Thread: Should I get a tail?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod

Should I get a tail?

If you've seen Carl the Cod's thread "merman help," here, I have a similar situation.

I'm a guy with a fetish for mermaids, (I really don't think I'm a mervert) but I think tail swimming might be fun.

I have the question though of how much of my interest is part of the fetish and how much is not.
    Some have mentioned that if I do have a fetish, I might want to get a tail someday for..... different reasons.

That always seemed to be a but... unsavory to me. I actually took some discussions I've had on here about my fetish, and talked carefully with my dad about it.

He, like I expected, does not think that anything is bad about me having this fetish, as long as it is controlled of course.

From my discussion with him, I feel like, at least my personal choice is to keep my fetish out of future relationships in the future (not that I have before, I've just barely dated anyone

In the end, this isn't a big deal, I'm fine if a tail isn't the best thing for me. I also am pretty self conscious about wearing one in public, which is the only real option in the Rockies where there's less private places to swim.

But I dunno. I have the suspicion some may disagree with my thoughts here.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    First and foremost, tail swimming IS fun!
    For me, getting a tail was almost an evolutionary process. I learned to swim at a young age and enjoyed spending summers at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I have kept saltwater aquariums, run undersea games of Dungeons & Dragons, am scuba certified, have sea critter tattoos, and have enjoyed swimming as a merman virtually in Second Life. Getting an actual tail just seemed like the next logical step! "The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques Cousteau
    Have you considered taking this in stages? Try swimming in a monofin in public. Try wearing a mermaid blanket tail at home.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Well, this interest of mine is something I have not really shown publicly. Plus, as I mentioned above, I am unsure how much of my desire to do tail swimming is genuine interest, or just my fetish.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Do you enjoy swimming and being in the water in general? If so, you have a good chance of enjoying tail swimming. Try it. If you are not sure about swimming, first try that and get comfortable in the water.
    Also, when you are trying tail swimming, concentrate on the swimming, on your technique. Not on "I'm a Merman!" It will help keep you body under control.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!