Thread: Hair dye to match tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Hair dye to match tail

Anyone want to help me decide on my next hair color? It's only going to be temporary (laid off now, can do whatever I want w/ hair, but will assume next job won't appreciate fantasy colors). My newest tail is going to be a Mahi Mahi from Mertailor. I also have a new (to me) Delfina tail. Likely something blue is best, from Manic Panic, Arctic Fox, Splat, or some other cheapo but vegan hair dye. Unable to do a hair salon, for virus reasons. Probably just one color all over. What color would you do? (I have several other tails, but I want to focus on these newer ones.)

I'd say go with either an aqua or a dark-mid blue. The darker blue will match with the dark blue accents around the ankles of both tails. Depends a bit on your natural skin & hair colours though. If you have naturally dark hair then bleaching it pale enough to go aqua might be hard, although if you can only get it to a yellow blond you may have some luck using a sky blue over it to get aqua.

This Forum/website has a heap of good advice on dying your hair unnatural colours, and has colour swatches for a heap of different brands too.

I have hair past my butt that has been royal blue for 3-4 years now. I use La Riche Directions brand and find it great, not too much colour transfer from dry hair, enough from wet hair that I'll only use blue towels on it and try to keep it away from anything I don't want stained while it's drying and the colour last really really well.

I don't know how much experience you have dying your hair with the semi-permanents, so some things to keep in mind:
    - Pale colours require hair bleached to almost white, otherwise the yellow colour of the hair will distort the dye colour. So do blue's unless you don't mind them coming out greenish, even dark blues.
    - Even if you'r dying a darker colour, bleaching your hair first will make the dye stick much better.
    - If you are bleaching, I recommend using developer and bleach powder, rather than box lightening kits. I find it gives much better results and ends up cheaper if you have a lot of hair or plan to keep dying you're hair for a while.
    - Dyes will run when your hair is wet, so be careful what your hair comes into contact with when it's wet. This is more of a problem with darker colours.
    - There is a good chance that your hair will be permanently stained from the dye, even after it washes out, so be prepared to have to dye a darker colour over it when you want to go back to natural.
    - You can dilute darker dyes with conditioner to get a lighter shade, this is what I do, I use equal parts dye to conditioner of a 'midnight blue' dye to end up with bright/royal blue hair.
    - Manic panic has a reputation for fading really fast, I use La Riche Directions, which as I've said lasts really well, No idea about the other brands though.

Good luck

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    My hair is dark brown but has been bleached the past few months to hold a darker blue, then red, then green. It all fades so fast that I dye right over old colors. I had it professionally done the very first time in Feb but the blue faded so fast. I don't want to pay what I did again to have it fade fast. I have used Manic Panic before, and altho it fades fast I have very short hair so a tub will last me and is easy to apply.

Right now my hair is dyed with a dark green from Splat. It's been a few weeks and it seems like this color hasn't faded at all. I'm impressed with it. I may try a blue from Splat. Whenever the new tail comes in, probably the end of this month, I'll dye it around then.