Thread: Tips and advice for Mersona?

Tips and advice for Mersona?

I'm stuck on my mersona, I've already found the name I like I'm drawing a blank on what my background should be? Any tips for how I should go about this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    wait, like your backstory?
    sisters of the tide are we,
    bound by salt and sand and sea,
    selkie, siren, mermaid daughters,
    priestesses of the holy waters.
    ~🐚~

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    so, my tips are, well, first, what is your mersona like? are you playful and clumsy? are you mean and mysterious? you should decided what you are like so you can have some foundation to your backstory. another tip , make a mermaid journal!!!! take a normal note book and decorate it with shells, biogradible glitter, or anything you like! then inside, that is where you can keep track of all your ideas and plans and mermaid things. i created one awhile ago, and it works perfectly for organizing your mer-business and creating your mersona
    Name:  Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 10.08.39 AM.png
Views: 203
Size:  55.6 KB
    sisters of the tide are we,
    bound by salt and sand and sea,
    selkie, siren, mermaid daughters,
    priestesses of the holy waters.
    ~🐚~

As a furry and someone who plays int he SCA and a tabletop RPGer, I have a lot of experience developing characters and personas and stories.

The easiest thing is to draw upon yourself for inspiration. Take an aspect of your self and enhance it to the extreme. In terms of back story, find something that fascinates you and figure out why or how it came to be, and make your character a part of that history. For mersona-ing, it can also be useful to draw upon your tail colours or the fish or animal that has given your tail inspiration.

To help, my tail will be based on a Swell Shark. They are gentle creatures, pretty reserved and quiet but they intake water like a pufferfish when they are threatened. Taking that, my Mersona is also pretty shy and reserved but isn't one to pick a fight with and will knock your teeth out if you threaten someone she loves. I also volunteer with a bird rescue and there is an Osprey that I am totally in love with. After watching him and feeding him one day, I came up with the idea of a mermaid falconer, who bonds with an Osprey (or another water bird) and hunts fish, like human falconers do with...well falcons, to hunt mice and small game. So that is another part of my character and backstory.

So finding things you like and weaving them together, just like every person has done withtheir backstory. Knowing what ocean you grew up in can help, what kind of hobbies you had as a minnow, are you an only child, those sorts of small decisions can lead to larger more developed mersonas.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app