Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid pen pals? 🧜*♀️ ✉️

Mermaid pen pals? 🧜*♀️ ✉️

Hello everyone!

I'm just curious - does anyone here have a pen pal hobby?

I used to have a very active pen pal hobby, then life hit me really hard. I want to re-start it and I was thinking recently... it would be AMAZING to have mer pen pals! I mean, just imagine the fun stationary we could use! And we could talk about our mer-adventures and dreams together.

I'm a bit worried no one would like to be my mer-pen pal because I'm quite land-locked right now, no tail, etc. Basically I'm as un-mer as possible for now. But I'm trying to change that, maybe talking about my journey would be fun?

Anyway just throwing this idea out there! Thanks so much for listening. 🧜*♀️ ✉️

Arctic Mermaid

Pen pal? I'll be a "pal".....but the "pen" part is not going to work out for me. In this day and age of technology, good luck at finding one. Sorry, I do not mean any offense at all...but writing easily covered 90% of what was required of me through grade school. Since entering the work world, the most writing I do is on a Post-it note to let a coworker know that someone called for them. If I need to hand deliver anyone anything more than a sentence fragment, it will be typed up and printed.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticMermaid View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm just curious - does anyone here have a pen pal hobby?

I used to have a very active pen pal hobby, then life hit me really hard. I want to re-start it and I was thinking recently... it would be AMAZING to have mer pen pals! I mean, just imagine the fun stationary we could use! And we could talk about our mer-adventures and dreams together.

I'm a bit worried no one would like to be my mer-pen pal because I'm quite land-locked right now, no tail, etc. Basically I'm as un-mer as possible for now. But I'm trying to change that, maybe talking about my journey would be fun?

Anyway just throwing this idea out there! Thanks so much for listening. 隆*♀️ ✉️

Arctic Mermaid
    I love penpaling! But to be honest, after one or two letters I find it difficult to find things to talk about. Part of it is just my own idea that the letters need to be really long to be worth sending. Plus I am used to texting in short bursts or instant gratification of facebook and whatnot. But I'd really love a good penpal that I can click with. But honestly, even if only a few letters got sent at least some is better then none! And don't worry about being land-locked and tailless. Being a mer is about what is in your heart. I am landlocked too and havn't been in a pool in like two years. But I still just threw a bunch of money at a custom tail and I love the hobby.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I think this hobby was replaced by emails, chats and personal messages. The personal messages work here as well.

The advantage is that you can send multimedia content as well.

K Swim - no worries! If you decide you'd like to take up pen palling, just let me know.

theMerFanc - wow yay!! Don't worry, I completely understand. Actually as a busy working mom, short letters are GREAT for me right now! If you ever want to try, feel free to PM me.

fabianfrz - there's just something special about getting a letter in my mailbox that isn't junk mail or bills.

Also in love with all the mermaid themed letter writing stationary I'm finding, like this kit for example.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I always liked this idea, but when I try to spread it in forums (example, exchanging xmas cards and such) it is always so hard to get anyone into it. I'd appreciate getting letters and random goodies in the mail, sure you can send stuff online but that's not the point.

I think sometimes half the problem is that someone you don't know hads your personal home address, they could be anyone that's why messages on say Facebook or instagram, if things get weird you can block the. This happened to me recently

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

This set is lovely
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticMermaid View Post
    K Swim - no worries! If you decide you'd like to take up pen palling, just let me know.

theMerFanc - wow yay!! Don't worry, I completely understand. Actually as a busy working mom, short letters are GREAT for me right now! If you ever want to try, feel free to PM me.

fabianfrz - there's just something special about getting a letter in my mailbox that isn't junk mail or bills.

Also in love with all the mermaid themed letter writing stationary I'm finding, like this kit for example.

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    I used to be really active with a few penpals in my witchy group. We would send all sorts of letters and little trinkets back and forth, but it's kind of the sort of thing you have to keep doing or you lose the habit. Once the habit is gone it gets really easy to just kind of...quit. We still message each other on occasion, but it really isn't the same.

As I said already, writing covered 90% of what was required of me in grade school. I remember a few times they tried to encourage students into a "pen pal" program, but most of us refused because we did too much writing already. I guess one could say that the will to do any kind of writing activity has been burnt out of me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I always liked this idea, but when I try to spread it in forums (example, exchanging xmas cards and such) it is always so hard to get anyone into it. I'd appreciate getting letters and random goodies in the mail, sure you can send stuff online but that's not the point.
    I'd be happy to send you letters and random goodies! I agree, there's just something special about snail mail. I think it's even more magical since everyone is doing everything online these days. If you'd like to be pen pals, send me a PM! Or would you like me to send you one?

the.tattooed.mermaid78 - that's completely understandable. I guess I feel like it's worth the risk to possibly build lifelong friendships. I found lots of other beautiful mermaid stationary, I might have to lock up my wallet! lol

NeonHyena - oh me too! But in my case, I had a lot of unexpected problems hit me all at once. Luckily those resolved, but then the virus hit and I thought it might be pointless to try restarting it now. But I saw other people on pen pal sites still being active, and then it hit me - it would be amazing to have mer pen pals! So I wanted to ask on here right away. If you ever decide you'd like to try again like I am, feel free to PM me ok?

K Swim -
    K - again no worries! You don't have to start a pen pal hobby.

If I ever sent anything your way in the mail, it wouldn't be anything hand written...maybe something made.

Before buying a silicone tail, I was going to attempt to make one. My effort to make a mold to repeatedly use to make individual scales did not work out so well. I gave up on that project but the itch successfully make a mold is still there. If I master the skill at making one, or several, I'll keep you in mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Runa's Avatar

Follow Runa on Tumblr
    I love penpaling as a hobby!
    I like making and decorating stationery, or sending flat trinkets like stickers or bookmarks too!
    If you're still around looking for one I'd definitely be open to sending you a letter!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Penpaling isn't a safe hobby in Covid times.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Well if you wait till you open the letter that should be ok i guess. But i would love to pen pal with you but being in France that would be way too long waiting for you till the letter comes since i guess your in the us. You could email if you want i know it's not the same but better than nothing.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Runa's Avatar

Follow Runa on Tumblr
    The virus is spread primarily through aerosol particles, not surface contact. Mail is pretty safe.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Runa View Post
    The virus is spread primarily through aerosol particles, not surface contact. Mail is pretty safe.
    Aerosol particles come from sneezing, breathing etc. If one wipes their nose and then touches the paper, then the contact is transferred

I know it sounds like paranoia but, with the virus constantly mutating, and travelling, I'm not taking a risk of sending/receiving mail through hand to hand contact. Yes, they wear gloves but there still is a risk of someone sneezing or breathing on the mail.
    Formerly known as ireneho

You can send emails and you can wait some time. If reading your letter can wait you can put it on the side for some days and the virus will die because it has no host.

Well according to this website : https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-...es-on-surfaces Paper Examples: mail, newspaper The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days. So if your really scared wait up to 6 days to be sure you are ok and then open it i guess. I mean sure we must protect ourselves because it's quite serious and potentially letal (depending on how young and healthy you are or not, well being young but not so healthy i know as i have severe anxiety thanks to the situation and i'm on med for it), but we must live the best we can and i dont think taking your precautions that sending paper letters to penpals would be dangerous enough not to worth it...i think if even fear everything corona related me thinks it's ok then it's probably is.

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    I'd totally be down for pen-palling.
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****