Thread: German merfolk-to-be here!

Junior Member Euro Pod Tiefenrausch's Avatar

German merfolk-to-be here!

Hey guys! Just wanted to post a quick little introduction in here.
    I'm from germany and a long-time merfolk afficionado. I'm male, 28 (going to 29 in a few days) and in fact I was on these forums quite a while ago (I think), but never posted much. My dreams of getting into mermaiding were always postponed and pushed further away by stuff, but now that I'm really setting my mind to getting a tail and becoming the merman I always wanted to be, I thought it is high time to get back into the community to help me push myself with the rest of the way of really diving in .
    I still have no real mersona/merfolk name, so I go by my usual handle here until I find something that really fits. When I'm not thinking about merfolk I like to roleplay, and write stuff (sometimes about mers ).
    Normally I tend to be quite shy and self-conscious, but once I warm up to people I tend to become quite talktative

Hope to meet many nice people here!

Hi, I am Austrian and the DACH region is more active in private Facebook groups.

However welcome to Mernetwork.

Hey there!
    Well, since I don't use facebook really much I think I'll pass on this one for the time, but thanks for the heads up!
    I don't really think I will be meeting merms in real life anytime soon, since I'm not really able to leave my hometown and I am pretty sure that where I live there are no merms directly nearby, or else I would've seen them in pools or something.
    So for the time I stick to online stuff and since distance doesn't really matter here, at least I can talk with people with my interests
    Last edited by Tiefenrausch; 02-13-2020 at 12:43 AM.

I am sure there is at least someone nearby but maybe you have to go to the next village. There are some cons in Germany like one in Prienavera, the Mermates event in Belgium,... .

The events are usually in the upper western half of Germany and that is the reason I cannot join.

Probably. But trains cost quite a bit. And to be honest my self-consciousness would probably keep me from going there.
    But well, maybe some day. First I finally need to buy my tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiefenrausch View Post
    And to be honest my self-consciousness would probably keep me from going there.
    But well, maybe some day.
    If you go to a con you will not be alone so you are not as exposed as you think since you are hidden somewhere between the others. If you are alone you should expect people to talk to you some times due to interest in your hobby. At the beginning i only talked to my parents but now everyone can know it - it is nothing to be ashamed of and you have no choice anyway because anyone can see you in a public pool / a lake / the sea. BTW. Only one negative comment in 4 years and that was by a teenager. There are communities with more extreme stigmas like furry or fetish. Mer-community feels almost neutral in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiefenrausch View Post
    First I finally need to buy my tail.
    True. If you want to order from Germany you have Magictail and Mermaid Kat. You can also order from somewhere else but then you will have to wait longer and maybe you will have to pay import fees.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    True. If you want to order from Germany you have Magictail and Mermaid Kat. You can also order from somewhere else but then you will have to wait longer and maybe you will have to pay import fees.
    I have thought quite long about this, and since I like the tail designs of mertailor and fin fun and the likes more than the two german tailmaker ones, I chose to buy a fin fun tail. I found a quite legitimate looking online shop (not this wish or aliexpress stuff) that sells a few of the models here in germany, and they carry I design I really like, so I probably will buy from them. They're a bit more pricey than the original seller, but compared to shipping and custom fees it's still better than importing myself.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Welcome! You will notice that there are quite a number of mers active in Germany, you only have to keep an eye out.
    I am a mer from the north, roughly Hannover as a marker. Where are you from? More the south, like Munich, the north like Hamburg, the east like Berlin or the West like Cologne?

I'm hailing from NRW, on the mid-western part of it, not far from the border to the netherlands.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    As far as I know there is quite an active community in that region, especially when looking into the Netherlands and Belgium, too. That's why I asked. And yes, trains can be quite expensive, but especially in that region it should be doable, the network is dense and as far as I know there are cheap regional tickets (but you probably know already )

So, again: Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome :3 Maybe I should try to find connection to merfolk in the area... I always thought I would only find people over forums like this, scattered around the world, but I'll think about it to give it a shot.

Thanks! Will apply and at least look in it from time to time :3

Willkommen!
    Last edited by Mermaid Bauble; 02-16-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    Sadly, even though I applied, it seems they didn't accept me into the group. Waited for a few days now, almost a week, and got no acceptance or any kind of answer. Might be because my facebook is really empty and I'm not using my full real name (don't want to to be googled that easily). Well...

You can select in the profile settings if your profile is visible for externals. If it is not the case, it looks like your account is not existing when you are not logged in.

Sometimes approval of some groups may take a while but it should happen in one week. But sure, a profile that looks like a fake profile will not help to get in any private group.

I'm always logged in. Or rather, almost always.
    But yeah. I do not upload any pictures and stuff.
    But that's what these questions are for when you want to enter the group right? And I answered these like, not like a bot or something...

*kelpie noises* wheee! more german mers!
    and so many mer-men... potential under-water stable boys?

i'm from leipzig... we do have some nice lakes here... if you want to swim with me?
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Leipzig is pretty far from where I live, and as I said, my transportation situation is very dire at the moment :'D