Thread: The State of Swim North of the River, in Perth as of May 25th 2020

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+

The State of Swim North of the River, in Perth as of May 25th 2020

Goodness knows who can make use of this, but someone might!

Okay, so The 19 is affecting the world, in some cases devastatingly, but so far Perth has gotten off fairly lightly, and pools across W.A have been allowed to open with restrictions from last week.

But how does that affect merswimming, given the restrictions that we already experience in many pools? Given we're having a once-in-a-decade ex-cyclone happening here it's best not to brave the ocean, in fact, the ocean is coming to us, really.

So if you want a warmer, calmer swim, consider these options North of the River (I'm sorry, I can only attest to around me - good luck South of the River mer and those further North and inland). Well, firstly, Stirling Leisure Centres - Balga, Terry Tyzack and Scarborough. You will need a spotter, and you will need to book. You don't have to be a member. Scarborough pool members can go to the other pools because unfortunately that pool is still closed for maintenance, but you won't have to pay. If you're merswimming, you'll still need your spotter, and they will have to book too. If you've not done a swim test and signed your disclaimer forms I expect you would have to do that too. You need to do it for each centre, one doesn't cover all.

The old standby, Beatty Park is only open to members. Nope, you can't join right now, if you're not a member, membership is frozen. If you have a membership, cool, but you will have to book. It's the outdoor 50 metre pool, not the dive pool.

Thirdly, and the option which I'm bravely going to with Merman Nyola tonight, (yes, we're that keen!) is Claremont Aquatic Centre. They're only taking members, but the good news is, they ARE taking members and it is only $5. This is not
    too harsh, and heck knows I don't mind contributing if they're going to this effort! You still need to book, and they make it rather difficult to figure out how to! Firstly buy your membership and log in. Then look for "GROUP FITNESS SESSIONS" and that's where you can check out the timetable and make bookings. It is not obvious at all, but remember you need log in to do it, and to do that you need to be a member. https://phoenix.claremont.wa.gov.au/Group
    So we've booked a few sessions ahead, and we'll start tonight, brrrr. But at least it's heated. If anyone's keen to join us let us know, and we can let you know the times we expect to be there. Happy swimming 1.5 metres away from everyone!
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Claremont must have had complaints about the opacity of their booking process - https://www.claremont.wa.gov.au/Medi...-a-session.pdf

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Well, we had a lovely swim last night, at the Claremont Aquatic Centre, the water was warm and it was so good to get back in after so many weeks! I swam a kilometre, taking it easy in my Linden/Finfun/HipFlip combination. We practically had the place to ourselves. The lifeguard on duty said that if we book a 50 metre spot, we are welcome to use the attached dive pool (over 3 metres depth!) so that's awesome.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    And I've had information come in that Scarborough Beach Pool will be re-opening on the 6th of June when they expect to finish maintenance. This is part of the Stirling Leisure Centres group so you will need to book, you will need to have a spotter and to do a swim test if you haven't done one there before. Bookings haven't become available yet, but watch this space for when they do.