Thread: Neoprene / Silicone Caulk / Mica Powder Tail

Neoprene / Silicone Caulk / Mica Powder Tail

Hello everyone!

I want to share my progress making my first mermaid tail! Total cost is about $90. Base is 1.5mm neoprene. I'm going to add clear silicone scales, then dust mica powder on top, then spray with silicone sealant. I may add some pearls when I see how it looks.

Here are some photos (one photo shows an initial mica powder test that I put on a plastic bag so that I could test different fabric colors underneath).

Let me know what you all think! Happy mermaiding!

MerLindy

Name:  IMG_27162.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  150.6 KBName:  IMG_27282.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  163.1 KB

Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Ohhh I love the colors!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met MerNetwork

Junior Member Euro Pod
    That is beautiful! I love the mica powder colours and the shape of your fluke. are you leaving it open at the bottom? I'm currently making a spandex and silicone caulk tail and can't work out how I am doing the fluke. What monofin are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by MaristellaMeri View Post
    That is beautiful! I love the mica powder colours and the shape of your fluke. are you leaving it open at the bottom? I'm currently making a spandex and silicone caulk tail and can't work out how I am doing the fluke. What monofin are you using?
    I have a Finis Wave that I bought as a kid by doing chores to earn money haha! I'm planning to leave the bottom open for drainage. I stitched a few places to hold the very edges of the end of the fluke closed. If it gapes in water, I'll add some snaps or dots of velcro closer to the center so that I can still remove the monofin.

Here are some test photos. The scales are made with a spoon dipped in soapy water, and the fluke texture is made with a fork (color will match the scales, not as pictured).

Name:  IMG_8672.JPG
Views: 462
Size:  256.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2762.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  254.0 KB

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by MerLindy View Post
    Here are some test photos. The scales are made with a spoon dipped in soapy water, and the fluke texture is made with a fork (color will match the scales, not as pictured).

Lovely textures. How well does the silicone behave with the fork? I'm experimenting with fluke textures now too. Also, unrelated to tail making but I am loving all the great board games in the background!

Quote Originally Posted by MaristellaMeri View Post
    Lovely textures. How well does the silicone behave with the fork? I'm experimenting with fluke textures now too. Also, unrelated to tail making but I am loving all the great board games in the background!
    It’s super easy with the fork! I spread a smoothish later of silicone with a spoon, and then drag the prongs down once, and then offset at a slight angle and drag down again, and tweak if needed and that’s it. I was surprised at how easy it was to get that look. Hehe we love board games! Terraforming Mars is my favorite.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest
    Pod of the Great Lakes

Blending of the different colors

Quote Originally Posted by MerLindy View Post

Name:  IMG_8672.JPG
Views: 462
Size:  256.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2762.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  254.0 KB

How did you go about getting a good gradient on all of those different colors?? It's so beautiful! I'm making my own tail and I am struggling with blending the silicone colors and making it look natural

Awww thank you! I found that I wanted to go for a light application of the powder so that the silicone would still be somewhat translucent rather than having a solid metallic finish. I wanted the fabric color to show through. I dip a large makeup brush in a small amount of powder, then a tap the loose powder off, then I lightly brush it over the silicone. I found I can remove some of the powder with my fingers if there's too much in a certain area. At the end, I'll apply a silicone spray on top so that the powder doesn't wash off. The spray slightly darkens the colors also, which I like.