Thread: Mahina - sizing up?

Question Mahina - sizing up?

I have an OG Mahina (from the first release when they were called Oceanika) that's supposed to be for US women's size 6-8. I wear a US women's 8.5 and obviously it's too small. I've made it work (read: forced my feet into it and smiled through the pain because years of doing pointework in ballet teaches you that wonderful skill), but now that I'm about to jump into making a better tail, I want to size up so I can really enjoy it.

I have high arches, but my feet are on the narrow side of average. My main issues with the small have to do with the length of the foot pocket and a bit of rubbing on the top of my foot. I have narrow heels so I don't really have problems with the straps.

My question is this: should I size up to an adult medium Mahina (suggested for size 8.5-10.5) or go with the Large (size 10.5-12.5)?
    *formerly MerAriel*

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Medium. You can wear thick neoprene socks, and still have room for the feet to move and flex without pain.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I would size up. I'm a medium and bought medium but omg it was hard to get in and really hurt my feet. I have a high Bridge on my foot too so swapped it for a large, then I put my mahina foot pockets down in a hot bath and had massive bottles if shampoo and conditioner, and really pushed them in the foot pockets to stretched them and left them in there for a day. Did this twice and it's worked brill

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

I would size up. The medium is EU size 40-42. I have size 40, and it's too small for me. If I ever buy a mahina, I'm getting the 42-44.

Thank y'all, I ended up going with the large. I decided I'd rather go big and need neoprene booties than hurt my arches.

I'll update when it arrives! Fins crossed!
    *formerly MerAriel*

Being a guy, for the first swimmable tail I bought, I went with their largest size. Although they said that they serve anyone, the measurements seemed to assume that their customer base would be females. Their largest size is a nice fit for me, but if I was to get any heavier, it probably wouldn't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Being a guy, for the first swimmable tail I bought, I went with their largest size. Although they said that they serve anyone, the measurements seemed to assume that their customer base would be females. Their largest size is a nice fit for me, but if I was to get any heavier, it probably wouldn't anymore.
    Yes, I would agree that they should add a larger size if they want to cater to men. Though I could see that being a future move for them? They didn’t go above a women’s size 8 at all when I bought my first Merfin so I guess they may just be moving slowly to make sure the larger sizes sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *formerly MerAriel*

Quote Originally Posted by MissMermaidMegan View Post
    Yes, I would agree that they should add a larger size if they want to cater to men. Though I could see that being a future move for them?
    My first was from the2tails through eBay. I guess they made their move of catering to everyone when they asked if I wanted the matching bikini which I kindly rejected. That was now 3 years ago and I don't see any changes to their sizing chart though.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    My first was from the2tails through eBay. I guess they made their move of catering to everyone when they asked if I wanted the matching bikini which I kindly rejected. That was now 3 years ago and I don't see any changes to their sizing chart though.
    I would contact them and say you want to see larger sizes! If they got enough requests I bet they'd branch out more.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLiara View Post
    I would size up. The medium is EU size 40-42. I have size 40, and it's too small for me. If I ever buy a mahina, I'm getting the 42-44.
    What's weird about this is I wear a 39 in Euro sized shoes (Birkenstocks and LaDucas, which are a dance heel), which is suppose is more equivalent to a US size 8. That also puts me in the small I currently have according to the Mahina size chart. I really think they just need to adjust their size recommendations.
    *formerly MerAriel*

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    What's weird about this is I wear a 39 in Euro sized shoes (Birkenstocks and LaDucas, which are a dance heel), which is suppose is more equivalent to a US size 8. That also puts me in the small I currently have according to the Mahina size chart. I really think they just need to adjust their size recommendations.
    that might be.
    I bought a medium which is supposed to be up to size 42, and I wear 40 usually.
    Turns out, it fits VERY snugly, no wiggle room, it seems almost a bit too small honestly, which means I cannot wear socks with it and that is a big no-no with the medieval torture instrument that the Mahina really is

but then, I'm not sure if the problem would be solved with a large size because I have high arches, and the Mahina seems to be meant for really flat-footed people.
    it's also very heavy tbh. It's definitely not the fin for me, sadly.

I would contact them and say you want to see larger sizes! If they got enough requests I bet they'd branch out more.
    Their largest size was okay for me. The material has a bit of stretch to it, so I can keep using it if I grow or shrink my waist size. It seems that they also cater to kids of different age groups, so their variety of sizes already cover most of the community.