – Open
    See Through Sea – Open
    Sirenalia – Open
    Siren’s Calling – Open
    Splashtails – Open
    Sun Tails – Open
    Swimtails – Unsure – Website unavailable. Facebook page updated January 2020.
    Syren Studios – Closed – Not currently taking orders per Instagram.
    Tail of Art – Open
    Tailz Mermaid Gear – Open
    TF Artistry – Open
    Ura Mermaid LLD – Open
    Watersong Mermaid Tails – Unsure – Facebook unavailable.
    The2Tails – Open
    3 Fins – Open

Up and Coming:
    Abyss Mermaid Studio – Open
    Aqua Mermaid – Open
    Aurore la Siréne – Closed – Website and Facebook unavailable.
    Beauty and Brine – Unsure – Facebook updated November 2019.
    Eva Tail – Unsure – Etsy shop unavailable. Facebook updated December 2019.
    Got Mermaid? – Open – Website under construction, Etsy shop unavailable. Facebook page with more recent updates.

1. https://www.facebook.com/GotMermaid/

Grow a Tail – Closed – Website unavailable, Facebook updated December 2017.
    Les Nageoires d’Ondine – Open
    MerMade Tails – Open
    Pearlie Mae’s Beautiful Nonsense – Unsure -- Website leads to placeholder. Facebook updated January 2020.
    Scales by Nim – Closed – Website unavailable.
    Scales4U – Closed – Website and Facebook unavailable.
    Under Sea Mermaid Co. – Closed – Owner confirmed closing.

1. Screenshot
    Last edited by sarahintheroses; 01-16-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Welcome! I haven't done any tail-swimming, so I don't know specifics, but if normal tails don't work for you, there are guides on here about how to make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahintheroses View Post
    Hello,

I’ve done cosplay before, but it’s never felt quite right if it’s not a character of my own design. My goal this year is to be a beautiful water maiden of darkness – but I have a few questions before I invest.
    So I guess you are looking for a darker one.

1. I have an undiagnosed medical issue, part of this is cramps in my legs and feet (I do not plan on swimming currently, so no danger of harming myself). Will this affect my ability to wear a tail? From what I understand you need to point your toes.
    I would think so since you may break a fiber glass monofin due to a cramp I would suggest to use only a plastic or rubber fin which is more robust in that regard. Also you can not freely move in case of a cramp. Just imagine someone holding your feet together. You have to decide that on your own how much and what kind of movement your cramps trigger.

1. What is a good company to purchase a tail from? I’ve looked at many of the links in the tail buying guide, but it seems that it needs some updating. As my first tail, I don’t want to invest thousands if I find it’s not feasible for me long-term, but the fabric tails don’t look the best.
    Since you do not want to swim in it you have more choices but Magictail has a black one ("Midnight").

Shello! I cannot recommend enough the mertailor whimsy tails with fantasea fins. The monofins are silicone, which makes them super comfy and they move realistically. The whimsy fabric is way nicer than any other tail fabric I've seen and the stretch eliminates the folding and puckering that can make fabric obvious to spot. They also now have a custom option if you don't see one you like. Good luck with your water maiden journey!

Sent from my VS987 using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by CurrentTheMerboy View Post
    Welcome! I haven't done any tail-swimming, so I don't know specifics, but if normal tails don't work for you, there are guides on here about how to make your own.
    Thank you! I think the hardest part would be making clean molds.

I checked out the silicone tailmaking guide, looks like from that it's about $900, for maybe an extra $100-200 I could get one of the basic Genesis ones from MerNation (counting shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    So I guess you are looking for a darker one.
    I would think so since you may break a fiber glass monofin due to a cramp I would suggest to use only a plastic or rubber fin which is more robust in that regard. Also you can not freely move in case of a cramp. Just imagine someone holding your feet together. You have to decide that on your own how much and what kind of movement your cramps trigger.

Since you do not want to swim in it you have more choices but Magictail has a black one ("Midnight").
    It's definitely an option, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMountainMer View Post
    Shello! I cannot recommend enough the mertailor whimsy tails with fantasea fins. The monofins are silicone, which makes them super comfy and they move realistically. The whimsy fabric is way nicer than any other tail fabric I've seen and the stretch eliminates the folding and puckering that can make fabric obvious to spot. They also now have a custom option if you don't see one you like. Good luck with your water maiden journey!

Sent from my VS987 using MerNetwork mobile app
    I remember looking at these a few years ago but wasn't able to find them in the last few days! Thank you, seems I was looking in the wrong place.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome back. Scales by Nim closed without even making a tail. She went off the radar keeping a mermaid here from the mermetwork money. He "BBF" even stop posting that used to talk "in place" of her. Swimtail is back under a new name made by the wife.....although the site is still register under the husband.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    swimtails is closed, there's a bunch of drama threads explaining why.

fabric tails have come a long way, don't write them out completely.
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Yay! im not the only mer using this in 2020!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    If you wanted to go silicone, I feel like your cheapest and lightest option is MerNation’s basic tails. They use the finis wave if I am not mistaking which has foot pockets very similar to that of diving flippers. Which would make it easier to get on off especially if aren’t swimming in it.

Higher quality fabric tails from tail makers I trust would be Mertailor and FinFolk. Both have their advantages and disadvantages (mostly relating to drag/speed in the water). Overall, Mertailor’s silicone monofins would definitely be comfortable, but I would think they would be heavy outside of the water which could possible cause strain on your leg muscles, triggering a cramp. Mertailor has similar designs in their guppy tails which have the lighter Linden monofin. FinFolk’s fabric tails would give you more customizability for choosing a monofin that would best fit your needs, but they only have select colors.

A lot of mermaids point their toes to make things look more realistic in the water, but if you are just wearing the tail on land for now you wouldn’t have to especially if you are sitting.

You don’t even really have to when you are swimming, but I think it makes everything more fluid.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Also as a side note, I agree the tail forum needs be updated, but things here on the Network have been going kind of slow lately. A lot of the “Unsure” ones can be confirmed in the review threads. Some of the tail makers you placed in that category are very fishy and most mermaids have collective agreed not to do dealings with them.

It’s some of those things you pick up on the longer you hang around. For example, four-ish years ago, no one would have suggested buying tails from Mertailor, but now it’s is one of the top responses as Eric has really turned around his business.

There is also the problem with people creating businesses making a few tails and then going under or bowing out (esp silicone tails). When the community exploded around 2017 a lot of those business came with it. The owners themselves are often trying to figure their own status out.

I checked out the silicone tailmaking guide, looks like from that it's about $900.

place.
    That price has a lot fluctuation. I built my first one for around $600 and my second is adding up around $800. Mostly because I bought a way more expensive fiberglass monofin from waterway fins versus the fiberglass Finis Shooter I used before.

I think Courtney Mermaid on Youtube has mentioned that she has foot pain and maybe leg cramps - I'm not sure if she said it was a condition she has or not, but she might have a video about it or may be able to shed light on mermaiding with foot/leg cramping issues. Anyways, because of her foot problems she really loves the Finis Luna monofin so you might want to check that out.

I have had some bad foot/leg cramps when in my tail, and I just swim to the side of the pool and hold my fluke at 90deg level with the 'ground' and flex my feet/legs some and that usually stops my cramping. I haven't had to get out of the tail before due to that, but keep in mind that if you get a silicone tail it will be harder to quickly get out of it if you have some cramping discomfort.

Merbella Studios Inc takes limited orders these days. I think the best place to look for updates from them is on Facebook followed by Instagram.

Keep in mind that some silicone tail companies have a wait list of 2 or more years so depending on the company you choose, you could be waiting a very long time.

I personally think it sounds like you should get one of the higher end fabric tails such as a Finfolk or Mertailor fabric tail.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus