Thread: Help choosing a whimsy skin?

Help choosing a whimsy skin?

Hey!

I’m saving up for a tail right now. Initially I was saving for a Merbella Studios one, but I figured that it’s maybe too hard to get a tail production slot, the wait times are long and I don’t intend to do professional mermaid work, so that big of an investment might not be smart for me. Right now I’m looking into the Mertailor Whimsy tails, but I have a hard time picking which one I like the best, so I was hoping you guys could give me your advice

This is not going to be my first tail, but it is going to be my first ”serious” tail in a way, lol What I mean is that I didn’t really think about my look with my previous tail, but this time I want to build more character behind my costume and have a cohesive aesthetic that suits me.

I’d say I’m a bubbly and friendly person, but pretty introverted and sometimes even scared of other people. I love the arts (visual art, music, sculpting, film, theatre, dance... everything!) and animals, especially misunderstood ones, like rats, crows, bats, sharks: I had a really rough childhood, so I always found comfort in animals and really related to the ones that nobody else around me seemed to care about. Because of all this I see myself as a kind, but solitary mermaid, who’d probably live in an underwater cave somewhere in deep waters and spend her days collecting shiny things, singing and playing with the fish and sea creatures around her.

Out of the fantasea fins I like the too and three best and I’d like my tail to have at least some extra fins.

Which whimsy skin do you guys think would suit my description best? Which one is your favorite and why?

Thanks so much for your help

Arctic crush whimsy for the 3 fin. It has a moody color scheme and the colors aren't flashy, which matches the whole cave-dwelling introvert thing as well as the affinity for unconventional animal friends. As for being misunderstood and bubbly/friendly, the extra fins and scale pattern have a bold rounded shape to them, signifying a soft and friendly personality.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Thanks! I agree, it really suits me

I was looking into doing a custom Whimsy Tail. It's an extra $100-$200 for an artist to design the tail for you but you can put so much of yourself into it and really be sure it's a unique product.

I am similar in personality, at least with the misunderstood animals. I adore sharks and snakes and corvids and vultures but Cows are my favorite animal <3 I love dark caves and the deep ocean fascinates the hell out of me! Anywho, I am wanting to get a tail designed after a specific shark because you don't see enough love for sharkies in the mercomm. So anywho, my recommendation would be to figure out your favorite few colours (someone introverted might like to blend in so choose darker greens and blues) and work with one of Mertailor's 4 artists to create your own design!
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I’ve thought about that too, but honestly I like the Mertailor’s own style better than any of the artists’. The drawback is that I can’t customize the tail, but I think I’ll manage. I hope you get your dream tail! Can I ask which shark you want to design your tail after?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blobfishcouture View Post
    I’ve thought about that too, but honestly I like the Mertailor’s own style better than any of the artists’. The drawback is that I can’t customize the tail, but I think I’ll manage. I hope you get your dream tail! Can I ask which shark you want to design your tail after?
    Mertailor offers an option of ordering a custom Whimsy! I think the way it works is that you contact one of the designers from an authorised list, work with them to design your tail and send it to the Mertailor to create!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Yup, I was talking about the art style of these designers and that I like the Mertailor’s own designs better

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Maybe one of the scaly crocodile themed ones, since you "probably live in an underwater cave somewhere in deep waters".

Quote Originally Posted by blobfishcouture View Post
    Yea, that makes sense. There were definitly a few that I liked but I really want a tail in browns and that isn't offered on literally any site anywhere. I did really like the croc tail Mertailor has int he 'threes' but it just isn't the same. I really want a Swell Shark tail <3
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

The marron betta in the threes is brown-ish The croc tails are really cool, I’ll probably go with the arctic crush that BlueCorvidae suggested. I googled swell sharks - such cute little guys!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Copper Fish, Maroon Betta, Swamp Thang (Too) or Moon Kelp are other options for a deep water/brownishgreenish. Or Royal Angel which is a beautiful sandy color that is unique in that you've never seen a tail like it. I have it and it's just stunning in person (the color reminds me of bread tbh). None will be 'perfect' but they're all beautiful in their own right. Ppl cry for customs too, but honestly, if you haven't tried any of the Fantasea fins in person I would wait until you get a feel for the monofin and the accessory fins on the tail before you spend money on a custom. You may end up not liking the extra drag or the weight of the fin.