Thread: Stormwrecked LARP

Stormwrecked LARP

EDIT: Stormwrecked has been postponed to Halloweekend 2021. There are six tickets left.

Hey everyone... anyone else going to attend Stormwrecked?

It is a Live-Action Role-Playing weekend event set during the golden age of piracy, where three vessels are shipwrecked in a storm (and thanks to a kraken) on a mysterious and cursed island, inhabited by monsters and a powerful entity (witch? goddess? spirit?) known as Calypso. But that's not all... the curse slowly changes people on the island into animals, plants, and even the terrain itself. Two of the teams, the Navy and the Pirates, are newcomers to the island, but there is a third team of Cursed Pirates who have been shipwrecked for far longer and are considerably further along in their progressive curses (including thus far owls, dragons, octopi, flying fish, poisonous plants, etc, several of whom are rather merfolk-like in their mid-transformed shapes).

The event will be held on the weekend of Halloween 2020 (October 30th-November 1st) at the Sanderling Resort just north of Duck, North Carolina, which, as part of the Outer Banks is in an area that was legendary for pirates. Hotel stay needs to be paid separately from the ticket for the event.

I've got the role of Navigator for the crew of the Siren's Jewel (the cursed pirates team) but there are a few more openings remaining if people are interested.
    Last edited by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!; 03-31-2021 at 11:13 AM.

This sounds so fun! I'm from Atlanta, which isn't too terribly far, and hopefully I could make a trip there!

Looks interesting! I emailed them and when this whole plague dies down I'll book a room

what do you find on a mini beach?

microwaves!

Just got my character backstory as Volans De Luca, navigator of the Siren's Jewel trying to keep his shipwrecked crew of strong-willed individuals from each other's throats while being drawn to the sea by family mystery, need to get away from the others for a breather, and the effects of his gradual transformation into a fish-like humanoid! I am psyched!

The Stormwrecked LARP I'm attending Halloween weekend shared the post below about a new free "scholarship" ticket a generous donor set up, with a stipulation that it goes to a femme/female-identifying individual to encourage Femme in LARP. As I got to attend through a similar scholarship ticket, and I am really excited about it, I thought I should share. The LARP is about three ships during the age of sail who are shipwrecked on an enchanted island: a naval/colonial ship, a pirate ship, and a older pirate ship whose crew has been on the island and is undergoing the long-term curse that turns everyone on the island into animals, plants and parts of the island itself. It will be held in the Outer Banks Halloween weekend. Hope some of you can attend (though I signed up for the event before social distancing was on the horizon, and I quite understand people are leery of going to events this year).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Friday everyone! I hope you are doing well!

We have exciting news! We had a generous donor create a 'scholarship' ticket for a new player! The one stipulation is that it goes to supporting Femme in Larp as a way to help female identifying individuals build confidence through larp!

This scholarship ticket will be free to the randomly selected applicant, but please keep in mind that rooming at the resort is not included.

At this time, the venue is not rescheduling fall events. We are monitoring the situation. Any payments made to a Stormwrecked ticket between April 1 and September 1 will be fully refundable to players, should they decide not to attend for any reason.

Thanks everyone, and take care!

https://forms.gle/sMBwcdhSeFquVKzx6

(Neither Flamma Mysteries nor Flamma Mysteries staff were involved in the creation of this scholarship beyond facilitating the application process. This scholarship is offered through an outside party, and as such, follows the stipulations as requested by said party.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using MerNetwork mobile app

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Runa's Avatar

Follow Runa on Tumblr
    Sounds like an amazing concept but how did it go with current events? I hope something like this would be able to continue in future years.

Sorry, for some reason I only just saw this alert.

Stormwrecked was postponed from 2020 due to the pandemic, and all tickets/payment plans suspended for Halloweekend of this year. They are planning to play it but there is a limit of 50 total tickets for the place to keep things under a reasonable population. That said, there are about 8 or 9 tickets left.

Over the pandemic they have had occasional discord and zoom get togethers where players are able to get into character and gain some benefits and starting advantages for their crews, including an introduction (cursed treasure for the Cursed Pirates crew), halloween (sea ghosts), holiday (Krampus stealing shipwrecked children), and St Patrick's day (kelpies and will o the wisps) events. They will do at least one more of those, and things are going ahead for the in person event (the staff member playing Calypso has had both shots, the hotel is good to go, and growing numbers of the players are getting vaccinated).

This is a one time event, so it won't be continued in future years, but if you'd like to go and are going to be vaccinated by halloween (which is hopefully everyone) feel free to sign up before the tickets run out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Runa View Post
    Sounds like an amazing concept but how did it go with current events? I hope something like this would be able to continue in future years.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Ah, sorry, a correction: there will be a maximum of 45 players spread between the three teams: Navy/Colonists, Pirates, Cursed Pirates/Longtime Island inhabitants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Six tickets left for Stormwrecked! If you're interested, feel free to check it out: Stormwrecked

Add mermaidchanele on Facebook
    I am an experienced performer and would love more info!

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidchanele View Post
    I am an experienced performer and would love more info!
    What sort of info are your curious about?

There are now three more tickets remaining, one for each crew (Pirates, Navy/Colonists, Cursed Pirates/Shipwreck Survivors gradually becoming animals and plants).

There will be several mini games, including the tabletop game, which will use a variation on the Powered by the Apocalypse system, and an escape room. There will be a costume contest to be Calypso's new muse, and a sand castle sculpting contest. Finally, resources can be traded between players of any team to help teams build ships, fortifications, and other defenses/weapons/resources, with the help of each team Quartermaster and at the guidance of each Captain.

There will be about three photographers so no one needs to break immersion with cameras, and you can schedule a photo session to take pictures in costume.

Before the event, there will be an online game session for each team, which is optional, but fun. Dates are still being decided, but it will be sometime in October.

The game will start October 29th around noon, and end before noon on Halloween (Sunday will mostly be debriefing). The discounted rooms are going but a lot of people are willing to share and have room.

COVID safety: The admission has been limited below the older limits for gatherings, so if things do get restricted, we'll be within the limits. We will be mostly secluded from other guests. Stormwrecked will be providing stylized masks at arrival that people can choose to wear or not without concern for their costumes, though everyone is required to provide proof of vaccination before or at arrival. They are planning on going ahead with the event unless the venue or the state restricts things to make the game unplayable, which seems unlikely at this point.

Further game details, copied from Alexandra Clinton, the game designer:
    "1) Survival Theme: this game is about groups of people being washed up on an island and trying to navigate the traditional hardships combined with magic to survive. Please note: there are components designed to tug on your heart strings... We hope we present some unexpected situations that make you think and build alliances. There are BIG SECRETS that we have kept as a surprise for THREE YEARS. We hope that it will make for a memorable experience. 2) Scripted Scenes: that being said, we have some scripted scenes planned (those from Maelstrom Mansion know how it works.) Mostly revolving around Calypso, some scenes will be either entirely pre-set or have a series of outcomes that we have pre-planned (for example, our Maelstrom closing scene with Cthulhu: it was always going to happen, but how it ended was determined by the course of the game.) If there is a BIG SCENE involving players, you should safely assume that it was pre-planned and that it was set to go off regardless of intervention.

3) Game Mechanics: our game utilizes abilities and stats, but only in the tabletop games (Captains do have an ability that can be used during Map Missions.) There is a society track and goals to accomplish through freeform play, and freeform opportunities in response to the Map Mission resolves.

4) Resource Tokens: a large component of the game will be gathering PHYSICAL RESOURCE TOKENS (which are hidden around the resort, recovered in table top games, and awarded for our mini games). These tokens go to your Quartermaster, who is responsible for doing things like: building defenses, sending out exploration vessels, building weapons, or gathering additional resources. These can also be used to trade and negotiate with other teams as well.

5) Calypso: "Defeating" Calyspo is not an option. Please do not waste your time trying. The plot of this is not to defeat her, but to follow her rules to escape the island. The goal is to collect the Totems of the Seven Seas. There will be challenges in your way beyond just retrieving them from the games/missions. Focus on those, not Calypso herself."

Six tickets are now available, three of which are from the pirate team.

So, the Stormwrecked LARP finally went off, and it was fun and surprising and exciting. I got to play Volans de Luca, a shipwreck survivor turned navigator who was becoming a flying fish and was a member of the Cursed Pirates who had been on the enchanted island for some time. Volans ended up staying on the island, since only twelve living survivors could get off the island, and he recognized that others deserved their chance to sail away. But before that, we were all shocked by the well-kept secret that there was a fourth team of ghosts of people from the other teams who died in the storm and afterwards. We fought a leviathan and a kraken, dealt with secrets and betrayals, traded and gathered resources of water, food, wood, linen, stone, air bubbles, and metal to build fortifications, rafts, and other tools of exploration and protection and strategy, wielded boffer foam weapons, dove for treasures in the indoor pool, built sand castles, fished with toy fish and magnetic fishing rods in the outdoor swimming pool, played various beach games like tug of war and limbo and racing to the water to fill up buckets and bottles, and launching bocce balls, as well as tabletop adventures powered by the apocalypse and emotional roleplay between the different characters who explored their relationships and memories. And, as part of finding a cure for the island curse, the teams had to go to the indoor pool to meet the mermaids and ply them with stories and songs that inspired sorrow or laughter in order to acquire mermaid tears. Because of the pandemic, there were fewer NPCs and staff on hand, and none of them had any experience swimming in tails, so the larp organizer who knew I did asked me if I would play the npc merperson. In a fabric tail that my mom and I made, with foot slits for my mertailor kicks and an extended tail behind the kicks as pectoral fins, I had a vertical caudal fin... and it looked pretty cool. I enjoyed playing Hylas, the maneating and vain merman who was nevertheless reminded of his lost and tragic humanity by the emotional and funny stories and shanties performed by the players, and I got some good quips in. I still need to take better pictures of the tail, but you can see the professional pictures of everyone's costumes here, and brief glimpses of my above water appearance as Hylas. Oh, and as Volans, I won the Most Flair for the costume contest thanks to the flying fish "wings."

The author's skillful use of anecdotes and real-life examples adds shell shockers depth and relatability to the article, allowing readers to connect with the content on a personal level.

LARPs often create an immersive experience through costumes, props, undertale yellow and settings that transport participants into the game's world.

The number of tickets is not enough for my group of friends so I will attend the event next year. mapquest directions

LARPing involves creating a fictional world or scenario, often with a mix of fantasy, tunnel rush adventure, or themed elements. Players assume roles, develop characters, and interact within the rules and setting of the game.