Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy from mermaid sonoki?

Anyone buy from mermaid sonoki?

So I recently bought a tail from her despite the controversy. I wanted to see what her tails were like, since the few reviews I found about her were all really good! Anyone have anything to add on (good or bad)?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I had to look her up. She isn't a knock off maker, is she? And she uses a draw string around the waist. I'm officially concerned. Did it come with a monofin as well? You need to be super careful with the monofin if so, especially if it's a knock off. Correct me if I'm wrong. I do love some of the patterns I haven't seen before.

edit - ok apparently she uses the Mahina. Still a little leery. I know Mermaid.Inc uses the Mahina as well so maybe it's a good overseas seller.

I don’t think her tails are knock offs but some of the flukes look almost exactly like finfolk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Yeah I can match up some of those fluke designs with the asian finfolk knock offs you can find on ebay, amazon, wish, etc. The ones that look like they have one fluke inside a larger one, or maybe it's meant to represent large heel fins. If the material isn't thin and the sewing is good, then you might not be screwed over. That drawstring has to be uncomfortable around the waist tho. Guess we'll see when you get it.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Drawstring waist is a terrible idea for mermaid tails.

For example, if an emergency occurs and you need to get out of the tail asap, you have to fumble with knot and drawstring, before you can take the tail off. Anything could happen in those few seconds. When you receive the tail, its best to replace it with an elasticated waist.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Drawstring waist is a terrible idea for mermaid tails.

For example, if an emergency occurs and you need to get out of the tail asap, you have to fumble with knot and drawstring, before you can take the tail off. Anything could happen in those few seconds. When you receive the tail, its best to replace it with an elasticated waist.
    Yah I was planning on modifying it a little bit (including ditching the waste band and adding an elastic waste band instead, plus adding some soft plastic inserts to the fluke to keep it straight and reinforcing all the seams. Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about the different tail sellers, but thanks for the info on draw strings. I've seen tails out there with them and never thought about the importance of needing to quickly remove it.

i think they look neat. cant wait to hear about it once you get it!
    replacing the string with elastic is a great idea! lol
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Here it is! I loved it in the water and Even with the drag I went pretty fast (was also using a suntails monofin- never use a suntails monofin) and it was very pretty.

Pros
    -good fabric (thick spandex, thicker than my sun tails and magic tail)
    -Pretty
    -not too dragy to swim in
    -durable
    -economic ($85 or something plus shipping for the tail)

Cons
    -big ugly black seems on the sides that are pretty noticeable
    -no drainage holes (cut yourself)
    -obviously a bit more drag than a basic fabric tail
    -everyone on Facebook will call you a pos for buying a “knockoff” (but you gotta expect that so)

I’ll post a video review in the review section soon with some footage

Yes, it is a knock off. But you can personalise it without penalty of ruining an expensive tail. Sew or glue on some sequins, open the fabric between the fin tips, etc. Make it your style.

Thank you! I’m thinking of adding sequins (if I can properly sew them on without them falling off) and maybe even more fins! Who knows, the sky’s the limit!

There's a lot of loose fabric in the fluke, but a HUGE fluke. Looks like you can reach some high speeds with that.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    O.o that fluke looks like it causes drag. did it come with a vinyl insert to keep it from being so baggy?
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

It doesn’t come with vinyl but I was thinking of adding some myself. Surprisingly there’s not a ton of drag (all things considered) and even with a suntails monofin I could swim and have a bit of fun. The mahina is what’s recommended

Quote Originally Posted by jaybay View Post
    I've seen tails online that have a monofin inside of part of the fluke. It appears to be that way in the video. Am I right? If so, how does the swimming compare to one with a smaller fluke that is the exact size and shape of the monofin inside?

Anyone buy from mermaid sonoki?

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    I've seen tails online that have a monofin inside of part of the fluke. It appears to be that way in the video. Am I right? If so, how does the swimming compare to one with a smaller fluke that is the exact size and shape of the monofin inside?
    It has a fair amount of drag for sure, I can’t lift my fluke out of the water while Doing the backstroke which I normally can with my suntails and finfun. It’s pretty easy to turn in, and pretty easy to do tricks with (except the fluke will cover your face when you do a flip which is scary at first). You definitely loose about a third of the speed/propulsion you’d get if you were using just the monofin but it’s not bad and I love the look of the fins so it’s worth it to me. I would only recommend this tail for strong swimmers because of the drag, but it’s really easy to get in and out of (even with the drawstring) and otherwise safe and fairly easy to use.

At some points while in the water, I want to be able to see mine. That's been one of the few problems since I got a silicone tail. It could just be that particular make, but I can't poke my fluke above the water line every so often as I can with my fabric tail...too heavy.

When you showed that one picture, I assumed there was a giant monofin inside of it that could double as a mid-eval shield.

I don't see any drainage channels. You can undo the some of the stitches in between the fin tips, to allow water and air bubbles to travel through the tail easier. It won't feel so heavy to swim in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I don't see any drainage channels. You can undo the some of the stitches in between the fin tips, to allow water and air bubbles to travel through the tail easier. It won't feel so heavy to swim in as well.
    Yah I actually ended up doing that before I swam and I might cut a few more to make it easier.