Thread: I'm here, I'm queer... UK

I'm here, I'm queer... UK

Hello everyone, I'm Socks. Yes seriously I'm going to get it legally changed to Socks as soon as I have the money for the legal fees. I'm here because, quite frankly, I have no real community to speak of in my real life. Not only am I very very queer in a small town in North Yorkshire, I'm also disabled. Many people have a stereotype built in their mind where disabled people are 'lesser' beings, or that anything that affects the body so severely must "clearly" also have a diminishing effect on the mind. Last time we had my IQ tested, it was 181. I also struggle pretty hard to walk more than ten feet at a time. You'd be surprised by the number of people who feel threatened by and angry about this fact. It upsets the apple cart of their preconceived notions, and their reaction usually isn't pretty. Throw in my queerness and my outright rejection of the gender binary, and nobody around here wants anything to do with me!

The one place where my pain level is extremely lowered is in the pool. It's a battle for me to get *to* the pool, and to quiet my thoughts enough to appreciate being there, but it has a soothing effect on my battered joints and makes it easier for me to move around. I'm not so sure I have a 'mersona' yet or anything like that, but... A community that's designed to be open and welcoming to everyone and based around being in the pool...that does have its appeal, you know? I figure I'll just nose around here, see who I meet, and see what happens.

I'm 32, I'm from Dublin, Ireland, but I live in North Yorkshire, England nowadays. My other hobbies are video games, knitting, and crocheting. Basically anything I can do from bed or while sitting down. My gender is "none" and my pronouns are they/them. I'm incredibly effeminate, but that's not the same thing as being a woman. I just like pink and pastels and mermaid-y colours, and glitter and pearls and apparently most people associate that with womanhood. Which is a them problem, not mine.

I come from a trauma background, I'm not going to just dump that all out in my intro, but it's there beneath the surface. Family is a no-go topic, and holidays (like Easter!) are a tough time for me, hence I'm on the internet looking for people to connect with. Any pod interested in adopting a lost child?

Anyway, hi, hello, nice to meet you.

Hello socks! Nice to meet you - im a uk mermaid too from Devon I love crocheting too xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jazzy! Made anything nice recently?

I went overboard in the lockdown! Lol

What bout you?!

Those are lovely! Here's some of my projects: https://imgur.com/a/sSePI7V

Aw I love them! And such sweet models

Aww, thanks! I tend to hang out with older people, they're more forgiving about my disabilities and we have more in common--crocheting, being quiet, not going to parties...

welcome. I am also a disabled mer (heart issues). but one thing I have learned about the mer community is they seem to be very accepting regardless of age, race, gender, disablility, lgbt (I myself am trans, as well as lesbian and ace), etc. I have been welcomed by all mers I have talked with

Hi Asteria! I'm nonbinary, ace, and like I said I'm effeminate, so my partner is a lesbian even though I'm not exaaaactly a girl. Gender is weird and confusing, and I'm absolutely definitely not a man, and she says her orientation is "absolutely definitely not into men" so she identifies herself as a lesbian and we've decided this is close enough. It's nice being somewhere where... It's not that it "doesn't matter". It DOES matter, it's important to me, but.... Somewhere where that's not a *bad* thing.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    While I'm not a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I also appreciate the safe space mernetwork is. In a lot of circles, a 22 year old guy wanting to be a merman is considered rather strange.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Aika's Avatar
    Welcome to MerNetwork!
    I hope you'll show us some more of your knitting/crocheting projects at some point, I love to see what people make!

@CurrentTheMerboy Yeah, you don't need to be LGBTQ+ to be considered 'weird' if you don't behave the way society thinks you ~should~. Nice to meet you!

@Aika I know where you got your avatar~~ I should upload mine. I love Inkscribble! I'm currently working on knitting a frog, but I'm absolutely hating making the feet. HATING it! They're so small and awful! ;A;