Thread: Professional mermaids average wage?

Professional mermaids average wage?

Hi. I'm a total newbie to the mermaid community still only hoping for my first tail yet i am curious of the dream like job of pro mermaid and i have found a lot of information about it...but none about how much the average pro mermaid is paid so well can i ask that question? I don't wanna seems unpolite it's just for having a better idea of what the profession is that i ask that. Feel free to answer or ignore it.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Professional mermaids average wage?

It really just depends on the location, how experienced you are, what you bring to the table, etc.

Raina has a video explaining some of this on her “so you think you want to be a mermaid” series on YouTube.

I have only done a few gigs, so I am by no means doing this professionally, but I do know that you don’t set pay by the hour. Gigs usually run upward of a $100 depending on the factors above.

(Don’t forget that you have to factor in insurance and other such factors)

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    "pro mermaid" isn't really a job description. What will you do?

Underwater performances in tanks, maybe with other performers? Synchronized swimming?
    Stage performances (singing, etc) with a mermaidy twist? Modelling as a mermaid?
    Birthday parties? Babysitting in a tail?^^

all those are options. Look up the wages for the "normal" activity and add some extra for the mermaid part, is what you can usually expect.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Check out my video on this topic:

Hopefully it'll help you figure out what to charge

Oh thanks you all for the information, i'm going to see that video. Just before i wanna clear some misunderstanding, i'm a total newbie in the mermaiding community so i had no intention of personnally being pro mer any time soon yet. Just being mer period is something very new to me at this point and i guess it needs far more experience than that. It is just that i was curious because when seeing all the pro mer video when they are paid for swimming in mertail and do crazy stuff like swimming in the sea with shark and all that i thinked "wow that's cool i wonder how many people have such a wonderful main job and how much they get paid it's seems so much hard work i hope the wage is adequate". That was curiosity more than anything sure i would love to have such a job but i am skeptics on my own ability to do so mainly because well...three thing first i'm ugly (not self-loathing just fact i could live with that but let's be honest people have a hard time looking at me so that get modelling out of my options except maybe as a monster sea witch but most model are not like that i guess that don't interest many people, second well i'm a very good swimmer but not a pro one, i'm only a beginner in diving i've done a lot but only not very far deep down and always with some material and i'm disabled it's does not show too much underwater witch is part of why i feel better in it but as it's a problem with coordination i fear it might get synchronized swimming complicated and third well i'm still a total newbie. Now with experience the third one could be done with but the two others won't go away any time soon. Now i may be exagerating because i tends to be pessimistic but still i think i have good reasons to doubt my own hability to do some money this way. That said even tough i could still needs some song classes to a pro level i'm not a bad singer at all so that not bad idea and well i'm think the birthday party should be ok but how do you go to a birthday party in a tail (stupid question i know but i can be very stupid)? Well thanks i will see the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    ... but how do you go to a birthday party in a tail (stupid question i know but i can be very stupid)?
    You put you tail on after you get there. (I use a wheelchair to get around after.)

So how do you do with kids...you pretend some kind of Sailor Moon Magic transformation and then just hide to change of outfit discretely? Well my disability does not imply a need for a wheelchair on daily activity even if it is useful and confortable in certain circumstances like for doing ball team sports but since it's not a permanent need for me i don't have one. Mostly it's shows up daily with me being clumsy to a dangerous level everyday you know that clumsy girl in anime it's that but x10 that's the best way i think i could sum it up without getting boringly technical. Thanks you the video was great if i were ever to seriously consider doing some payed mer events i would probably buy your book or recommand it to someone else who wants that if i ever meet anyone that way inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    So how do you do with kids...you pretend some kind of Sailor Moon Magic transformation and then just hide to change of outfit discretely? Well my disability does not imply a need for a wheelchair on daily activity even if it is useful and confortable in certain circumstances like for doing ball team sports but since it's not a permanent need for me i don't have one. Mostly it's shows up daily with me being clumsy to a dangerous level everyday you know that clumsy girl in anime it's that but x10 that's the best way i think i could sum it up without getting boringly technical. Thanks you the video was great if i were ever to seriously consider doing some payed mer events i would probably buy your book or recommand it to someone else who wants that if i ever meet anyone that way inclined.
    I guess it really varies for different Mers and what your Mersona is. For the two parties I have done (one pool party and a dry gig) I’ve arrived discretely, changed, and then rolled out to the party.

Ok thanks you.