Thread: Does a silicone tail make sense for a hobbyist?

Does a silicone tail make sense for a hobbyist?

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys think of silicone tails for mermaiding as a hobby (i.e. not making any money off of it). Does it make sense to save up for one for a couple of years with all the cons that come with owning one (lugging it around, storing it, having to lube up whenever you put it on, lol). I’m saving up for a tail but can’t make up my mind, because my brain tells me to go for fabric, but everytime I see a Finfolk or Merbella silicone tail my heart skips a beat, because they’re so gorgeous. I do actually think I’d manage the hassle of silicone tails and have the patience to save up horrifying amounts of money, but I just don’t know if it makes any sense to go through the trouble in the first place :/

What do y’all think?

This is probably not the answer you want to hear but I truly believe it is personal preference. I don't have plans to be a professional but my second dream tail could only be done justice with silicone. So I will save up and eventually get it. If you are totally and completely in love with silicone tails and you don't think you'll be happy with any other option and you don't mind the down sides then I say go for it! The way I look at it - there are thousands of hobbyist photographers out there with 10,000 dollars worth of lenses and bodies and gear. So why can't a hobbyist mer spend a few grand on a tail they really love?

OF COURSE - the caveat to that is that you are a strong swimmer and you have experience with tails and the dolphin kick in general. If you have already swam in tails and know you love the sport and know you can be safe then I don't think theres any issue saving up for a silicone. If you answered no to any of those previous questions, spend $50ish on a cheap fabric tail and then start saving up. Practice and swim and love the crap out of an easy fabric tail. That way, you have something to hold you over and keep you remembering why you really want the silicone.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Yes, I’ve swam in tails before and I love it Thanks for the reply! Sometimes I feel silly for wanting to pay the approximate price of a used car or something to basically look and feel like a fish-human, but maybe I should just rock it. In the grand scheme of things, if it doesn’t hurt anyone and it makes me happy, then what’s the harm?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I agree it is ultimately up to you. For me I want a silicone tail for realism of my scales and fluke, to better match the hippocampus I believe and know myself to be. I don't join most hobbys for money or popularity. I do it out of enjoyment. If you rather swim in silicone then do it. If not swim in something else. There isn't a right or wrong choice.

Sent from my SM-J737T using MerNetwork mobile app

Thanks for taking the time to reply I love the look of silicone and I’m down to deal with the hard parts of silicone tail ownership, so I guess it’s reasonable to save up for a silicone, then. Like you said, I’m doing this for me, not anyone else. I just get crippling anxiety about this stuff, because (sorry if TMI) I come from an abusive home and my whole life I’ve been made to feel greedy and undeserving. Feels good to be out of that situation and realize that if I work for my money and budget it well, I’m free to do whatever I want with it without feeling guilty.

Exactly! As long as you aren't neglecting or shirking any other responsibilities then who cares! Not to mention you are helping a small business stay afloat! I have anxiety over big decisions like that too. But hey I try to save up the money and then when I get to the point where I have enough for whatever I wanted, if I still want it I get it. If I don't odds are I stopped saving awhile ago and already spent that money on something else. So if it takes you two years to save up and in two years it's still something you want then you know it isn't just a passing whim and theres no reason to be anxious over the purchase!

My boyfriend said basically the same thing: if I still want to get the tail a few years down the road, I’ve earned it, haha Anyways, thanks for the support, guys!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blobfishcouture View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply I love the look of silicone and I’m down to deal with the hard parts of silicone tail ownership, so I guess it’s reasonable to save up for a silicone, then. Like you said, I’m doing this for me, not anyone else. I just get crippling anxiety about this stuff, because (sorry if TMI) I come from an abusive home and my whole life I’ve been made to feel greedy and undeserving. Feels good to be out of that situation and realize that if I work for my money and budget it well, I’m free to do whatever I want with it without feeling guilty.
    Even if you end up not liking it, you can easily sell it. People are always looking for used silicone tails.

I've been using a cloth tail from the2tails for about 3 years. Learning the skill was not easy, but I am better today than when I first started. Back in December, I found a used silicone tail from Mertailor on eBay that was in my size and a decent price that I could not resist passing up. I almost thought about selling it again due to its weight and how difficult it was to put on. A few days ago, I brought it to a lake and was able to get it on much easier (water seems to be a good lube) and make my first swim in it. That was the best mermaid swim I had ever done.

Unless anyone else has other experiences with theirs, mine did not feel nearly as heavy when I was in the water with it on. I will advise to start with a cloth tail if you are still trying to build your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Unless anyone else has other experiences with theirs, mine did not feel nearly as heavy when I was in the water with it on. I will advise to start with a cloth tail if you are still trying to build your skill.
    That is absolutely true. The water looses you a TON of weight. I was SCUBA certified when Iw as about 15 and my tanks and BCD were so insanely heavy I could barely walk from our gear up site to the shore. But once I was in the water I actually needed weights to help keep me down.

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    I was SCUBA certified when Iw as about 15 and my tanks and BCD were so insanely heavy I could barely walk from our gear up site to the shore. But once I was in the water I actually needed weights to help keep me down.
    This changes if you add more tanks

I also want to add that to this thread that I was not concerned about whether or not it made sense when I bought it. I'm sure a business that hired someone to be their "professional" would also want someone that looked pretty....which I know I do not look good while wearing my mermaid tail. I know that my upgrade from a cloth tail to a silicone tail will never make me any money. None of that matters to me. All that matters is that I enjoy this experience.