Thread: Hi from NZ

Hi from NZ

Hi, I'm Starfire from Christchurch, NZ. I'm 31 and have only just got interested in mermaiding, since I'm in NZ it looks like I'm mostly on my own for learning. I'm a very strong/confident swimmer, although quite out of shape/unfit at the moment. I've never tried swimming with a monofin before, any suggestions on a cheap one to start with, to see if I like it? I'm considering getting one from aliexpress, Probably this one has anyone else tried one from there? They have some really pretty fabric tails too, like these, I'm tempted to order one in a few months to see what they are like, at the least I'd be able to take it apart and use the pretty printed fabric as the outer layer on a home made tail.

I've got really long hair, down past my butt, that's dyed royal blue, so any tips on managing super long hair when it's loose in the water would be cool.

I do SCA, which is medieval re-enactment so I can sew fairly well and am pretty crafty. Since I'm in NZ and shipping to here is a killer I expect I'll end up making pretty much everything myself.

I'm currently a student, studying to be an Architect part time, so lots of time free, but very little money

HELLO I AM IN THE SCA TOO!

Ok now that the important part is over with, welcome to MerNetwork! It's been pretty slow around here so sorry it took so long for anyone to reply.

I will say that the tails sold on Aliexpress and Wish are knockoffs of realy designs that hardworking tailmakers have created. As such, it can be really damaging to the merCommunity when they are sold because the money doesn't stay within the Comm. That being said, I do have a tail from Wish and I don't believe anyone should be shamed for what they can afford, especially just starting out. So I say go for it, get a tail you like and when you can afford a better tail (If you like the sport) then go with an actual maker.
    However, if you are looking for a cheap beginner fabric option, FinFun.com has fabric tails and their own monofin which together probably costs less then that AE tail. They just arn't as pretty, however the tail you posted has a lot of fluke and a lot of fabric which means the weight and the drag will make it pretty difficult for a new tailswimmer.
    My personal advice would be to buy a FinFun monofin, play in it, swim in it, and if you like it and feel good about it, buy a tail from them that will fit the fin. Then start saving up for better quality fabric tails, or start designing your own!

As far as your location, I believe the New Zealand has quite a large MerFamily. I would suggest finding that Pod here as well as on Facebook if they have a group and start going to meetups. Even if you don't have a tail (someone might let you borrow one!) and start making friends. It's always more fun to swim with someone else.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

OMG SMALL WORLD! i'm also in the SCA. That's awsome!

YAY! I think for awhile we had a SCAdian Mer thread in one of the 'other' forums but it's probably long since dead.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Yay for SCAdians!

Thanks for the heads up about the AE tails, I didn't know that. I really don't want to contribute to artist having their designs ripped off, I have enough crafty friends that I understand what a shitty thing that is for them. Perhaps I'll look into custom printing fabric and making my own instead when I want a pretty fabric tail. while exploring on here, I found a link that someone posted to a company that custom prints fabric. Scuba knit and neoprene are both available and it would probably be better quality than anything from aliexpress too.

You can get a custom printed tail but it is likely not very cheap.

Link is likely in German but you can switch to English.

https://www.magictail.net/Meerjungfr...selbst-gemacht

Since I can sew it's cheaper to order from the place I've linked below. That way I can make a pattern that will fit me perfectly and I can use any fin and fin shape I want.

This
    place will custom print on a whole range of fabrics, including scuba knit, neoprene and lycra. and they have a decent (20%) student discount, so even cheaper for me.

"YAY! I think for awhile we had a SCAdian Mer thread in one of the 'other' forums but it's probably long since dead."

Aww... Wish i could've seen that! I still think it's really cool to find people who are into the same things as you. it's like:
    "We're both medieval mermaids.were weird. let's get along."