Thread: Heya, nice to meet you!

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod

Heya, nice to meet you!

Hey there, I'm Neon! I'm a long time swimmer that is obsessed with fantasy, but also as a very plus sized person I sort of always shied away from trying the whole mer-thing since I never felt pretty and sleek enough to do it. My partner finally talked me into reaching out to other merpeople and giving it a try. I am looking to buy my first monofin (but probably not a full tail yet) sometime this week.

Oh and I'm from Colorado. Cold water here! Lovely to meet you all!

Hello and welcome to MN! I completely understand your hesitation and it is important to take your time and not feel rushed or forced into a decision like this. But it is very exciting that you are trying to dip your fluke into this gorgeous and amazing world. There are a number of folk who don't fit into the stereotypical sleek and skinny mermaid type but it is always great to see more! The amazing thing about mermaiding an mersona building and tailswimming is that because merfolk are a fantasy, you can make your character whatever you want them to be! I am not comfortable with my body so my torso is entirely covered and I have a ton of accessories when I swim because it makes me feel better. Just do whatever you gotta do to stay happy and remember this is an activity for you and no one else.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I completely understand how you feel. I am a VERY plus sized mer atm. The thing I love about the mermaid community is they accept everyone regarding of who they are or what size they are. They don’t care about age, race, gender, size, disability, lgbt, nothing. They accept everyone. There are a few bad “tails”, but every community has a few bad eggs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of mermaiding. I just bought my first tail. I’m like you, love to swim. Have always wanted to be a mermaid and now I am. Eventually I want to become a certified mermaid swimming instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. <3 I love hearing about inclusiveness within the mercommunity. I'm learning to let go of being scared of what someone might think about me or my body in favor of just being glad I can enjoy myself and hopefully bring someone else a little joy in the process. After talking with a few people in my facebook group I've decided to go ahead and order an XL finfun tail. There's a chance it won't fit me. A big chance if I'm being honest, but it's the best I can manage at the moment. I've been seriously considering trying to sew my own. I'm not a super skilled seamstress but I've been doing costume and garb sewing in renaissance and historical recreation groups for ages. We'll see how this goes. <3

Quote Originally Posted by NeonHyena View Post
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. <3 I love hearing about inclusiveness within the mercommunity. I'm learning to let go of being scared of what someone might think about me or my body in favor of just being glad I can enjoy myself and hopefully bring someone else a little joy in the process. After talking with a few people in my facebook group I've decided to go ahead and order an XL finfun tail. There's a chance it won't fit me. A big chance if I'm being honest, but it's the best I can manage at the moment. I've been seriously considering trying to sew my own. I'm not a super skilled seamstress but I've been doing costume and garb sewing in renaissance and historical recreation groups for ages. We'll see how this goes. <3
    That is super awesome! I really hope it fits you.If not, maybe you can utilize the monofin still. Sewing a tail honestly isn't too difficult, just make sure you get a four way stretch fabric and use a zigzag stitch on your machine. It really is a fun process of designing, patterning and sewing your own tail.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Hello there. I too got an interest in this hobby a few years ago and just recently found and signed up in this community. I already started mermaid swimming and own 2 tails: first is a cloth tail from the2tails I bought a few years ago which I allowed me to gain the swimming skills. I never originally intended on it, but the opportunity presented itself for a silicone tail from Mertailor that I bought at the end of last year and first swam in this past weekend. Just like you say, I also do not have a body that would present well, plus I am a male so I keep this a secret from friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Hello there. I too got an interest in this hobby a few years ago and just recently found and signed up in this community. I already started mermaid swimming and own 2 tails: first is a cloth tail from the2tails I bought a few years ago which I allowed me to gain the swimming skills. I never originally intended on it, but the opportunity presented itself for a silicone tail from Mertailor that I bought at the end of last year and first swam in this past weekend. Just like you say, I also do not have a body that would present well, plus I am a male so I keep this a secret from friends and family.
    I'm so sorry you have to keep it a secret. It's unfair that you should be judged for something that brings you joy, but I grew up in the midwest and understand that different is not better there.

I got my finfun fabric tail in the mail today and immediately went down to the lake to try it. OMG it is SO MUCH FUN!!!! I swam almost two miles in it, which I will probably be feeling in my core and thighs tomorrow morning but SO WORTH IT!! I should have started doing this years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonHyena View Post
    I'm so sorry you have to keep it a secret. It's unfair that you should be judged for something that brings you joy, but I grew up in the midwest and understand that different is not better there.
    The way I see it, I have 2 choices: tell someone, or tell no one. If I tell someone, it could then go good or bad. However it goes, it would be a one way road and I can't go back. As long as I am keeping it a secret, then I sacrifice the potential good to avoid a potential bad...and I have the choice to change my mind about it later. It kind of sucks that I'll never know if good could come out of it. So instead of risking spending the rest of my life trying to convince others that I don't have a mental disorder, I find it much easier to keep the secret and enjoy it in private.

BTW, congrats on your new tail. Yes, they are enjoyable.

hellow mer-hyena!
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Hello adorable kelpie!