Thread: Help?

Help?

I’m thinking of getting my first tail for the large wading pool at my home. The problem is it’s hard to get myself to convince my mom to get it, because I’m kinda closeted still and uncomfortable talking about mer stuff. I may need some help.
    ~ The Gaming Merman, Carl

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar
    hey there carl. its hard to come out. no one in this fourm will tell you to do so if you're not comfortable to. if you feel asking your mom will out you sooner than you would like, the only other options are to make your own, or save up your allowance for something like a fin fun tail.

if you're asking on how to approach asking as an entirely unrelated subject, simply explaining mermaiding is a fun hobby you want to try for yourself would suffice, the question 'why' isn't necessarily anyone's business besides that. come researched, have links and testimonials from our mer-influencers we have here. its easier using fin fun's sight as the marketing tries to included both boys and girls to try and help de-stigmatize the hobby.

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    Something I recommend, look up professional freedivers. They use monofins. Freediving and scubadiving are more male-inclined and so she may be more understanding of it. It's core + resistance training. Get a finfun pro (they're $65 last I checked) and work with that until you're able to tell your parent about mermaiding Hope that helps
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    And if you don't like finfun designs, a Mertailor Fantasea 1 fits a finfun monofin. Their fabric tails are only 100 and there are mers on Instagram who can get you 10% off with their codes (Evil Queen Siren and Merman Thommy are two such mers)
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    I would recommend slowly introducing the subject. Say something like, "I saw a really cool video of people doing something called tail-swimming."
    Then you can slowly mention on it a bit more, until you say that you want to get a tail.

It will be difficult, but I bet that it will better once you get over that initial hurdle. Make sure to do it when you have your mom's full attention; that way you won't have to repeat yourself.
    You might want to even show her a video, preferably one that shows guys in it too.

I hope that this goes well for you Carl. Just be confident, and if your mom says it's a little weird, stay calm, and don't get argumentative. Stay cheerful, and just say you think it would be cool.