Thread: First tail

First tail

My first tail finally came in. I got one from fin fun. But the monofin (I got the advanced monofin pro) I find is too small for my feet. It says it should fit my feet, but the sock things are too small to get my feet into. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The Finfun holes are always too small. You have to force them open, breaking some of the sewing. Stick fingers from both hands into one hole and pull as hard as you can, over and over, until its large enough to get your feet in. Amazingly, this method came from Finfun.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    What size are your feet? I'm an 11 in women. I remember they were releasing the new design for the AMP that fits Bigfoot such as myself. They sent me one last year. I wonder if you got the older version of the fin. If you get it wet, it is much easier to get your foot in. But if you have a big foot like mine, you will REALLY struggle with their smaller/first version of the AMP. The new one I can get my foot in easier but need to wiggle my heel a little.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Size 11 woman is not large. (Well, its large for a woman. But nearly half of all people on earth have larger feet). I'm size 11 1/2 mens, and that is not large. Size 14 mens is large.
    Monofin makers just do not get this. They seem to think anyone who wants a monofin or a mer-tail has tiny feet.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 05-10-2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Size 11 woman is not large. (Well, its large for a woman. But nearly half of all people on earth have larger feet). I'm size 11 1/2 mens, and that is not large. Size 14 mens is large.
    Monofin makers just do not get this. They seem to think anyone who wants a monofin or a mer-tail has tiny feet.
    I work in a bowling alley so I would say I'm quite an expert on shoe sizes XD But a Women's 11 is a mens 9.5 which is definitly not large on a scale but, as Storm said, it's larger for a female. I believe I'm a m9/w10.5 but whenever possible I try to use European sizes because I know my size spot on for that. I find US sizes fluctuate way too much.

I've used the larger Finis (I can't remember which is which right now) and it fit me great!
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

For women, size 11 is definitely big. Some brands don't even make shoes in my size and I am directed to the men's shoes instead (which doesn't bother me, being genderqueer). The issue w/ Fin Fun is their original AMP was NOT made for any size bigger than women's size 10 if I remember right, due to a manufacturing error where the foot pocket opening was a half inch or so too small. Enough people complained that they fixed this (including me at a local event), they just had to run out of previous stock before they could send out new ones. Which is why I'm wondering if OP got the original version.

But again, WET the fin, wiggle your foot, and hope for the best. I think there's some methods in the Everything Fin Fun thread that would help like trying to enlarge the hole yourself.

Once you cram your foot in there, it's a good fin that is a massive improvement over their older models.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    For women, size 11 is definitely big. Some brands don't even make shoes in my size and I am directed to the men's shoes instead (which doesn't bother me, being genderqueer). The issue w/ Fin Fun is their original AMP was NOT made for any size bigger than women's size 10 if I remember right, due to a manufacturing error where the foot pocket opening was a half inch or so too small. Enough people complained that they fixed this (including me at a local event), they just had to run out of previous stock before they could send out new ones. Which is why I'm wondering if OP got the original version.

But again, WET the fin, wiggle your foot, and hope for the best. I think there's some methods in the Everything Fin Fun thread that would help like trying to enlarge the hole yourself.

Once you cram your foot in there, it's a good fin that is a massive improvement over their older models.
    I feel your pain, im a size 13 womens shoe, so its next to impossible to find shoes in my size at any store. im going to have to contact fin fun about the monofin and see what I can do about it.

I wonder if you would have to downgrade. Their size chart for the AMP isn't even for the right fin. It says their other fin only fits up to size 10??? I have used Fin Fun since 2014 and never had issues with size til their AMP (I have used all versions of their fins from crappy plastic to their latest). You can call or email, they are good at responding. They need to update their size chart!!

There are other fin options to an extent, if you do have their tail. But you have to watch out for burst seams and stretching. Suntails is closest in size/shape but risks bursting the seams because it is wider. Some people have success with the Luna too.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAsteria View Post
    im going to have to contact fin fun about the monofin
    Did you contact them and how did they respond?