Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Carolinas?

IvoryLeopard mentioned the aquatic center at Morrisville. Do we know if it allows tails?

The aquatic center might be a good place to go. Especially if it's heated during the winter I'm not sure if they would allow tails, some pools are cautious about things like that, best thing to do would be to ring and ask if they allow tails in their pool.

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    IvoryLeopard mentioned the aquatic center at Morrisville. Do we know if it allows tails?
    I asked about monofins but not tails. I hesitated to ask the lifeguard about it but I already got the weird look when I had to explain what a monofin is. She did stay that fins are okay since she does do laps in them and as long as the pool is not over crowded.

It's a pretty long pool but it only goes to 5 feet deep *grumble* I'm not complaining too much about that since they do keep it open year round.

I can ask about tails when I sign up for year membership. Does anyone know about the pools in Cary or Raleigh?

Early Jan sounds great to me. I'm between tails at the moment so it'll give me some time to patch up the practice tail and work on a new tail.

Well, the city of Raleigh has a list of all the city's pools.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/home/conten...Operation.html

But there aren't any real specific rules posted up concerning fins. I'm betting it's a "call the pool" case by case basis kind of thing.

For right now, the one in Morrisville is our best bet since it is open year round. Could find out how deep the other pools are, when they are open, and if mermaiding is allowed. I would love to find a deeper pool to swim in. I'm tired of accidentally scrapping my fluke on the bottom. :-/

It sounds like Morrisville will be the best bet so far and that it's open all year round is nice too. I've come across a lot of pools around here that close for the winter period. 5ft isn't very deep and will a tail I'm going to need all the space I can. I haven't had much experience swimming in my tail yet so I'm not going to be the most graceful lol. I would be worried too about scraping the fluke on the bottom of the pool. But it's better than nothing I'm looking forward to getting to meet some of you.

Likewise! I am excited and can't wait to meet other mers in the area! Even with babying the tails I still have scrapes and tears from shallow pools. Don't get me started on banging my head on the pool bottom! I do have a good laugh when parents of kids (that are about as tall as I am) yelling at their kids to not go in the "deep" end of 4 feet! I'm 5'5" sans tail!

There's also Cary YMCA. I think it may be indoor and have a "deep" section (depending on what the definition of that is). There's also the Triangle Aquatic center or whatever it's called in Cary.

In Raleigh there's about three that I found that are indoor: Buffaloe Road, Pullen Park and Millbrook Exchange. I don't know what the prices are yet for any of these places.

Do you have to be a member of the Y to use the YMCA pool?

Do you have to be a member of the Y to use the YMCA pool?
    I have no idea. That's a good question. I would like to try out places before I commit to a membership. For general use, I do like that the Morrisville Aquatic Center is in walking distance from my apartment complex. The pool is a decent size but it would be better if it's larger (and deeper).

So mermaids, I know we've been chatting about having a swim meet up in the near future and I just wanted to see how many of us would be able to come? I know there has been a few more people join the forum who are from NC too. I know we don't have any specific dates or anything yet but I was just curious.

Depends on when and where. I'll be visiting my grandmother in Oxford from this Thursday to Saturday, but my dad says we can probably go to Morrisville or Raleigh if any of you guys wanted to meet up!
    Last edited by Mermaid Celissa; 11-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.

Find me on YouTube! -->
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mermaidg...e=results_main

[Because legs are too complicated]

I'll be in North Carolina from Dec 16th to Jan 13th, so I can come to anything in between.
    Last edited by Triton-Mahtlinnie; 11-21-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South

How About A mermiad party meet up at my new house would that work for a meet up spot ,because the new house that i AM MOVING INTO IN JANUARY HAS A HUGE POOL AND YOUR MOREHTNA WELCOME TO USE IF I AM HOME AND KNOWING YOUR COMING
    Last edited by mermanjr; 11-20-2012 at 07:04 PM.

I'll be in Oxford Thursday, Friday, and possibly Saturday. I know for sure I can go to Morrisville and Raleigh, don't know any others for sure. My dad says we'll have plenty of free time and can probably go to one of the indoor pools. Do any of you NC mers want to meet up?
    Last edited by Mermaid Celissa; 11-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Find me on YouTube! -->

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Mermaid View Post
    I am in Mount Pleasant SC does anybody know any mermaids in my area?
    omg I stay in charleston! West ashley to be exact!!

I'll be moving to that area round about the New Year. So if anyone doesn't mind meeting up again around about that time that would be great

I'll actually be in Raleigh, just learned that. I'll have free time from about noon today to tonight, and all day tomorrow, does anyone want to meet up at one of the pools in Raleigh?

Find me on YouTube! -->

Okay I found a list of pools in the triangle with either a heated bubble or indoor and the numbers for them. The ones that look promising for January are Morrisville Aquatic Center, Buffaloe Road Aquatic Center (Raleigh), Millbrook Exchange Center (Raleigh) and Pullen Park (Raleigh). I have not research the ones in Cary but there is the Triangle Aquatic Center. http://www.triangleaquatics.org/

I am going to ask them about us being non members and if we can mermaid/monofin in the pool especially if there's going to be a group of us doing it.

I've noticed that these pools are no where near each other and all charge different rates for residents and non residents. For the most part it seems like $10 and under and at the most, 20-30 min drive (with traffic). How do you all feel about that?

I'll be in North Carolina from Dec 16th to Jan 13th, so I can come to anything in between.
    Cool, my sister will also be in town for some of that time frame, but I don't know if I can convince her to come out with us. What part of Seattle are you in. She's in Alki.

I'm in downtown. Alki isn't terribly far, about a 30 minute bike.

Super excited for this!