Thread: Random Thought. Hybrid Zippered Tail?

Random Thought. Hybrid Zippered Tail?

Has anyone ever seen a Hybrid Ziplered tail? So neoprene/scuba inside with a built in zipper then a silicone outter scale and fluke. I feel like that make be what finfolk thought of lately but im thinking this type would be very popular for disabled mers that need a good price point. Easy entry and exigbut silicone look and feel.

People have made them here and there, but ultimately switch over to making full silicone and/or fabric or neoprene tails. I think the amount of steps makes this type of tail a lot more time consuming for tailmakers to create.

I think the latest example of one of these tails I saw was by a new tailmaker in Australia who put a zipper/velcro closure in the back of the tail and the inside was neoprene with a silicone outside.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    CreatureFins puts zippers in her tails, but they are all silicone. I am about to work on a similar silicone tail project in the coming months using power mesh to adhere a zipper, in a similar way to how you are describing the neoprene.

I believe the issue with doing silicone over neoprene is (unless you are trying to an extended tail) it’s really a waste of material and money. Dragonskin silicone is super strong as is when poured in thick quantities, such as a scale sheet, and power mesh is very porous (like panty hose) and adheres very well to silicone.

Also the only way it would be lower in price is if you didn’t use dragonskin silicone and went with the tube kind (that isn’t really good to use) or just cast the fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Not trying to cut costs actually opposite probably im trying to make them functional and compfeotablw for disabled mers like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLacy View Post
    Not trying to cut costs actually opposite probably im trying to make them functional and compfeotablw for disabled mers like myself.
    Oh okay, I was just assuming since you said “low price point” that you meant on the lower end of silicone costs like <$2,000 range.

Were you thinking more functional along the lines of easier to in and out of? More light weight? Or other?

weight is an issue sort of bit more is access points to get into so zipper locations and amounts as well as pulls etc.

weight is an issue sort of bit more is access points to get into so zipper locations and amounts as well as pulls etc.
    This definitely gets my mind working. In terms of weight, I see why you suggested neoprene now. Theoretically it wouldn’t be hard to add zippers and other things while building a silicone tail (or even after).

Just a suggestion, I don’t know if you have seen GripMore tails. I know they aren’t silicone, but they have individual scales, so they definitely look realistic and would be a lot lighter than silicone (plus the scales don’t fall off easily like sequined tailed and some Mythic tails). The best part is that the body and fluke are sold separately and there is a lot of room to customize, but the are pricey. I think it’s around $1,000 for the body (scale sheet) alone.

I actually work with them a lot and it crossed my mind it's definitely one in thinking about using im just wondering which feels more "professional" for mers who need pro tails but can't handle the physical aspects of a full silicone.

I actually work with them a lot and it crossed my mind it's definitely one in thinking about using im just wondering which feels more "professional" for mers who need pro tails but can't handle the physical aspects of a full silicone.
    I think anything that feels and looks real (has scales and texture) will look professional no matter what. It’s kind of become a staple that “real tails feel like silicone,” but in actuality fish don’t feel that rubbery. Just because there is a standard idea doesn’t mean that is what has to be accepted, especially in this community. It just leaves room to create something new and create unique mersonas!

I so love silicone sculpting though. I'm wrong on a few things now that are fun and making my own scales are really a fun challenge but now im leaning towards trying some gripmore skins out since I already work well with him.

I so love silicone sculpting though. I'm wrong on a few things now that are fun and making my own scales are really a fun challenge but now im leaning towards trying some gripmore skins out since I already work well with him.
    That sounds really awesome! I look forward to seeing your creations!

Thanks a lot are on Instagram.com/mermaid_khaleesi_ but these tails ill be taking my time on nit only for me but I want to see if something is doable to make it easier on a wide array of people.