Thread: Tanks & Tails: Revisiting Mermaids Scuba Diving

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Visit johnleeex's Youtube Channel
    Buoyancy Compensator (BC) (or lack thereof) and mermaid scuba diving..

The mermaids in that youtube video I mentioned at the beginning of the thread do NOT wear BC's. I have some observations about that. First one, of course, is that it looks much sexier for my male eyes than a BC hiding the curvy upper body of a female diver. No surprise there. But what I find interesting is that it works so well. For scuba divers who grew up learning to dive in the last 40 years the idea of diving without a BC is just ridiculous. But I've been diving even longer than that and when I first began scuba diving, the first BC (just converted life vests then) were coming into use. For about ten years - into the eighties- the divers using BC were ridiculed for being wimps, incompetent, uncool, even cowards. Eventually the advantages of a BC won everyone over, of course. But the drag of a BC makes a big difference in how fast you can swim. It looks that the much more powerful thrust of a good monofin makes it even easier to dive without a BC than we did in the old days using floppy bi-fins. Of course, hovering motionless in the water column or floating inches about the bottom without moving doesn't work without a BC. But it works well enough, it seems. I even know a story of a bin-fin dive buddy with a BC who got into trouble in a strong current and his mermaid buddy (no BC, just scuba) just dragged him out of the current with the power of her tail.
    Anyhow, curious what the experienced divers/merfolk think about BC less mermaid diving.
    Last edited by johnleeex; 06-04-2020 at 04:35 AM.